Yellowstone in Winter - A Photo Journal

827 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by p_bubel
Stymied
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MidnightYell2003
AG
nice photos! what kind of camera are you using? I haven't visited in the winter... maybe I should make a trip up there soon before the snow melts and the crowds come in! but I don't think dogs are allowed beyond roads and campgrounds. did you have any problems with road closures?
Stymied
AG
Thanks for the praise. I used both a Canon Rebel XT and a Canon 1D Mark IIN on the trip. The PBase site lists which camera was used for which picture if your interested in which one came from which camera.

You're right on the dog problem. From what I know, that's pretty much the case with any national park. I had the same problem in Sequoia last summer.

As far as road closures go, we stayed in Lamar Valley which is kept plowed. The rest of the park is accessible but you have to use a chartered snow coach to get to it.
FJB
AG
Awesome photos! Yellowstone is such a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing.
chico
AG
We actually had our honeymoon south of Yellowstone in front of the Tetons, 14 years ago this month. Stayed in a cabin just in front of the Teton range.

Your 2nd photo of the eagle looks like it was just outside our cabin. We would see a lone eagle come down and perch on a tree just like that every morning.

Great time to visit the area. Few crowds, snowshoeing, winter elk refuge, etc.
Thanks for the photos.
johnnynapalm
did you have to put your gear in plastic bags when entering and leaving your lodging?

good to know your xt survived!
Dr. Devil Dog
Beautiful pictures as usual. I think the fourth one (buffalo/bison? and ice tree) is my favorite.
aggieamber05
AG
Great photos!
NITESIDE
We go snowmobiling there about every 3 years for the last 20 or so...great way to see the Park. Excellant family vacation and frankly, it just doesn't get any better than this trip.
Big Bucks
AG
Snowmobiled over 100 miles one day through Yellowstone at Christmas about 10 years ago. Freaking awesome.
rononeill

i'd caption this one (great photo!):

dont be a poosay, get on up there.
Stymied
AG
Thanks for the comments everybody. I appreciate it! While I mainly shoot for my own personal enjoyment (and to get outside), its good to know that others appreciate the photos.

Regarding the handling of cameras in the cold... I really never did much to protect them. My 1D and most of my lenses are built to take the punishment so I don't really baby them. I never really babied the Rebel either though. They both worked fine and I never did anything special to keep them from fogging up. I had to watch my breathing at times as I did fog up my LCD and viewfinder but I never used bags, etc when I brought everything back to the hotel at night.
Pro Sandy
AG
gorgeous. oh and the photos are great too!
p_bubel
Wow. Great Stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.