***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,728,709 Views | 66689 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by tjack16
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been since 2016 that an offseason thread has had to be made prior to the ALCS. Feels weird. Who is going to start it?
gambochaman
AG
I tend to agree as well minus the yordan bit

I shop around framber and tucker 100%….better get something for them now than lose them for nothing later
agdaddy04
AG
I think it's crazy to discount every thing that comes along with Bregman. His defense is elite and he's been solid in the postseason. He was also instrumental in turnaround for some of our pitchers. I think it's a good thing to have a grinder like him on the squad. How easy is that to replace?
TarponChaser
agdaddy04 said:

I think it's crazy to discount every thing that comes along with Bregman. His defense is elite and he's been solid in the postseason. He was also instrumental in turnaround for some of our pitchers. I think it's a good thing to have a grinder like him on the squad. How easy is that to replace?

Agreed. If we can only keep one out of Tucker & Bregman I'd rather keep Bregman.
Wabs
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Agree 100%. But what is a deal that will keep him here? 4 years, $120M?
cc10106
Chapman got 6 years and is older than Bregman. Why would Alex take less years in a deal?
Wabs
AG
cc10106 said:

Chapman got 6 years and is older than Bregman. Why would Alex take less years in a deal?
Chapman was what? 6 years, 150?
tjack16
AG
So realistically, how far did y'all think we would go in this playoff if you had to bet all your money on it?

The most logical realistic part of me would've said eliminated in the ALDS by Cleveland. I didn't think we'd make it all the way, but I'm just shocked. We got swept at home in the wild card
FrioAg 00
AG
We were flawed but the field IMO is very weak this year.

Detroit and San Diego have been very hot, but neither are juggernauts. Dodgers and Yankees are both their typically overrated mediocre teams.

So I thought we might go far just because their aren't any scary teams out there, really.
agdaddy04
AG
I'd probably try to get it for 4/130, but have no idea if he takes that. Also it's not my money, so easy for me to say.
Teddy Perkins
AG
How heated is Crane that he got beat by Hinch's squad? Hinch's sly smile when answering "isn't baseball great, it's unbelievable" when asked "what are the emotions for you in beating [the Astros, your former team]" has to make Crane fume, I would think.
Deluxe
AG
Agree with you guys. I think we have an opportunity window this offseason to overhaul the offense that may not come again and we should take advantage of it.

As long as we were continually making the CS and playing the WS every other year, I was fine keeping the band together, despite some holes and flaws in our offense/lineup construction. It's hard to mess with things too much when you're winning. Patch holes. Kick cans down the road.

But I think the last out on the 2024 Astros in the wild card round marked the end of the "2017-2024" chapter and frees us up to make some overhauls with the future in mind. Even if it means taking a step back for a year.

I feel very strongly that it's much better to do a "rebuild" a year too early than a year too late. Right now, one could argue it would be a year too early for the Astros. IMO, that's the sweet spot. If we do it right, we could be right back knocking on the playoff door in 2026.

FWIW, I don't think we need to much (if anything) on the pitching side. We've proven over and over that we can find talented arms and develop them. We've got quite a few starters locked in with long term control. Just keep doing what we're doing on that front. Everything "rebuild" related is offense.

On the previous page, Heinekin did a great job above of laying out the consequences of paying big money to keep the core together long term. I've been thinking the exact same things. Let's say we let Bregman walk but find a way to keep Tucker, who along with Altuve and Yordan will make a nice 1-3 for a few more years anyway. Yainer is a dude too.

But what do we have beyond those 4? A bunch of replacement level guys. To me, that scenario is everything we've ever made fun of about some Yankees and Angels teams in recent years. A few high priced stars who can't do it alone burdening the payroll, leaving limited flexibility to fill out the rest of the lineup.

The best way (arguably only way) to set the table for long term success is to anchor your roster with multiple high-level talents on pre-arb contracts. Our farm system is starting to show some signs of life but it's far from being able to lynchpin a rebuild on its own. We need to bring in some close-to-MLB-ready talent (via trade), get them on the field and see what they can do.

We've had good success with pitcher "tryouts" over the years and founds some gems that maybe we wouldn't have otherwise found if veteran mainstays had been blocking their paths. I think we could do the same thing with the offense in 2025. Acquire some strength in numbers on the prospect-front and let them compete with our existing guys.

All that to say, I think we need to deal Framber and Tucker this offseason. 100%. Let Bregman walk. Let Pressly walk. Let JV walk. And seriously explore what we can get for Yordan or Pena. With regard to Yordan, obviously you force a team to let us pillage 4-5 their top prospects. No settling.

This ought to be right up Dana Brown's alley. Let him cook and use the eye for talent that he's known for but we haven't really let him use during his tenure.

We could walk away from that with a surge of ~10 prospects, 4-6 of which are prime and ready to go into spring training and compete for a job. Combine them with Melton, Dezenzo, maybe Matthews later in the year, etc and you can kind of start to see something take shape.

