Big Bend - Mariscal Canyon

1,316 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by YellowPot_97
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am thinking about going to Mariscal Canyon in a couple of weeks. It is one of the few places I haven't been in the park, the other being Mesa de Anguila. I have a map from the park service.

Anyone done this trail? Did you do it as a day hike or overnight? Is there any cover on the trail? Is it well marked? Are there any good camping spots along the rim? Did you connect with anything else or just yo-yo the trail?

TIA!
SA68AG
AG
I've hiked to the top of Mariscal Canyon. I did it as a day hike;don't recall any camp sites. It's a fantastic view down into the canyon. Definitely a must do hike.The trail for the most part is pretty easy to follow but there are spots that you have to rely on cairns. You're basically out in the open the entire hike. There isn't going to be much shade. It's a pretty long ride to the trail head. I want to say about 1.5 hours once you get on River Road East. I don't think River Road west is passable at this time. You might check about going down Glenn Springs depending on the condition of River Road East. The toughest part is finding the trail from the trail head. You have to go down into a wash and it's real hard to spot it. I did the hike with someone who was familiar with the trail but if i had done it myself it might have taken 30 minutes to find it. I just got back from the park about an hour ago and you'll really need to check on road conditions due to to the rains and flooding. The flooding on the Rio Grande is going to go into some time in December. Right now it's basically due to release of water from reservoir in Mexico that is going to continue into early or mid December. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by SA68AG (edited 10/5/2008 8:30p).]
Atty_Ag
SA68AG,

I am going to Terlingua this week. What are the conditions on the road to Presidio? How far can you get west of Lajitas? We have a bike trip planned and originally wanted to do the 120 mile out and back to Presidio from our place. Instead, we may just ride in the park.

Sandy,

I've never done that trail, but would you please post your opinion when you get back? We go to the park about three times a year, and that is one we've never done either.
SA68AG
AG
I don't believe the road to Presidio is open from the Terlingua. The golf course at Lajitas is completely under water. They had electronic signs posted on 385 just south of Marathon on the status of road closures. I'd check the Texas Highway Department web site for up to date road status. The water level at Presidio reached a record high during the early flooding.
Since 1932 water flow has only exceeded 40,000 cfs(I probably have the units wrong) 5 times.
It hit 52,000 thru the park at the peak of the flood.

[This message has been edited by SA68AG (edited 10/7/2008 12:45p).]
YellowPot_97
AG
Here's an article with pictures of FM170 between Lajitas and Presidio.

http://www.bigbendgazette.com/blog/_archives/2008/10/7/3920276.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.