***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,701,925 Views | 66513 Replies | Last: 15 sec ago by txags92
Honolulu Blue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Add to that:

"He just slept on it wrong."

"Not all bone bruises are the same"
John 6 22:59 The Bread of Life Discourse
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

tjack16 said:

Offseason hopes

- address the outfield. We can't keep platooning guys that can't hit consistently and we will need a Tucker replacement
- develop Pena
- re-sign Kikuchi and get another couple of arms (mainly bullpen)
- offer Bregman a high AAV short term deal with opt outs if that's what he desires
- get everybody healthy

I'll play with a slight variation. Things I do NOT want to hear in 2025:

1. "Back of the baseball card"
2. "Ferguson is warming up in the pen"
3. "Alex Cintron, Astros hitting coach"
4. "One hot streak and this team is right back in it"
5. "McCullers is scheduled for a soft toss session back in Houston"
6. "We'll talk to Tucker and his agent after the season is over"

"_____ is playing catch today" as an injury update
W
AG
"throwing off flat ground"
Mathguy64
AG
linkdude said:

Tuve is doing his part

He Jose talking to Scott Boras? Because that's going to be the sticking point here.

Boras wants to talk someone into 6 years or more.
Philip J Fry
AG
Has any player with Boras as their agent ever stayed with the Astros?
tjack16
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Altuve and Bregman with their extensions
Sex Panther
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Altuve
agintex
linkdude said:

Tuve is doing his part
Now we just need Bregman to do his part.......on the field
AggiEE
Boras burned a bunch of clients last year so hopefully that weighs in on Bregman's mind to not chase lunacy
SeanDaAg2005
AG
It sucks but there's no way resigning bregman is a good idea
tjack16
AG
SeanDaAg2005 said:

It sucks but there's no way resigning bregman is a good idea

I think it's a good idea as long as it's a shorter term deal with opt out. If it's the traditional longer deal then no.

Teams can get creative with the deferred money and the opt out structure. So that's my hope is that we just extend him for a couple more years then he can opt out after 2026 or something if he plays well.
Heineken-Ashi
GoAgs11 said:

Think we all kinda knew this would happen

Also, espada sucks
I hated on Espada most of the year. But our lineup just plain sucked most of the year. He can rotate players daily and mess with the batting order. Doesn't matter. The jimmy's and joe's just weren't there. Again, we were relying on Chaz, Jake, Dubon, and Caratini ALOT even when healthy. That's not a winning team if the pitching can't keep the opposing team to 2 runs or less. We lost half a season of Bregman just like every other year because the guy sucks ass until mid June. We lost half a season of Tucker. We were playing a combo of Cabbage, Gamel, and Heyward for a large chunk of the season. That might make a good law firm name, but it's awful for a baseball lineup. We played a combo of Dezenzo, Whitcomb, Corona, Hummel, and Leon for many games. One or two of those might become better than replacement level. But none of them belong anywhere near a playoff team. Injuries suck, but when you have the lack of depth we do, its a miracle we did what we did. I give Espada an A- on the season. Still don't think he's the long-term answer. But he's not the problem.
tjack16
AG
6 years 150 MM with opt out after year 2 and 4

That's what I'd offer Bregman
HTownAg98
linkdude said:

He gone.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Hornbeck said:

So. What does the Astros organization need to do in the offseason to get back on a winning track?

Sign Bregman for $$$ or let him walk?

What do we do about First Base?

Centerfield?

Extend Tucker?

Keep Cintron, or let him go?

Trade a disgruntled Pressly?

Finally let LMJ ride off into the sunset?
Sign Bregman for $$$ or let him walk? - Offer him 3 years for whatever amount. He turns 31 next March 30th. Sign that heal and he'll be with us for years 31, 32, 33.

What do we do about First Base? - Find a guy who can field the position, draw some walks, and hit 20 HR and drive in 80 runs. I don't care where he comes from. The terrible

Centerfield? - I'm surprisingly OK with Jake, although he should never bat higher than 8th.

Extend Tucker? - He missed 84 games, after being very healthy for '21-'23, but the post-season hitting slump has become a nightmare: .154 vs. the Yankees in 22 ALCS; .190 in the '22 WS; .143 vs. MIN in '23 ALDS, .154 vs. Texas in '23 ALCS; .000 vs. Detroit in '24 WC. If he wants to come back, sign him. If he wants to be Correa/Beltran bidding war McGee, don't bother.

Keep Cintron, or let him go? Elsa says let it go

Trade a disgruntled Pressly? He has a $14m mutual option for next year or a $2m buyout. Pay him the buyout and retire his jersey (I'm serious) at some point. Guy had a 0.00 ERA in the 2018 ALDS; 2020 ALWC; 2020 ALCS; 2021 ALDS; 2021 WS; 2022 ALDS; 2022 ALCS; 2022 WS: 2023 ALDS; and 2023 ALCS. He easily could have been WS MVP in 2022.