Altuve won't like it much but he can't do much about it. Let him take it easy next year. Give him a month long "IL" vacation in July. Part of me wants to start the process of turning the locker room over to Yainer anyway. Come 2026, I think he'll like what he says. After "tryouts" are over in 2025, we should hopefully have line-of-sight to a couple foundation players to build around. We'll also know what we need to address via free agency in 25-26 offseason and have plenty of cap space to do it. No more Abreu/Montero dead money.

Anyway, that's the path that gets me most jazzed up.
cc10106
This team could've gotten hot again and made another ALCS if not a World Series, but i knew losing in the Wild Card was not unlikely if the offense slumped. We've been so reliant on homeruns to score IMO, especially for a team that doesn't slug like it used to, not to mention the RISP issue.

*edit: Also i don't really care that we had only had 5 less hits than them. They scored more runs than us yesterday in one inning than both games combined. Not coming back on Tuesday after holding them to 3 runs was too much to overcome.
FrioAg 00
AG
We also were a well hit 9th inning ball being 2 degrees different angle away from winning game 1.

And if Tucker doesn't choke into the DP with 2 on base in the 2nd, Pressley couldn't have put us into danger that fast for Game 2.

Baseball is just funny like that. That's why it's so amazing what we've done over the last 9 years.
cc10106
Wabs said:

cc10106 said:

Chapman was what? 6 years, 150?
Yah. That's gotta be the baseline.
cc10106
FrioAg 00 said:

We also were a well hit 9th inning ball being 2 degrees different angle away from winning game 1.

And if Tucker doesn't choke into the DP with 2 on base in the 2nd, Pressley couldn't have put us into danger that fast for Game 2.

Baseball is just funny like that. That's why it's so amazing what we've done over the last 9 years.
I always try to factor luck, good or bad, into it. I just think we were exposed a bit since the beginning of the season with the very first series against NY. Past Astros teams had offenses that could scratch 1 of 2 across more consistently between bigger innings. This was the worst offense since 2018.
linkdude
AG
In 22, Heyward's ball would've gone to the corner and won the game, just needed a little more elevation. Tucker's GIDP was killer, knew 2 wouldn't be enough to win.
f1ghtintexasaggie
W said:

so Hader + Pressly = $33 MM for 2025

woof

Especially so when one is pissy about losing his position and neither can reliably go a clean inning.
cc10106
Hader and Press should fight in the offseason. Get the egos out of the way and come back ready to dominate. My money would be on Press, but Hader can probably put his yoga skills to use and inflict pain as well.
W
AG
I don't attribute much of the wildcard sweep to luck

Pena's GiDP in the 4th with 2 runners on...he got a 2-1 pitch over the plate thigh-high...and just missed it

a better hitter knocks that ball into the LF gap and both runners score

but a .701 OPS hitter like Pena -- misses that pitch
txags92
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Nobody is discounting what he brings to the table at all and in ideal circumstances we would all want him back. But I believe for a large portion of the posters here, signing him to a 6 year deal for north of $150 million is much less than ideal given how we have been burned by long deals to aging players. If we could get him for a 3/$85-90M I think quite a few of us would be tempted pull that trigger.

His elbow issues have to factor into how long you think his health will hold out and his long dry spells and dropoff in power and speed have to factor in to that decision as well.
AggieJ2002
AG
W said:

I don't attribute much of the wildcard sweep to luck

Pena's GiDP in the 4th with 2 runners on...he got a 2-1 pitch over the plate thigh-high...and just missed it

a better hitter knocks that ball into the LF gap and both runners score

but a .701 OPS hitter like Pena -- misses that pitch

Pena also hit that ball 108 off the bat with an XBA of .610. If that ball is not right at the fielder we are talking about how great a clutch hit it is. In a short series luck plays a large part, but I agree that this sweep was not about luck. The Tigers took advantage of their situations. Let's not forget the Astros had a number of lucky bloop hits in game 1 and we didn't take advantage of any of them.
MaxPower
Deluxe said:

Agree with you guys. I think we have an opportunity window this offseason to overhaul the offense that may not come again and we should take advantage of it.

As long as we were continually making the CS and playing the WS every other year, I was fine keeping the band together, despite some holes and flaws in our offense/lineup construction. It's hard to mess with things too much when you're winning. Patch holes. Kick cans down the road.

But I think the last out on the 2024 Astros in the wild card round marked the end of the "2017-2024" chapter and frees us up to make some overhauls with the future in mind. Even if it means taking a step back for a year.

I feel very strongly that it's much better to do a "rebuild" a year too early than a year too late. Right now, one could argue it would be a year too early for the Astros. IMO, that's the sweet spot. If we do it right, we could be right back knocking on the playoff door in 2026.

FWIW, I don't think we need to much (if anything) on the pitching side. We've proven over and over that we can find talented arms and develop them. We've got quite a few starters locked in with long term control. Just keep doing what we're doing on that front. Everything "rebuild" related is offense.

