Asheville, North Carolina

3,401 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by el aggie
Tom in College Station
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Headed to the Asheville area in August. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do besides the Biltmore Estate? We'd like to do some gemstone hunting. Anyone done that in NC?

TIA!
chico
AG
don't know about gemstones, but it is a beautiful city. You should explore it. Also the Blue Ridge Parkway is nearby and is a very, very nice drive or biking with hiking trails & quite scenic.
They have some railroad trip for tourists also.
piag94
AG
I know someone in Blowing Rock that owns an Inn and can hook you up with kayaking, hiking etc. If you're interested give me your email. Great guy.
Tom in College Station
Thanks, piag. Let me check with Mrs TiCS and get back with you.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
We went through there last June. I'd highly recommend driving the Blue Ridge Parkway - truly spectacular scenery. Just be ready for the road to "disappear" in the clouds.

As for Asheville, for some reason we could not help but be reminded of Austin. Perhaps it was the dude wearing a dress walking down a sidewalk through what looked like an artsy area of town ...
Dr. Devil Dog
Blowing Rock is a great daytrip from Asheville, especially if the Mrs. wants to do a little shopping
chick79
AG
Beautiful place:

VikingNik
AG
Grandfather Mountain is nearby I think, and worth a visit. Asheville has become an artist commune and there are plenty of galleries from what I hear.
AgLaw96
AG
Have friend that lives in Maggie Valley. I would day trip to some of the towns around Asheville like Franklin, Maggie Valley, Cherokee, etc. Blue Ridge Pkwy, Waterfalls, etc. Take your camera beautiful scenery.
piag94
AG
the drive up the mountain to BR in October is amazing!
aggieaphrodite
Used to live in Boone, NC.. Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome. Very touristy when the leaves change colors. Nice for hiking, taking serene photos and picnics.
duck79
AG
Has anyone ever been to Bald Head Island in NC? Going there in July to play some golf and relax.
PBJ Time
I second Blue Ridge Parkway. Also Mount Pisgah is great. There is a ranch and a cutesy mountain restaurant. Oh such beautiful country up there. I'm jealous.
Deerslayer65
Budget a day for the Biltmore....and don't forget the Winery....Awesome tour! I also did some fly fishing....there are a number of good guides in the area!

EDIT: CHECK OUT THE chocolate places downtown....awesome!!!

[This message has been edited by Deerslayer65 (edited 7/1/2009 3:19p).]
Agism95
Thanks for posting this. We are headed there this weekend with the kids. Had hoped to get there on Thursday but because of work we won't make the Parkway until Saturday. We are wondering what the traffic will be like.

We are planning on staying in Asheville on Sunday night and possibly hanging around on Monday.
grassmastersbcs
We are also heading that way in August. We'll be in the Boone/Blowing Rock area for a couple days, then plan on taking the BRP down to Asheville and spending a few days there. We've been to Boone/Blowing Rock before, but this will be our first trip to Asheville. Any suggestions on stops on the BRP to Asheville to see waterfalls? We plan on taking a day at the Biltmore, and we would like to go rafting or kayaking sometime during the trip. Any suggestions on good rafting places?
Agism95
I haven't been but we will be staying in Asheville on Monday. It was suggested for us to go to Chimney Rock Falls which is where Last of the Mohicans was filmed. I can tell you if it was worth it when we get back.
Blanco Ag
AG
It's a great place to visit. I was there a few months ago. Not long enough to hit alot of places, but particularly enjoyed this place:
http://www.jackofthewood.com/

Great local brewery. (Powerful-strong beer.)
Agism95
Chimney Rock was beautiful!!!! We took the elevator to the top of the rock and took in the site. Gorgeous! Then we hiked the short trail to the bottom of the falls. Amazing. We all got in. Unfortunately the top trail that takes you to the top of the falls was closed.

We ate a a neat place in Asheville that was New Orleans style. Pretty good. We got in about dinner time and headed out first thing in the morning for Chimney Rock.

The day before we drove the parkway from Boone, almost to Asheville. A fabulous drive. We pulled over a number of times to hike. My 5 year old loved it! We always found a creek to get wet in. Good thing we had our luggage with us so we had dry clothes. Be prepared to get wet.
kgirlatl
The Grove Park Inn is pretty cool, as I remember it. I was there at Christmas as a teenager.
average_joker
AG
Headed up here at the end of the month. Any new suggestions or reports?
Potcake
AG
Wife and I went earlier this year and loved it. As Cinco Ranch mentioned, it does have an Austin feel.
Here is another link with some of the places we ate. Enjoy.
http://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2448573/replies/38932700
el aggie
AG
When we went, we got passes for the Biltmore on Craigslist for probably half off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.