Chicago restaurants, bars and things to do...

3,359 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by Kay's Lounge
Kay's Lounge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're going to Chicago late Thursday and staying until Sunday. Already have tickets for a Cubs game. Any recs on restaurants and bars to hit up? We'll be staying at the Avenue Hotel, close to the Magnificent Mile. Also, any things that are a must see? Any input is appreciated.
SA68AG
AG
Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry,
Art Institute of Chicago, Shedd Aquarium. Do one of the boat architecture tours. Eat at one of the many great Pizza places.
BigAg95
AG
i second the architecture tour. what kind of food are you into? we have everything! here are a few ideas:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hot-dougs-chicago

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kumas-corner-chicago

http://www.yelp.com/biz/violet-hour-chicago for the dricnks, but the food is pretty good too..

Kay's Lounge
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. We like all sorts of food. Figure we want one night to go to a nice steakhouse. I read somewhere that Gibson's was really good. Maybe a night at a nice Italian restaurant, and then cheaper meals for the rest (hot dogs, pizza, etc). As far as bars, we are more into pubs and more relaxed, unpretentious bars. Are there any good bars close to Wrigley? Figure we'll hit up one for a few drinks after the game.

Thanks again for the help! We'll definitely add the architecture tour to our list.
Throwout
AG
Tuscany is excellent for Italian food--very authentic:

http://www.stefanirestaurants.com/tuscany.htm

Gino's East has awesome deep dish pizza--don't order a large, I promise you can't eat it:

http://featuredfoods.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/a-store/c-GinoAns_East.shtml?L+scstore+hzft2137ginosff09af09

Harry Carey's actually has really good steaks. Chicago is such an great city.
Cutman
AG
Giordano's is good. Definately take an architecture boat tour. They have very nice museums. Many great steak places. Last time we went, we tried David Burke Primehouse, also very good.
phoenix491
AG
quote:
Harry Carey's actually has really good steaks.

This. Go, and don't think twice ...
04aggiegirl
AG
Navy Pier! Very touristy, but fun for a firt-timer...

Go to the top of Hancock.

Eat a pizza... be prepared, our deep dish at uno's took an hour to bake, so call ahead! The pizza joints also get very crowded, so again call ahead

The brazilian/sushi place, Sushi Samba, is fantastic... make reservations about a week ahead of time.
BigAg95
AG
if you must have the abomination that is Chicago-style pizza, do NOT go to Uno. That would be like going to Bennigan's for Irish food...
KW02
AG
Gibsons
Keefers

Rosebud - on Taylor
East Dallas Ag
AG
Any recs for Wrigleyville?
SA68AG
AG
Not sure what the problem with Pizzeria Uno is. I like Pizzeria Due better than Giardanos but all three are a lot better than anything down here.
BigAg95
AG
no problem, but it is a nationwide chain, primarily east coast. not the place to go if you are in chicago, and can get the real deal
phoenix491
AG
The one in Chicago IS the real deal ... it's the first location of what eventually became a chain -- not quite the same thing as grabbing a slice at a mall location in Poughkipsie. Still, I would hit Giordano's or Gino's first.

Oh, and in Wrigleyville, try Murphy's Bleachers or the Cubby Bear for a bar scene. There are a lot of great bars in that area, and a ton of restaurants ... hard to go wrong.

[This message has been edited by phoenix491 (edited 4/14/2009 2:26p).]
WorthAg95
AG
I had a ton of fun at the Cubby Bear when I went.

Also, for a 2am burger or hot dog: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-wieners-circle-chicago
HollywoodBQ
AG
Where you're gonna be at, I spent about 2 months working there in 2003. Do these:

1. Ditka's (The Coach is often upstairs)
2. Hancock Center Signature Lounge (96th floor, I think). The drinks are going to be $10, but the view is amazing. They'll charge you to go to the observation deck (one floor up), but you can get into the bar for free and the view is just as good.
3. Weber Grill Restaurant (unique anyway, they do breakfast too)
4. Heaven on 7 - one of the best Cajun restaurants I've ever been to.
5. Gibson's Steakhouse - DO NOT order more than 1 dessert per table. One slice of cake is probably 12" high (I might be exaggerating by 10%)
6. Lots of votes on here for Giordano's, I like Pizzeria Due myself.
7. I cannot think of the place over on State that does Italian Beef, etc.
8. If you don't have one in your area, you should try Fogo de Chao - Brazilian Churrascaria (sp.?). You won't be disappointed. You also won't be able to move for about a day afterwards if you gorge yourself on meat.

