** Official Jarren Duran greatest season in baseball history tracker thread **

2,798 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by BMX Bandit
AggieEP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some of you will probably call me crazy, but Jarren Duran is on pace to have one of the greatest statistical all around seasons in the history of baseball.

Right now, he's on pace (or close to on pace) for 200 hits, 50 doubles, 20 triples, 20 homers and 30 steals this year. That is a stat line that HAS NEVER BEEN DONE IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL.

The 20/20/20/20 club itself is EXTREMELY rare (https://www.mlb.com/news/20-homers-20-triples-20-doubles-20-steals-club) itself but the fact that he might reach 200 hits and 50 doubles with it as well is really unbelievable.

Only 4 guys have ever done 20/20/20/20

Only 7 guys have gone 20/20/20 (falling short of the steals only) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20%E2%80%9320%E2%80%9320_club

Only 4 guys have ever had 200 hits, 50 doubles 20 homers and 20 steals in a season https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask?q=players+with+200+hits%2C+50+doubles%2C+20+home+runs%2C+20+stolen+bases+in+a+season

Jarren Duran has a chance to create a new club for himself similar to how Acuna created the 40/70 club last year.

AND to add to my claim of how great he's been this year, he's also a strong to elite defensive outfielder with a 1.8 WAR just for his defense and a 93 percentile ranking for his work in the outfield from baseball Savant. There is a good chance he wins a gold glove this year.

I don't think the Red Sox will make the playoffs, and Duran is likely to be overshadowed by Henderson and Witt in AL MVP talk, but what he's doing is really amazing. Similar to a guy chasing .400, I'm going to update this thread periodically to see if he can keep the pace.
AggieEP
I should also probably add in before anyone else does, that Bobby Witt Jr. isn't super far off the pace to do this also. If he gets a few triples in the next couple of weeks, we might have a real showdown to see if either one of these guys can do it.
Current betting odds, according to the article, have him as 7th.

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/mlb/2024-mlb-mvp-odds-al-and-nl-favorites
KT 90
AG
AggieEP said:

I should also probably add in before anyone else does, that Bobby Witt Jr. isn't super far off the pace to do this also. If he gets a few triples in the next couple of weeks, we might have a real showdown to see if either one of these guys can do it.

Bobby Witt Jr came in with a lot of hype, and he has been living up to it thus far. Kudos to him. Plus remembering his dad coming up from the minors and playing in the MLB makes me feel old, so there's that too

Farmer1906
AG

Quote:

greatest season in baseball history

Because he might hit a bunch of round #s on a few stats? Get out of here with that nonsense.

AggieEP
Start your own thread about hating baseball stats. For some of us, the round numbers are an integral part of the game though.

3000, 500, .300, 61 all have meaning to longtime baseball fans.

And anytime a guy can do something statistically for the first time in the history of baseball I happen to think it's worth tracking. In reality is it any less impressive if he finishes with 19 triples, of course not, but baseball numbers have a meaning of their own. We remember guys who hit these round numbers and that's just a fact.

Also in this case, I'm talking about Duran and Witt who are legitimately 2 of the best players in the game right now. I'd understand your lack of interest if I was tracking the record for most times reaching a 3 ball count in a season and it was being done by a replacement level player. But these are all numbers that directly impact winning.
AggieEP
Interesting he's only 7th favorite on betting odds, I'd have him higher in the AL right now.

And that 7th is a distant 7th, I get that guys like Judge and Soto are having a good year, but I think Duran has been as valuable to this point considering all around contributions.

For me it'd be

1 - Witt
2 - Henderson
3 - Duran
4 - Judge
5 - Soto
AggieEP
2 doubles for Duran today in the blowout over the Mariners and he remains right on pace to hit all the numbers.
Farmer1906
AG
The greatest season of all time is currently sitting 8th in WAR and 24th in wRC+.
HarryRocket
How rare is it if you take away the triples stat?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/XBH_season.shtml
AggieEP
He's 5th in WAR, and I think that's still underestimating his value.

Elite defense, elite elite base running and still on pace for the 20/20/20/20 club. You can poo poo on the round numbers, but I don't see an argument that he's not having a great year if that's what you're trying to insinuate.

Also, I know it wasn't part of my initial post, but he's doing it while making 700k while Judge, Soto, Ohtani and Witt are all coming in at a much higher cost.

