Colombia

1,185 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by The Kraken
defroach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was looking at a new years place, my soon-to-be wife is going to be staying at home for this trip and wants me to go out and be able to travel some (as long as its a place she doesnt have that much of an interest in). So, has anybody been? I was looking at Cartagena, and dont really know much about Colombia. Any suggestions there? R/T to Bogota was around 700, so that is why I am asking...
Dr. Devil Dog
Saw an article in the NYT maybe about 6 months ago talking about Medellin (sp) and how much it has changed

That's all I have

Spore Ag
Loved Cartegena however it was hot and not so cheap as it is a huge latin tourist town. Tons of history. It was the capital of the Spanish Main.I did not feel unsafe at all. I now want to go to Meddien(sp again).
defroach
What is in Medillin? Never heard of it before this thread? Do you have a copy of that article?
Spore Ag
Thanks for the correct spelling. I just have had reliable friends recommend Medillin. Said it is a modern city with strong city ordinance about green spaces. Same fellow traveler that is leading me to Nazca in 3 weeks.
Nomad
AG
My sister lives in Bogota and is actually vacationing in Cartagena right now. I will ask her about the trip when she gets back.
defroach
Yeah, thanks for that. I am sort of just in the theoretical phase of planning a trip. I can get the r/t to Bogota for cheap enough, but still deciding how easy it is (w/out too much money) to get to Cartagena as well....
ce1994
AG
defroach:

Pablo Escobar was from Medellin.
The Kraken
AG
Colombia is great....beautiful, varied country and very friendly people. Bogota is a nice city. I rented a car and drove to Villa de Leyva (cool, arsty old colonial town) several hours to the north...now that was an adventure! I hope to see Cartagena, Medellin and "la zona cafetera" (Manizales, Pereira and Armenia area) someday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.