Travel to Ireland

1,095 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by Killer-K 89
Jack Burton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

Without getting into crazy details, I am looking into going to County Cork sometime in June/July. Does anybody have any experience with particular agents/costs associated with going? Ideally, I am looking to spend around $1500-2000 on the trip if that helps.

Thanks and Gig 'Em

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

John '04
Killer-K 89
AG
Ireland is extremely travel friendly. My suggestion is to buy a few guidebooks and get a plane ticket and just go. Ride the train from Dublin (or Shannon) and rent a car when you get there.

We went for 3 weeks and never made a single reservation. There was always a B&B available late in the day.

Jack Burton
AG
Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Anybody can feel free to offer their opinions as well
TXCityAggie
AG
Don't bother with an agent. Ireland will be easy to plan for on your own. I went last spring to Galway, Dingle, and Dublin. It was very smooth.
tmurder03
sorry jacb04 for bitting off your post, but i too am traveling to ireland. i will be there in april for a few nights. my question is does anyone know what the cheapest means of transportation to amsterdam from dublin is?

thanks in advance.
Jack Burton
AG
Tmurder, don't worry about it. I would think the easiest would be RyanAir or Easyjet.

Right now I'm trying to find a deal on airfare, with little to no luck. I managed to get from San Antonio to Paris on my last trip for a bit over 800, so I'm trying to hit the same kind of price point and having a harder time of it.
tmurder03
My buddy and I just bought tickets on Continental.com from Houston to Paris for $835 w/tax included if that helps you any. Not sure if it is worth the trip to Houston to save a few bucks.
Jack Burton
AG
Yeah, if I wanted to go to Paris I could get a much cheaper price, the kicker seems to be getting to Ireland, either Shannon or Dublin. I guess it is because there are fewer flights.
tmurder03
u think there were cheaper flights into paris? i guess we weren't having any luck. that was by far the cheapest flight.
Killer-K 89
AG
If you are not in a hurry, then sign up for British Airways flyer program. They will send you their specials. I have never flown to London for more than $500. But you have to be flexible.

Then wander around London and take RyanAir to Ireland. They are incredible cheap fairs.

I am not sure EasyJet goes there. But they are really inexpensive too.

And enjoy the best Guinness in the world for me while there.
whoopy
AG
I am going to be backpacking Ireland in June, I'll look for your class ring and buy you a guiness if I see ya!
Jack Burton
AG
Right back at ya whoopy, it looks like I'm going to be there at the end of June till early July, no real details yet.

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

John '04
GCRanger
AG
I'm flying Air Canada from IAH to Dublin in May (return early July) for about $825, next cheapest that I found was $925. It's pretty pricey in the summer as it is peak tourist season.

I agree with the others about not using an agent. It's very easy to get around Ireland and to find lodging.

www.irishrail.ie
www.buseireann.ie

There are a couple Trip Reports I've posted about Ireland but I can't search back that far. Someone might be able to bring those up for you. They may be helpful.

[This message has been edited by GCRanger (edited 2/28/2008 3:01p).]
Jack Burton
AG
When did you book? AC is telling me $1054 before taxes and fees.

John '04
Killer-K 89
AG
tmurder-

EasyJet flies from Belfast to Amsterdam.

Currently for April 15th, the oneway fare is about $35.

You can catch the train from Dublin to Belfast. It is about an hour and a half ride.
Uncooked Bacon
AG
Here you go GCRanger

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=54&topic_id=1044486
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=54&topic_id=923254
GCRanger
AG
I booked about 3 weeks ago.

The prices have gone up pretty quickly the last couple weeks.

thanks for the links.
1999_Aggie
AG
jacb-

I don't know where you live but Continental is running specials from Houston to London Heathrow for about $260 each way, which is DIRT cheap. Then use www.skyscanner.net to find a flight from Heathrow to Cork. All in all, that website is a good website to use to find flights all over Europe. I use it all the time to find flights around Europe.

I spent a week in Ireland in November. We spent 3 days in Dublin, one at the Cliffs of Moher in County Clare in western Ireland, and then 2 days in Dingle on the Dingle Peninsula in SW Ireland. Dublin is really overated if you ask me, but we absolutely loved Dingle. It is a really small but traditional Irish fishing village on a beautiful peninsula. It was the favorite part of our trip by far so try to get over that way if you can. I can't recommend car rental agencies because we brough my car over from England on the ferry.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by 1999_Aggie (edited 3/3/2008 6:21a).]
Jack Burton
AG
1999, thanks! I'll be checking into that now

tx_aggie_04
I'm looking into an Ireland trip as well. Do y'all reccommend the motorcoach trips, or go on your own? The motorcoach trips are more expensive, but transportation and most meals are included. However, there's not as much leeway for side-excursions.

[This message has been edited by tx_aggie_04 (edited 3/5/2008 2:31p).]
1999_Aggie
AG
Personally I wouldn't go on a motorcoach trip because I don't like others planning trips for me, I don't like having strict itineraries, and I don't like the though of riding aroudd a country on a bus with 30-40 others. But to each their own...
tx_aggie_04
I looked through the vacation planning book that I have, and there's a lot more in Ireland that I want to see than what is on the motorcoach tours. I think I'm leaning more towards planning my own trip and renting a car.
Killer-K 89
AG
Public trasportation by bus or train is very easy and inexpensive. Then rent a car at your destination.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.