Anybody been to Zihuatanejo?

1,103 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by hombre
Dallasag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading there in July for a few days, staying at the Tides. Anybody been before? Any suggestions?

I'm wondering what types of activities are available or what things there are to see within a reasonable distance from the town.
Potcake
AG
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=54&topic_id=988040
Dallasag02
AG
Gracias, compadre.
murphyag
AG
We love Zihua/Ixtapa and go every year. Not Americanized like to Yucatan.

The Tides is very nice- used to be called Villa Del Sol. Here are some ideas for things to do:

1. Go on a Sunset cruise- either the Picante or Dancer. Drink and appetizers are served and its relaxing.

2. Go to Las Gatas for the day- you can get a boat from La Ropa so you don't have to go to the pier.

3. There is great fishing in Zihua and many great captains.

4. I suggest you go to www.ixtapa-mexico.com
It has alot of great info about restaurants, nightlife, etc.

5. Take a trip to Barra de Potosi- its a neat little village nearby.

6. Go to the Mercado

7. I'm assuming you have the meal plan at Tides? One thing they used to let guests do (when it was Villa del Sol) was to let you switch your required dinner for lunch instead, that way you could get out to the fabulous restaurants in town.

8. On LaRopa I like Patty's Mar y Mar- it's a little baech restaurant where you can eat on the beach.

Zihua is a very laid back place- our routine is usually: wake up, walk the beach, get some breakfast, swim/lay out,read, go into town, eat lunch, swim/lay out, have happy hour, dinner, go out in town.

Alot of people like Bandidos downtown for nightclub thing.

I can suggest restaurants if you'd like- just let me know price ranges.
murphyag
AG
One more thing- July and August are vaction months for Mexican families and scholchildren. So, this is a very, very busy time for Zihua. We usually go in November or March.

Also,If you need supplies or medicines while in town head to Commercial Mexicana. It's a modern grocery store- kind of like a Walmart.
Dallasag02
AG
We didn't get a meal plan, actually were advised against it because the food in town is so good and is cheaper. We can always add one, but my understanding is that it's better to handle your own food?
Jetpilot86
AG
I was there for an hour and a half once.

That's about all I can contribute to this conversation.

If it doesn't make you strong, it will kill you. - [mangled Nietzsche quote]
murphyag
AG
It is better to handle your own food- that way you can try out the local restaurants.

I haven't been there since it became the Tides, but when it was Villa del Sol they did have good dinners and people would come eat there even when they stayed elsewhere. But, very pricey. When you want a large volume of drinks head to another bar/hotel bar

Good food/good prices on LaRopa at Patty's Mar y Mar, Elvira's. I always thought the waiters at the La Perla restaurant weren't as friendly as other places.

Go to the Sunset Bar at the Catalina Beach Resort at happy hour. Good place to watch the sunset.

Also, we ate at Il Mare one night and it was good. But, it seems odd to eat Italian in Mexico.

One thing that's very popular there is tuna steak- most restaurants have it and its really good. I believe Elvira's makes a good one.

If you want a really nice dinner that's pricey (100+) go to Villa de la Selva restaurant in Ixtapa. IT is in a former president's home and built on a cliff. The food is good, the flan is to die for. Go before sunset and get a good table. Or you could also just go for drinks.

Other popular restaurants in Zihua:
La Sirena Gorda, Lety's (get the coconut shrimp), Kau-Kan, Amuleto, and all of the places on Calle Adelita street are good- DE Donde Eres, Laa Casa Cafe, etc. Casa Bahia-tuna steak, Caprichos, La Gula, etc.

But, we still spend most of our time eating at La Ropa because its more convenient to be able to just walk down the beach in your swimsuit and plop down to eat. Enjoy! I'm envious of you-we aren't heading back until Thanksgiving week and are staying at Villa de la Roca (the white building) by the La Casa de Canta resort. I'm curious as to what you'll think of the Tides. It was really beautiful and classy when it was Villa del Sol- hopefully nothing has changed.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Sorry, but someone had to mention Andy Dufresne (sp)...it may as well be me.

Have a great trip! It sounds amazing!
hombre
tides have really changed the feel of the place. they are trying to be a chic-miami style hotel which is really incongruent with the feel of zihua and hotel villa del sol. but the beach are still the same which is why you go.

sad to see the place change like this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.