Seriously in the 2 months I was in Chicago, I gained about 10-15 lbs. I loved it.
Kay's Lounge
AG
Great! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Rebel96
AG
Good suggestions! I'll be in Chicago the same days and have tickets to the Cubs game on Sat. 30% chance of rain on Sat. for the game....crap!

Staying at the Allerton Hotel. Should be a good time. Might try and do the boat tour. Good stuff...
HollywoodBQ
AG
Rebel96 - do me a favor and go to the "Tip Top Tap" and tell me what that's like. I think they were scheduled to re-open that at the top of the Allerton a few years ago.
04aggiegirl
AG
quote:
if you must have the abomination that is Chicago-style pizza, do NOT go to Uno. That would be like going to Bennigan's for Irish food...

You must have never tried the one I ate at downtown. Felt like a scene out of sopranos, the place was extremely old and very authentic.
SA68AG
AG
Pizzeria Uno in downtown is definitely the real deal. Great Pizza!!
BigAg95
AG
fair enough, i have never been to the uno downtown...

most of the locals swear by Lou malnatti's over giordano's, and i've never heard anyone from Chicago recommend Uno. i'm just saying...
BigAg95
AG
... to clarify, do the architecture tour that goes down the river, not the one that goes on the lake
04aggiegirl
AG
^ +2 -> the Lake one is crap... def do the river tour.

My sis swear's by Lou's, although she insisted we try the downtown Uno while I was visiting her. it was fantastic!
SA68AG
AG
I didn't say it was better than Lou's. That's a whole different ball game. Just saying it is a really good pizza in a neat atmosphere.
Rebel96
AG
HollywoodBQ ~ I'll check it out and re-post when I get back. Keep the suggestions rolling....
HollywoodBQ
AG
Rebel96 - thanks.
quote:
fair enough, i have never been to the uno downtown...
Pizzeria Uno is a chain of "Chicago-Style" pizza places. And they do own both the downtown Chicago Uno and Due (1 & 2 in Italian, I believe). The Uno and Due (my recommendation) are completely different than the suburban middle-America chain stores. They are owned by the same company, but the experience is completely different.

Another idea for nightlife is "Mother's" near Rush & Division. It was in some movie back in the 1980s, I think. Forgot to add that there's some good Sinatra at Jilly's (on Rush, I think) and live Sinatra upstairs at Ditka's.

I'm a hard core Metalhead, but even I left there singing Chicago is ... The Wrigley Building, Chicago is ...

Also, if you're there in summer, check out Navy Pier.
Kay's Lounge
AG
Rebel - noticed that the Allerton was right next door to our hotel (Avenue). Small world!

Chicago was great, but we didn't get to fit in as much as we would have liked. Cubs game was awesome. I wish Houston fans were like Cubs fans. Went to Sluggers before the game. Wanted to go to Cubby Bear, but it was packed and we just wanted to grab a quick bite to eat. The energy out in Wrigleyville really makes for the experience.

Ate at Harry Carey's. Thought it was pretty good, but have had better steak. We went to Keefer's another night. It was fantastic! Steak was so flavorful. Ate at Gino's East another night. Had to wait about 30 minutes or so, but it was worth it. The pizza was so good. Had the breakfast buffet at Houlihan's yesterday... it was pretty damn good. The made-to-order omelet was my favorite. We probably gained about 10 pounds on this trip!

Enjoyed Millennium Park. Free and good picture opportunities. We also went on the river architecture tour... found it very interesting and enjoyable. Went to the Sears Tower... that was a waste of time and money. We tried to go to the Shedd aquarium, but the line was ridiculous. Also, went to Navy Pier... just walked around for a few minutes and found that to be sufficient.

Went bowling one night over by the House of Blues (can't remember the name). That was pretty fun. Then ended last night hanging at our hotel bar, the Elephant and Castle.

