Whistler Blackcomb recommendations?

2,279 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I are looking into going to Whistler Blackcomb in January.

We've never been there and have been looking at staying in the Aspens, which is next to the Fairmont Chateau at the base of Blackcomb.

Would it be better for us to stay in the village area closer to the base of Whistler? If we do indeed stay at the base of Blackcomb, is the walk to the village area far?

Where are the majority of the bars, restaurants, shops, and other non-ski activities located? (I'm assuming they are in the village area?)

Just looking for some general advice here.

Thanks.
Rebel96
AG
I think you'll be in the upper village. It'll be a short hike to the village from where you are, but you can take the shuttle bus from the north village. The buses run on a pretty good schedule. A lot of people catch it after they get cleaned up and head out for the night. If you rent a car you can easily drive to the parking lot just outside the village (it clears out after the lifts close and is never crowded) or you can drive around and find a place within the village area (those are mostly hourly parking I believe). I've never stayed inside the village. I normally stay in a ski in ski out condo. So I know it's really easy to get to the village, but walking, taking the bus or driving. And by driving from the Upper Village I mean all of about 5-10 minutes. Everything is located in the village - apres ski, restaurants, bars, shopping, clubs, grocery and liquor stores. I've been a handful of times so if you need restaurant or bar recs. let me know.
BaylorGuy314
I like the Aspens because it is a ski in/ski out which is nice. But I wanted to make sure it wasn't a huge hassle to get to the village.

To be honest, I like the idea of staying in the village, but it's a lot more expensive and I didn't want to stay that far away from the lifts when a ski in/ski out is available.

Thanks for the advice!

[This message has been edited by BaylorGuy314 (edited 7/7/2009 5:16p).]
youandwhosearmy
I think the cost savings, and ski in ski out make the upper village worth it. Its no hassle at all getting to Whistler. I usually end up skiing Blackcomb most of the time. But now that they have the peak to peak, you can do both the same day.

I have stayed in the village, in upper village, Pemberton and even Squamish. If you are going to rely on a car to get around, know that they REALLY crack down on drunk driving. Lots of checkpoints on the main road.
BaylorGuy314
Main road being the road between the Upper Village and Whistler Village or are you refering to Hwy 99?

Either way, it shouldn't be an issue as my wife and I don't drink (heavily) and drive, but I would like to knock down a few in Whistler Village with dinner and drive home without having to worry.
PlanoAg98
AG
I've stayed in Whistler at least 2 dozen while living in Vancouver.

Upper Village is not that long of a walk. I always liked to stay in Village North. You get a lot more for your money than Whistler Village or Upper Village. It's a very short walk to the lifts and Whistler Village, so there's no need for a shuttle.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/accommodations/map/index.htm
BaylorGuy314
How short of a walk from Village North to the lifts? (Guesstimate for me if you will.)
GigEmAgs08
AG
whistler blackcomb is BA!
PlanoAg98
AG
It's an easy 10 minutes from Village North to the Whistler lifts. Just wears some shoes and carry your gear. You can lock your shoes and other personals in the lockers at the bottom of the lifts.
BaylorGuy314
Just saw that this thread made the table of contents, so I will add onto it.

We went to Whistler/Blackcomb to ski in January 2010. Stayed 6 days/7 nights.

We got in a day early and stayed in Vancouver at a hotel off of Broadway. We only did this because we got in really late and wanted to make the trek to Whistler during the daylight hours.

Customs was a breeze at the airport, rental car was easy as well. (A little bit of a trek through a couple of parking garages to get to the rental car place, but it was fine.)

I did get lost leaving the airport because of my stupidity. I would've appreciated a little more signage, but it's my responsibility not to get lost, not theirs to guide me to my exact destination. Great roads though and very clean place.

On the drive up (which took about 2 hours), there is no need to snow chains or 4wd in our experience. They do a good job keeping the roads clear. The base was about 130" when we went although it was a hair warmer than normal (or so I was told) with the average morning temps being about 30/27/24 (base/mid/peak), getting up to probably 35/32/28 midday and then falling to about 28/24/21 at night. (All of those are in degrees Fahrenheit.)

