Glacier National Park

1,510 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by Vero143
McNasty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I are planning a trip there in late June. We're hoping to fly into the local airport and (if possible) avoid renting a car. The plan is for 2 nights in a hotel/cabin, 2 nights backpacking, then 1 night back in the hotel/cabin.

I've read reviews from a few sites like Frommers and TripAdvisor, but I also wanted to ask the people of Texags for any tips/references regarding:
- Back country backpacking (best sites, reservations, etc.)
- Lodging for first and last nights (nothing fancy)
- Feasibility of avoiding a rental car
- Must see sights (Going to the Sun Road, etc.)
- Getting to/from the airport

I think there may have been a previous thread on this, but I can't seem to find it.
Vero143
I was a backcountry Ranger at GNP for 3 summers, so I will help a little. I am biased, so take it as you will. When you decide on a hike, I would make sure you contact the Rangers office and tell them your route and depart/return times. Thay way, you dont have pissed off rangers looking for you on day three

Me rescuing a lost hiker

I have a book somewhere I can send you if you like.

http://www.amazon.com/Climbers-Glacier-National-Regional-Climbing/dp/0878421777/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209495583&sr=8-4

This book is not just for climbers but for hikers too. It is a GREAT tool for the avid hiker with detailed maps of the routes for baccountry hikes. It is an interesting read regardless if you do not do the hike because the author gives lots of history behind each hike. If I can find it, I can send it to you, I will not ever need it again.

I like the Kintla Lake hike. It is a goodie for a 2 day hike. Not a whole lot of people have done this hike only because it is so long, but the end reward is amazing. You can also do the Grinnel Glacier Hike

On the way to Kintla

- Lodging for first and last nights (nothing fancy)

Red Eagle in St. Mary is your best bet if is not booked up. You could stay in Kalispell, but its a long drive from there. I like St Mary campground. Good shower facilities and cheap. Anything on the East side of the park is nice as far as facilities go

not sure if you can avoid this one

- Must see sights (Going to the Sun Road, etc.)

I would go to West Glacier and visit Polebridge; Get a milkshake at Apgar; Visit Logans Pass (midpoint on going to sun road; You could do the Mt. Reynolds hike. Its half a day with the most spectacular views); See St Mary Lake; Visit EITHER two Medicine or Many Glacier (it will be hard to see both under a small time frame);

Two Medicine

Many Glacier Hotel

- Getting to/from the airport

My email is in my profile if you are interested in that book

[This message has been edited by geogaggie (edited 4/29/2008 2:16p).]
McNasty
AG
Email sent. Thanks for the input - great picture too. I guess we'll need to book our lodging ASAP. Do we need to reserve specific back country sites or at least get a general reservation?

quote:

I like the Kintla Lake hike. It is a goodie for a 2 day hike. Not a whole lot of people have done this hike only because it is so long, but the end reward is amazing. You can also do the Grinnel Glacier Hike

Kintla looks a bit far, but I think Grinnel glacier is doable. Our last trek in Rocky Mountain NP was 5 miles with 1300ft climb, and that was a bit much with full gear. I'd like something that takes about 1/2 that effort to get to a 2-night camping location and explore nearby in the meantime.

quote:

not sure if you can avoid this one

I thought there were some shuttle services that take you to and around the park?
Vero143
Do we need to reserve specific back country sites or at least get a general reservation?

Honestly, I have not hiked up there in 4 years, so I am sure it has changed. I would call the USGS office or the park rangers office in St Mary and ask before you go, or ASAP. They are very helpful. Also, make sure you budget 55 dollars a person for bear spray. It is mandatory in backcountry and it is crazy to leave home without it.

I thought there were some shuttle services that take you to and around the park?

Again, it has been a real long time for me, but they might still have the ricashaw busses running. Again, call the park service and ask them. I really wish I could remember, but its been a while. I was in the woods 90 percent of my time there, so I am not much help.

--I will try to find my book tonight and send it to you. I will also thumb through it and mark some things that might be a little better hike than Grinnel. That one is cool if you take the goat trail to the mine shaft and the traverse across to the glacier.
Vero143
Also, I would consider the Mt Reynolds hike. It is one of my favorites to do. Make sure you have someone with you and have an afternoon to dedicate to it. The views are second best in the park. You have a 180 degree view of the entire park, along with Hidden Lake, Heavens Peak and Bear Mt.
Vero143
Found the book. Will mail this week or next. Email sent too!

[This message has been edited by geogaggie (edited 4/30/2008 8:39p).]
SA68AG
AG
They now have a regular shuttle service that goes from Appgar Village to the St MAry's Vistor center via The Going To The Sun Road. It stops at all the major trail heads and uses the Logan Pass Visitor Center as the transfer point. It works really well and enables you to do some hikes like Siyeh Pass and the Garden Wall to the Bend without having to prearrange transportation.
anaggiemom
S
Hubby and I visited GNP last fall. Most beautiful sight I have ever seen, and we have been through a lot of states.

We didn't do any hiking, just the drive, but it was spectacular. Can't imagine what you will see during the backpacking. Have a great time!
McNasty
AG
Thanks everyone - keep the tips coming. I managed to snage some bear spray for $28 at REI's anniversary sale - let's hope we don't have to use it.
Ornithopter
AG
FYI, I think you have to reserve a campground here http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

geogaggie You said Mt. Reynolds has the 2nd best views - where are the first? Me and a buddy are going to be up there in a couple of months. We're planning on hiking out to a campsite one day and then coming back the next.
houstontexan
i don't see many glaciers in those pics. do they recede on a seasonal basis?
Vero143
First best views are a tie, IMO. Kintla Peak or Heaven's Peak. Both are class 4 climbs and take 2 days to tackle. I have 9 stitches from Kintla that remind me each day about that climb.

houstontexan, the glaciers are melting at an alarming rate. I was on a survey crew for 8 weeks, looking at old aerial photos and comparing them to modern data. It was mind blowing how much they had receeeded since the early 20th century.
houstontexan
i learned a long time ago on the b&p board that you're lying.
Vero143
Oh yeah, I forgot. Those nerds know everything......
MidnightYell2003
AG
I just got back from Glacier. Just about everything is closed there right now because the season hasn't started and they still have tons of snow. To post some current pics of what geogaggie posted:

here is Two Medicine Lake (which is mostly frozen over)

And Many Glacier Hotel

But it still looks amazing there!
Lake McDonald
Vero143
If anyone hikes to the peak of the mountain in the first picture above, I left a survey tripod up there I would gladly like returned to me. Great Pics!!
MidnightYell2003
AG
Here is another pic of Many Glacier Hotel

And here is an enlarged one of the above

Plus some others that I liked

[This message has been edited by MidnightYell2003 (edited 5/21/2008 3:28p).]
Vero143
Great shots, 2003. That is my favorite place in the world. If I could find a job up there, I would go. It is something you will remember forever.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.