We had a great time seeing the city. Got to see some old friends, so that was a nice bonus. Wish the trip hadn't gone by so quickly.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! Really helped make our trip great, even though we didn't get to do everything.
Rebel96
AG
HollywoodBQ ~ the Tip Top Tap is no longer there. The only lounge is on the second floor along with the Restaurant. The guys at the desk said there was no plans of recreating it. Overall, the Allerton was a great hotel!

Kay's Lounge ~ I noticed on Sat. that your hotel was right next door. Funny how that works.

I agree with Kay’s Lounge. Great City. We did a lot of the same things. Cubs game on Sat. was great. Walk off homer in the 11th inning. Fans there are rabid for their teams...kind of like in NYC and Boston. Crazy environment. We went to Cubby Bear for a bit and found it too crowded and loud so headed to Goose Island for chow before the game. We bar hopped on Clark St. after the game and ended up at Vines on the rooftop bar.

Tried Gino’s East and Giordano's. Both great pizza’s in their own right, but I can see how people can have their favorite. I’ll have to try the others next time.

Did the Weber Grill and although it is a chain, it’s a pretty neat concept. Good food as well. Also ate at Devon Seafood Grill. Hung out at Rockit one night and Martini Park. Both great places. Headed to see some blues at Kingston Mines in the Lincoln Park area. Lots of places to hang out in that area.

It was nice walking around the city and using the subway and L. Did the Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Buckingham Fountain, Sears Tower. Checked out the Historic Water Tower and water pump. I could have skipped the Navy Pier. Sears was ok. The views were nice, but they didn’t have the 103 floor open so we were on the 99th. Guess you can’t really tell the different anyway. I’ll do the John Hancock next time. At least they have a lounge right below the viewing floor so you can have some drinks.

We did the architectural river tour and it was great. The weather on Sat. was awesome. We got to see the bridges being raised and lowered for the sail boats to get out into the lake. Also got to see a helicopter installing a rooftop unit on a high rise.

Kay's Lounge ~ did you hear the helicopters (different than the ones I saw the day before) on Sunday morning? They were out on Michigan avenue helping move some crane parts right outside the hotel. Pretty cool stuff.

Good trip...I see mail order Chicago style pizza in the future!

East Dallas Ag
AG
Did either of you sit in the bleachers at Wrigley?
Kay's Lounge
AG
Rebel - didn't see/hear the helicopters on Sunday, but did see the one you are referring to on Saturday. We had to get up pretty early on Sunday, so we were probably too out of it to notice.

SlowLane - no... we had tickes on the third base side. Kind of wish we had sat in the bleachers, but we got free tickets, so went with those.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Rebel96 - thanks for the follow-up.

BTW - As far as Navy Pier goes. Be glad that you did go. Now when local Chicagoans talk about how great it is, you'll know what they're talking about and not feel like you might have missed something cool.

One thing about Chicago style pizza is the fact that it takes 45 minutes to make it properly. So now that you've had the real deal, you'll never be satisfied with a restaurant's "Chicago Style" pizza that's ready in 20 minutes. Mangia Pizza in Austin does a pretty good job.

Next time y'all will have to try out a Sox game. I recommend leaving before the 9th inning on that one. Sounds like the Cubs game was great. It's amazing how two ballparks only separated by a few miles can offer such a different game day experience.
Rebel96
AG
SlowLane ~ I in section 116 on the 3rd base side. I should have yelled out "KAY's LOUNGE" to see if anyone responded!

HollywoodBQ ~ not a problem. Definitely will be back next year or maybe summertime to see a Sox game for comparison. But it'll be hard pressed not to see a Cubs game again while I'm there!

The Subway and L make every part of Chicago accessible. Good recommendations guys...had a great time!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Rebel96, it wasn't until my 15th trip to Chicago that I rented a car. I took the "El" Train everywhere. I even took one of the heavier trains up to some concert place north of Evanston called "Ravinia". Anyways, somebody had given me some "Blues Traveler" tix and I didn't have anything else to do. It was worth the trip just to see this outdoor venue that local Chicagoans had raved about. (Of course, it was nothing compared to Red Rocks outside Denver - where I was living at the time)
Kay's Lounge
AG
Haha... we were in section 112, I think. But at the Friday game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.