***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,727,625 Views | 66681 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by Johnsy3
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did Pressly ask for a trade because he wants to be "the guy" at closer somewhere?
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
texasaggie2015
AG
Not sure what the details are but I don't believe that's why.
RO519
AG
Love getting 2015 nuggets! Glad to see you posting on this thread again. Hope you're doing well.
W
AG
is there a team willing to take on Pressly's $14 MM salary?

all it takes is one I guess
tremble
AG
Time to bring the Prince that was Promised up finally (Whitley)
tjack16
AG
Not expecting a total lineup overhaul but we need to re-work the outfield at the very least.

Santander, Ozuna, Profar, Bellinger should be on the list to get the LF spot and not have the Meyers/McCormick/Dubon trio taking up 2-3 spots in our lineup
WES2006AG
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Few notes:

- Pressly requested a trade earlier this season so don't be surprised to see him get moved
In hindsight we should have made that trade happen.
texasaggie2015
AG
Got relatively good news yesterday. Don't wanna get into TMI territory- but what they found isn't believed to be cancerous (they're going to confirm of course but it's highly unlikely). They did say that had I waited another year or so to get checked, it would have been a completely different conversation.

So, moral of the story for all you gentleman: If you think something is a little "off", go get it checked out ASAP.
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Got relatively good news yesterday. Don't wanna get into TMI territory- but what they found isn't believed to be cancerous (they're going to confirm of course but it's highly unlikely). They did say that had I waited another year or so to get checked, it would have been a completely different conversation.

So, moral of the story for all you gentleman: If you think something is a little "off", go get it checked out ASAP.
Great news! And **** cancer.
WES2006AG
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That sounds like good news. Glad it worked out for you and that is fantastic advice...don't ignore what your body is telling you.
Hornbeck
AG
Agreed. With a bad attitude, and not being able to count on him, Pressly should be trade material.

I'm okay with a rebuild. Thankful for the run we have had, but it may be time to go get some younger guys.

Players to keep an eye on:
Pena. Still good defensively, but he's not hitting like he was. The formula to get him to ground out is widely available it seems.

Montero. Can he be fixed / salvaged, or is it a capt. Lou Abreu situation?

Framber. Guy can't get out of his own head. When he's on, he's money. When he melts down, it's quick.

Caratini / Diaz - do we move one to 1st exclusively, and bring up Salazar, or look for another veteran to use as a 2nd catcher. Revolving door at 1st was not great.

Heyward. Do we bring back another aging star? Or let him retire / go to the minors like Yuli?

Yordan. By far the most tempting trade piece for another team. Do we get someone(s) who aren't as injury prone?

LMJ. So much money, so little return. Can we get him to medically retire, and if so, does Crane have an insurance policy on that like the Nats didn't have with Strasburg.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
A very appreciated update from you and especially glad to hear the good prognosis. Happy for you.
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

Wow man, that is good news. Praying everything goes well!
No matter what!
tremble
AG
Awesome news!

As a fun aside, who do we think the next no-name prospect the Astros turn into a stalwart MLB starter will be next season?
W
AG
Altuve and Yainer are here to stay

but Dana needs to strongly consider moving on from the other free swingers

half the lineup can't be "refuse to walk" guys
Wabs
AG
Before decisions are made on specific players on the roster, they need to determine the overall strategy.

1. Plug some holes (1B. OF. bullpen) with FAs and make another "run" in 2025.

2. Obtain a little more youth (players that are controllable and MLB ready within a year or two) - means trading Tucker, Framber, maybe Pena.

3. Complete rebuild. Option 2, but opening the door on a Yordan trade that could really bring in some cornerstone pieces for the future.

If it was me, option 1 is my last choice. And more and more I'm leaning towards favoring option 3 (which is by far the most least likely option they'll choose).
texasaggie2015
AG
I wouldn't consider Blubaugh a "no name" sense he played in the Futures Game, so I'll go Ryan Gusto even though I think his ceiling is pretty limited. Not a knock on him, just don't see him being an elite arm.

Miguel Ullola is still pretty raw but keep an eye on him. He has very high upside.
RED AG 98
AG
Excellent news 2015! Definitely puts things in proper perspective when stuff like this comes along.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yep. I may actually eat a salad every now and then moving forward.
cc10106
texasaggie2015 said:

Few notes:

- I don't expect Alex to re-sign here (not saying it won't happen, but I would be surprised)

Jose seemed pretty adamant about Alex needing to stay. Surprised how outspoken he has been about it.