We stayed at the Aspens, a ski-in, ski-out in the upper village. This map is very helpful: http://www.lechamoiswhistlerhotel.com/maps/whistler-map-large.jpg Anything above the parking lots in the middle of that map is considered upper village- or, that was my understanding at least.

From the Aspens, we walked down the ski slope, through the fitzsimmons trail, and then into the village. I'd say it was a 10 minute walk or so. It was not as bad as I thought. There is also a bus that runs.

If it were me, I'd stay within walking distance of the village because you'll likely be there every night- that's where the restaurants are, where the apres is, etc. But, I liked having a ski-in/ski-out, so our location was ideal to me.

Restaurants: We ate out every night, dining at Citta's twice, Old Spaghetti Factory once, Three Below, and Earl's twice.

Citta's had some of the best pizza I've ever had in my life. Good serving sizes- we left with a decent sized doggie bag both times. The restaurant is a bar downstairs and a restaurant upstairs. It's a no big deal place, so attire is super casual, which was nice after a long day of skiing. Food was mostly diner type- burgers, pizza, pastas. We had the pizza both times and some onion rings. Holy cow that was good eats.

Earl's was probably my second favorite place. Very good burgers and great fettuccine alfredo. Didn't have anything else other than beer, so can't comment.

Three Below was actually good as well. It's in the basement of the movie theater building. Had a grilled chicken dish. I'd recommend it, but it's not one that you just have to try.

I looked forward to Old Spaghetti Factory the most and while it was good and was always packed, I was pretty disappointed overall. Again, it wasn't bad and I'd eat there again, but both my wife and I agreed that we've had much better italian at a small fraction of the price.

Onto prices- everything is expensive here. Everything. (Or it seemed expensive to me.) Our normal meal out would be about $50-60 with no alcohol and limited (or no) appetizers. It was not uncommon to spend $15-20pp on the main course and then throw in tip and tax.

Since we were at a ski-in/ski-out, we ate lunch at the condo every day. I don't regret doing that but I do regret buying all of our groceries from the market there at Whistler. I'd compare their market to a small brookshires- quality stuff, yes, but ridiculously overpriced. My wife paid $5 USD for a small box of poptarts. A half pound of no-name mild cheddar (sliced at the deli) was about $10/lb. It was just really expensive.

What I'd recommend you do in hindsight is stop in Squamish- a town about 40 minutes south of Whistler that you'll drive through on your way up. They have a Walmart there right off the road you'll be on. I'd buy all my non-refrigerated groceries there and then only buy the things that need to stay cold up in Whistler.

I can elaborate more on the mountain, but what do I say? It's enormous. I've skied Vail and thought it was big. Compared to Whistler, it's small potatoes. I'd say it's a bit more difficult than CO skiing. Some of the blues at Whistler would probably be blacks some places and some of the greens might be blues some places, but there is plenty of room for beginners as well, so don't steer away if someone in your party hasn't skiied before.

The mountain is weird in that it's got a vertical rise of about 5000'. For comparison sake, Breckenridge only has about a 3000' rise I believe. Vail only has a rise of about 3500'. Jackson Hole is 4000'. In fact, Blackcomb has more vertical rise than all but one other mountain in North America. The vertical rise is not so strange but the base elevation is because it's only about 2200' above sea level.

So, what you end up with, is distinctive climate zones at the base, mid-mountain, and peak. When we went, it was not uncommon for it to be raining and soft at the base, be absolutely a whiteout at midmountain, and then be above the clouds and much more clear at the peak. Just strange to go through all of that compared to CO where you start off way up there.

Anyways, great runs, great grooming- awesome skiing mountain as advertised. Skiing was expensive though as we paid about $350pp (I think) for a 4/5 pass (ski 4 times in 5 days). There are a few places online where you can save on this and I'd definitely check it out ahead of time.

I own boots but rented skis. My wife rented both. Rentals were about 20% more than in CO across the board. We used Spicy Sports for our rentals only to find out (after we had rented) that we had a ski shop in the bottom of our condo complex. Equipment was good, I'd recommend them.

Let's see- what else do you want to know? Best ski mountain ever. EVER! Great town, great eats, great people. Costly, but it is what it is.

We used VRBO for our rental. Highly recommend using that site. We've had zero complaints.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.