On the previous page, Heinekin did a great job above of laying out the consequences of paying big money to keep the core together long term. I've been thinking the exact same things. Let's say we let Bregman walk but find a way to keep Tucker, who along with Altuve and Yordan will make a nice 1-3 for a few more years anyway. Yainer is a dude too.

But what do we have beyond those 4? A bunch of replacement level guys. To me, that scenario is everything we've ever made fun of about some Yankees and Angels teams in recent years. A few high priced stars who can't do it alone burdening the payroll, leaving limited flexibility to fill out the rest of the lineup.

The best way (arguably only way) to set the table for long term success is to anchor your roster with multiple high-level talents on pre-arb contracts. Our farm system is starting to show some signs of life but it's far from being able to lynchpin a rebuild on its own. We need to bring in some close-to-MLB-ready talent (via trade), get them on the field and see what they can do.

We've had good success with pitcher "tryouts" over the years and founds some gems that maybe we wouldn't have otherwise found if veteran mainstays had been blocking their paths. I think we could do the same thing with the offense in 2025. Acquire some strength in numbers on the prospect-front and let them compete with our existing guys.

All that to say, I think we need to deal Framber and Tucker this offseason. 100%. Let Bregman walk. Let Pressly walk. Let JV walk. And seriously explore what we can get for Yordan or Pena. With regard to Yordan, obviously you force a team to let us pillage 4-5 their top prospects. No settling.

This ought to be right up Dana Brown's alley. Let him cook and use the eye for talent that he's known for but we haven't really let him use during his tenure.

We could walk away from that with a surge of ~10 prospects, 4-6 of which are prime and ready to go into spring training and compete for a job. Combine them with Melton, Dezenzo, maybe Matthews later in the year, etc and you can kind of start to see something take shape.

Altuve won't like it much but he can't do much about it. Let him take it easy next year. Give him a month long "IL" vacation in July. Part of me wants to start the process of turning the locker room over to Yainer anyway. Come 2026, I think he'll like what he says. After "tryouts" are over in 2025, we should hopefully have line-of-sight to a couple foundation players to build around. We'll also know what we need to address via free agency in 25-26 offseason and have plenty of cap space to do it. No more Abreu/Montero dead money.

Anyway, that's the path that gets me most jazzed up.
Well put. I think the fans will get behind a rebuild of sorts. The question is whether Crane can. This team will have a very good pitching staff. If you can get young players that can increase team speed and defense this team could still be competitive, even if it takes a year or two for those bats to develop. That's the formula the Tigers and Royals used this year.
BCEDAg
AG
I have no problem trading Framber and Tucker and getting good prospects in return. But keeping Bregman to a reasonable deal would be good for the clubhouse morale. Bergs is the heart and soul of this team.
Valdez would be missed but Brown and Arraghetti are future studs on the mound, and hopefully Garcia will return from injury and regain the solid pitcher that he's been in the past, as well as Javier. And I'm not forgetting Blanco as a solid rotation piece either moving forward. Resigning Kikuchi would be gravy.
Mr.Bond
AG
I'm still depressed as ****. We lost to a bad baseball team.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

txags92
AG
BCEDAg said:

I have no problem trading Framber and Tucker and getting good prospects in return. But keeping Bregman to a reasonable deal would be good for the clubhouse morale. Bergs is the heart and soul of this team.
Valdez would be missed but Brown and Arraghetti are future studs on the mound, and hopefully Garcia will return from injury and regain the solid pitcher that he's been in the past, as well as Javier. And I'm not forgetting Blanco as a solid rotation piece either moving forward. Resigning Kikuchi would be gravy.
Correa was the "heart and soul" before Bregman and Springer was the "heart and soul" before him. I think signing guys to outsized contracts over sentimental concepts such as their "clubhouse value" is usually a bad idea.
W
AG
yep, wonder what's the combined payroll...of the 7 Detroit relievers yesterday...that shutdown the 'stros

maybe $10 MM total
cone
AG
i'm completely okay with the Astros being the worst team in the league for multiple years

we had a great run. it's time to reload for another one.
mAgnoliAg
AG
W said:

yep, wonder what's the combined payroll...of the 7 Detroit relievers yesterday...that shutdown the 'stros

maybe $10 MM total

Their entire team is like $19.8 million so I don't think 7 pitchers would add up to $10
CFTXAG10
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I don't know how theyd pull it off $ wise but whats the boards general thoughts on Pete Alonso as an option at first base?

RED AG 98
AG
Alonso omg. This game is fun.
mwm
I hate the mets.
agproducer
AG
mwm said:

I hate the mets.

Agree, but tip your cap. That was monster.
RED AG 98
AG
Agreed. First reaction was "not like this Brewers" but that was clutch. And I've never hated Pete.
gambochaman
AG
I dunno

After selig i just cant root for the brewers
First Page Last Page
Page 1903 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.