If the Red Sox make the playoffs, it's pretty much because he did it all for them.
AggieEP
If you take away triples it doesn't really expand the list much.

If you look for 200 hits, 50 doubles, 20 homers and 20 steals you get Freddie Freeman (2023), Alfonso Soriano (2002) , Biggio (1998) and Chuck Klein (1932)

The real thing here is that on their own three parts of the combo are difficult to get.

In the last 10 years, only 17 times has a player finished with 200 hits in a season. And there are several seasons where no one did it.

In the last 10 years, only 8 times has someone finished with 50 doubles in a year.

In the last 10 years, no one has had 20 triples in a season. (15 is the closest anyone has gotten)

The steals and homers are easier to come by, but still impressive to hit 20 in both of those.
Farmer1906
AG
He's having a great year. But the gap between great year and the greatest season of all time is quite large.
Faustus
AggieEP said:

He's 5th in WAR, and I think that's still underestimating his value.

Elite defense, elite elite base running and still on pace for the 20/20/20/20 club. You can poo poo on the round numbers, but I don't see an argument that he's not having a great year if that's what you're trying to insinuate.

Also, I know it wasn't part of my initial post, but he's doing it while making 700k while Judge, Soto, Ohtani and Witt are all coming in at a much higher cost.

If the Red Sox make the playoffs, it's pretty much because he did it all for them.

Baseball is funny. Ohtani will be cheaper than a very high percentage of all 4th year players for years to come, regardless of whether they played like Duran for his first 2 years or how he's played for the better part of the last two.

Fantastic season for Duran, but Devers is their heart and soul.
Carlo4
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40829067/red-sox-jarren-duran-apologizes-using-anti-gay-slur-fan
The Porkchop Express
Carlo4 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40829067/red-sox-jarren-duran-apologizes-using-anti-gay-slur-fan
Where does this rate among the all-time great slurs uttered by MLB players?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Proposition Joe
Meh... Call me when he sneaks it into his baseball card photo.
Farmer1906
AG
themissinglink
AG
AggieEP
Lol, this throws a wrench into the pursuit of his numbers.

Realistically he's an idiot in 2024 for still having that word in his vocabulary, but also it's dumb to pretend he was using it as an anti gay slur. The fan pissed him off and he decided to tell the guy to shut up with colorful language. Hopefully next time he calls the hecklers taint lickers or something funny and creative instead of using a banned word.

Also loving the shirt, this dude isn't sorry and he doesn't need to be apologize and donate money to LGBT crap because he called someone a f****t.
Marvin
AG
Maybe it was a mistake, but that shirt wasn't. I think he's proven the type of person he is, at least at this point in his life. Hopefully he can gain some character and humility along with all those hits.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
That shirt is tasteless to wear on TV regardless of what went down prior.

This dude is piece of work.
The Porkchop Express
Marvin said:

Maybe it was a mistake, but that shirt wasn't. I think he's proven the type of person he is, at least at this point in his life. Hopefully he can gain some character and humility along with all those hits.
100% agree. Wearing the shirt says you were told to be on your best behavior by probably multiple people - your agent, your manger, your GM, maybe a team PR person - and you let it go in one ear and out the other. You didn't really write the statement they put out, and you're absolutely not sorry and it's important for everyone to know you're not sorry.
The Lost
The Porkchop Express said:

. You didn't really write the statement they put out, and you're absolutely not sorry and it's important for everyone to know you're not sorry.

lol do you think any person writes their own apology? The president didn't even write his own dropping out of the race note.

Everything is inauthentic and generic bs
The Porkchop Express
The Lost said:

The Porkchop Express said:

. You didn't really write the statement they put out, and you're absolutely not sorry and it's important for everyone to know you're not sorry.

lol do you think any person writes their own apology? The president didn't even write his own dropping out of the race note.

Everything is inauthentic and generic bs
I don't think that, but most people don't wear a ****EM shirt the next day. At least make nice for appearances for 24 hours. It's not that difficult.
AggieEP
Why? The rainbow Mafia has got everyone so afraid of them that the word can't be uttered in anger?

If he found a gay fan and targeted them with this word, then yes suspend him.

But he just used a word in anger against a fan that was verbally harassing him. There was no homophobic intent here at all.

The Porkchop Express
Again I don't care what he said
It's the immature attitude the next day that reveals his character.
themissinglink
AG
BMX Bandit

English cigarettes gonna be big mad

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.