Tortola BVI

1,777 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by RossG_2
IMnAg79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My fiance and I are honeymooning at Rosewood Little Dix Bay (no pun intended) and booked their Romance package. This includes a Trimaran Day Sail, two massages, cocktail cruise of some sort, etc... and the package comes with complimentary snorkeling, day trips to other locales, etc...

Has anyone been to this area and what are must sees? I've convinced her to go fishing one day, so what are your recommendations for that?

Going in mid-June...Thanks
Potcake
AG
It would be more enjoyable if you sailed over to Virgin Gorda where the resort is.

We actually liked VG much better than Tortola. Don't forget day trips to Jost Van Dyke and Anegada.
Throwout
AG
My wife and I honeymooned there this past September. We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The main thing I would recommend is going to The Baths. I'm sure you've already heard about it a bunch, but the snorkeling there is incredible. Just ask the hotel when to go there so that you can avoid the cruise ships. When my wife and I went, there were only two other couples at The Baths. I also recommend picking out a beach each day and just going there and relaxing for several hours.

We went to Mountain Trunk, Valley Trunk, The Baths and then hung out in some reefs just off Necker Island. All of these are a must. Also, if you get tired of the beach, there are some pretty decent hiking trails at the resort. I think that one is called "Cow Herd Trail" or something like that--it's on the way up to the spa on the left side, you'll see it. It's about an hour hike, but it takes you to the top of the island and you can't beat the view from up there. You can see the whole island from there.

Day trips are cool if you're wanting to do something different. I would take recommendations from the staff on where to go.

My wife and I did the romance package as well, so be sure to do all of the things that you paid for. The cocktail cruise is fun and I recommend doing it earlier in the trip because you will be able to meet other couples at the resort--we ended up having dinner with several of them. The sail trip was awesome--we were the only couple on the boat. My wife doesn't like to snorkel too much so she stayed on the boat and read while the captain took me to some really cool spots in the reefs. One location had about a 6' nurse shark sleeping under the reefs.

Since you've already paid for the meals, eat your a$$ off. If you want 3 entrees, get 3 entrees--if you want 3 desserts, get 3 desserts. You don't have a limit on what you can order food-wise. Alcohol is a whole other story, though. The best advice we got was from the gentleman that brought our bags to the room regarding alcohol. The hotel gives you a complimentary bottle of local rum in your room, a couple of Cokes and some lime-type soda to make Rum Tings (don't worry, it's all free). When you don't have any more Cokes, order a pitcher of their passion fruit juice from room service--it's about $10. You'll have plenty of alcohol and punch for the next couple of days and you won't have to pay for their drinks on the beach. Trust me, two drinks on the beach will run you about $30.

Get the massages early in the time that you're there--it gets things started off perfectly. Lastly, keep in mind that tip is already included in your bill and you paid for it with the package. Don't get scared thinking that you'll get a bill for the tip at the end of your trip--unless of course you decide to add more tip onto the bill.

Let me know if you have any questions. I promise, you guys are going to have a blast there.
Bismarck
AG
The Baths should be number 1 on your list. It's the coolest place in the islands. Besides that, Cane Garden Bay has a great beach, The Bomba Shack is worth visiting (especially on a full moon), Lobster at Harris's (I think that's the name).
Bismarck
AG
Oh, you should also go to the Arendale's Rum Distillery. It is tucked away in Cane Garden Bay and they've made rum there for something like 200 years. They're one of the few rum distillers that makes their rum from pure cane sugar. Many other distillers buy their stuff to mix with their own. You can buy a bottle for about $3.

[This message has been edited by Toni Reauxmeaux (edited 5/26/2009 11:08a).]
jpb1999
AG
I am not positive on this and not trying to take away from your post, but most good rum distillers use real cane sugar molasses. At least all the ones I have been to and drink.

Bismarck
AG
You're right, most distilleries use real cane sugar molasses. Arundel (I misspelled this the first time) is made from pure cane juice, not molasses.

http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/cgb_callwood_distillery.html
jpb1999
AG
Looks like a neat place, thanks for the link...

However squeezing and boiling down sugar cane juice IS molasses. The first boiling is called first molasses, and so on. It sounds like Callwood is using the first molasses without adding sulphur dioxide.

[This message has been edited by jpb1999 (edited 5/26/2009 12:42p).]
SW AG80
AG
We spent a week there 2 summers ago. We enjoyed going over to Tortola for a day's break from the sun. Did some shopping and went to Pusser's Bar. You could also take a day trip over to the sister resort--Caneel Bay--on St. Johns. We went there last summer and really like that island. The Baths are the best thing around Little Dix, and the place to eat at the top of the Baths (that may even be what it is called) is a good place to get a burger.
Potcake
AG
The Baths may be the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life and that includes the Grand Canyon and Big Bend. Get a pina colada at Mad Dog's, a little shack next to Top of the Baths restaurant. Hike Gorda Peak for an amazing view of all the BVI's. Try to do the Friday night beach BBQ at Leverick Bay Resort, on the North End. The Jumbie dancers are a real treat. Just be aware that the locals are quite frosty, not rude, but just apathetic. Lot's of thousand yard stares. Someone mentioned Mountain Trunk Beach, highly recommend it.
IMnAg79
AG
Thanks all for the suggestions! This is helping out greatly
RossG_2
AG
The food around that area is just incredible. That burger place up the trail from The Baths really is good. We basically spent a week island hopping so we were all over but the best restaurants were Foxy's Taboo on Jost Van Dyke, one of the lobster restaurants on Anegada, and a place on the tiny little island called Marina Cay (the only thing on that island at all, I believe.)

Man, what a gorgeous place to vacation. Have fun!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.