(And no I don't expect it to happen either. Just found it interesting.)
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

Few notes:

- I don't expect Alex to re-sign here (not saying it won't happen, but I would be surprised)
- Not sure exactly what the plan at 3B would be short-term
- Christian Walker and Nick Pivetta are a couple names to watch in FA
- Pressly requested a trade earlier this season so don't be surprised to see him get moved
I like both of those players but the math isn't mathing. Those guys aren't premium free agents but they aren't league minimum guys either. This team is looking at a $200+M payroll without adding or resigning anyone and Dana is already talking about "creativity" either payroll. Dumping Pressly helps but I think you have to eat at least some of his salary to make it happen so it won't be the big money saver one might dream it to be.
tjack16
AG
cc10106 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Few notes:

Jose seemed pretty adamant about Alex needing to stay. Surprised how outspoken he has been about it.

I'd imagine Jose is frustrating with watching the core get torn apart and Bregman is kind of the final one from that 2017 team. At least on the offensive side he's the last one.

Although we can all agree letting Correa and springer go was best, I'm sure personally he wants to keep as much of that core together as possible
htxag09
AG
He's welcome to offer to cut his salary to help....
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

Something similar happened to me back in March when I would get exertion headaches and then I started having fluid in my lungs as well. Went to the hospital and my BP was 193/120. That was the wake up call I needed. Since then I've dropped 50lbs and am off almost all diabetic meds.

Always listen to your body
No matter what!
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
MaxPower said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Few notes:

- Not sure exactly what the plan at 3B would be short-term
- Christian Walker and Nick Pivetta are a couple names to watch in FA
I like both of those players but the math isn't mathing. Those guys aren't premium free agents but they aren't league minimum guys either. This team is looking at a $200+M payroll without adding or resigning anyone and Dana is already talking about "creativity" either payroll. Dumping Pressly helps but I think you have to eat at least some of his salary to make it happen so it won't be the big money saver one might dream it to be.

Think we can buyout presly's option for 2 mil. Think that can be handled.
n_touch
All I do is Nguyen said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Something similar happened to me back in March when I would get exertion headaches and then I started having fluid in my lungs as well. Went to the hospital and my BP was 193/120. That was the wake up call I needed. Since then I've dropped 50lbs and am off almost all diabetic meds.

Always listen to your body
Hell yea that is awesome to hear. Losing weight it a great accomplishment in today's world of all the crap food we have around us. Keep that up
MaxPower
I believe Pressly's option is a player option. He could take the $2M buyout and go where he wants but doubt he gets close to $14M so unless he's really pissed he's better off taking the cash.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

I believe Pressly's option is a player option. He could take the $2M buyout and go where he wants but doubt he gets close to $14M so unless he's really pissed he's better off taking the cash.
This.

Maybe he take the 2 M and is then willing to accept a lower AAV for multiple years.

Would 2/20 M + 2M buyout > 14 M plus whatever 1-year deal he gets after 2025?
cc10106
tjack16 said:

cc10106 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Few notes:

I'd imagine Jose is frustrating with watching the core get torn apart and Bregman is kind of the final one from that 2017 team. At least on the offensive side he's the last one.

Although we can all agree letting Correa and springer go was best, I'm sure personally he wants to keep as much of that core together as possible
Speaking of Carlos and George, i wonder what Alex thinks about playing for a team that isn't set up to win considering that's all he's done here. He seems like the type that can have a lot of value later on even if he can't keep playing third base. Like a Brantley-type hitter which we really missed this season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
My next alcoholic drink will be my first!
cc10106
Calling it: Pressly signs with Arlington

**Nevermind, no buyout apparently.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Reposting this again since the buyout topic came up again. There is no buyout
Farmer1906
AG
I get what you're saying but savant just said he had his best defensive year of his career. He should be a GG finalist. He might even win it, but it should likely goto Josh Rojas.
Hornbeck
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

My next alcoholic drink will be my first!

In the words of Kevin Fowler…. I'm not drinking any more, but I'm not drinking any less.
07ag
AG
tjack16 said:

cc10106 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Few notes:

mccullers still technically under contract
https://ts.la/eric59704
First Page
Page 1905 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.