Key West

960 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by CDub06
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My company is taking a trip to Key West December 6-9. I've never been to Florida and am not too familiar with the Keys other than the little bit I've read here and there.

We're staying at The Inn at Key West and my boss is looking forward to sitting by the pool all day. Sitting around all day is nothing that I want to take part in. Any of y'all that have been, what hot spots and activities do I need to be sure to check out? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Potcake
AG
Duval St.
mike073
AG
Get a guide and boat to take you out to the "back country". Take a lounge chair, snacks and an ice chest. Great way to spend some of the day. It is a series of islands with vegetation too thick to move in. The small beaches are great.

Gig 'em Aggies!

96ch53
AG
I just returned from Key West on Sunday. I did a snorkeling trip which was okay but I honestly wasn't that impressed by the coral or the fish compared to what I have seen elsewhere.

You might consider a day trip out to Dry Tortugas or, if you have access to a car, drive along Highway 1 to see the coastal scenery on some of the other keys as well.

I had wanted to rent bikes while we were there but ran out of time.
aTmAg
AG
Does the water not get cold over there during winter?
Potcake
AG
Have a fish sandwich at B.O.'s, dinner at Blue Heaven, take a jog through the neighborhoods, especially near the Truman Whitehouse, catch the sunset at Mallory Square.
Dr. Devil Dog
If you're asking me I didn't think it was that bad for a short period of time.
CDub06
AG
Anything else? I'd prefer not sitting on the beach or in a bar the whole time... I've found some places that do watersports and parasailing. I'll probably spend some time doing that.
TAMU_89
My wife and I have gone several times and to be honest, you will probably have the most fun just watching the people. There are some strange birds in Key West. If you want a romantic dinner with your wife, get a reservation and go eat out on Little Palm Island.

The community is really a haven for gay & lesbian people so be prepared.
Potcake
AG
quote:
The community is really a haven for gay & lesbian people so be prepared.

Oh, the horror!
96ch53
CDub06
AG
Luckily we'll be missing "Gay Spring Break." There's also apparently a "Woman Fest" to celebrate Lesbians... Interesting place...
TXCityAggie
AG
A couple of things to do:

Rent a bike and take a few hours to explore the island. I've done this before and it was great.

Visit the Hemingway House. Very interesting.
CDub06
AG
Didn't read your post before I went, TX, but I did exactly what you suggested.

The first full day I was there,I rented a bike. I got around and explored the whole island with ease, I loved it. Definately beats searching high and low for parking and paying $10 for 2 hours...

Other Highlights:

I got a good breakfast at Schooner Wharf Bar at the Bight, the bar was already packed before 9AM.

The Pirate Soul museum was too short for the price, but very well put together.

I didn't plan on going to Hemmingways, but it was actually entertaining.

The LaConcha hotel has a nice view of the island from the roof.

The Sunset Festival is a must see.

There are plenty of bars and nightlife. Dirty Harry's (Rick's) was a lot of fun, good rockin cover band. Irish Kevin's was cool. Sloppy Joes and Hogs Breath were cool of course.

Plenty of good food. The highlights here were Michael's Restaurant and Commodore.

I also enjoyed the Fury Ultimate Adventure with parasailing, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. Although the snorkeling was pretty disappointing.

All in all it was a good time. 3 1/2 days was the perfect amount of time there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.