Finally let LMJ ride off into the sunset? Lance has been paid $33.65 million over the past 2 years without throwing a single pitch in the majors. He turned 31 today. It's unfortunately time the Astros go '06 Bagwell on him and prove he can no longer play in the majors due to injuries. Because right now he's on the books for $17.7 million in 2025 and $17.7 million in 2026. That's a lot of money we really need.
Heineken-Ashi
Beau Holder said:

AggiEE said:

BeaumontAg05 said:

Again, we very much have a hitting approach problem. Been that way all season, and we all could see how that wouldn't play in the playoffs.

Can we re-sign Bregman at 3B this offseason and make him our hitting coach?

I swear if our players were patient like he generally is we'd have a lot more "luck" in our favor

He decided to stop being patient too and it was a definite part of making the problem as big as it was.

Losing protecting in the lineup hurt him. He's a beast when surrounded by Altuve, Springer, Correa, Tucker, or Yordan. But when he's batting 3rd or 4th and the most menacing you can potentially put behind him is Yainer, it suddenly becomes a lot easier to pitch around Bregman. And instead of being patient, he tried to be the hero. That's not his game. That's why I always say Bregman has to bat somewhere in the lineup with protection to get max Bregman.
Beau Holder
AG
Mathguy64 said:

That's not how arbitration works. They are under contract. The process allows the player to go to arbitration yearly to set their contract value.

Non-tendering is a thing though?
Heineken-Ashi
Maroon&Fight said:

It's hard for me at 23 to remember a time when the Astros weren't exciting to watch and making deep postseason runs. These next couple years may be quite sobering…I'll be here complaining through it all with you guys though
Consider yourself lucky. At 23, I was watching Tommy Manzella and Kaz Matsui. And one of them had anal issues.
Beau Holder
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

GoAgs11 said:

Think we all kinda knew this would happen

Also, espada sucks
I hated on Espada most of the year. But our lineup just plain sucked most of the year. He can rotate players daily and mess with the batting order. Doesn't matter. The jimmy's and joe's just weren't there. Again, we were relying on Chaz, Jake, Dubon, and Caratini ALOT even when healthy. That's not a winning team if the pitching can't keep the opposing team to 2 runs or less. We lost half a season of Bregman just like every other year because the guy sucks ass until mid June. We lost half a season of Tucker. We were playing a combo of Cabbage, Gamel, and Heyward for a large chunk of the season. That might make a good law firm name, but it's awful for a baseball lineup. We played a combo of Dezenzo, Whitcomb, Corona, Hummel, and Leon for many games. One or two of those might become better than replacement level. But none of them belong anywhere near a playoff team. Injuries suck, but when you have the lack of depth we do, its a miracle we did what we did. I give Espada an A- on the season. Still don't think he's the long-term answer. But he's not the problem.

I agree with this and I like the guy but the glaring flaw is he made a very Dusty decision to set Abreu-Pressley-Hader 7-8-9 and never deviate from that or just use them as the game situation demands, which is how you maximize that talent (to the extent you can call completely cooked Pressley a talent), and it blew up in his face at the end.

This roster and the coaching staff need a ton of work, but he needs to learn some things too if he's coming back.
Quo Vadis?
HTownAg98 said:

Here's what the projected arbitration numbers are for next year. Oof.

Is it just me or is that a lot better than I was worried about
Quo Vadis?
How do we let LMJ ride off into the sunset? Isn't the money spent either way?
linkdude
AG
Almost forgot that HB was my player to defend at the beginning of the year, and today was quite the start for him. Fastball played up to 99 and he kept Detroit off balance all day. Most of all, he had swagger and went at their hitters with no fear. Unless we ship out Framber he won't get the opening day start next year, but he's the number 1 on this team in our hearts.

I hope he gets more October starts to show out in the future.
Beau Holder
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Maroon&Fight said:

It's hard for me at 23 to remember a time when the Astros weren't exciting to watch and making deep postseason runs. These next couple years may be quite sobering…I'll be here complaining through it all with you guys though
Consider yourself lucky. At 23, I was watching Tommy Manzella and Kaz Matsui. And one of them had anal issues.

I was at Game 3 in 2005 and at a lot of the home playoff games we lost in 2018, the 2019 WS, the game where the Red Sox hit two grand slams in the 2021 ALCS, game 6 in the 2021 WS, game 1 in that awful ALCS last year, and game 1 yesterday. I've seen this team **** its pants in front of its crowd time after time.

I also was at Tuve's walkoff in the 2019 ALCS, game 1 of the 2022 ALCS, the 2022 WS afterparty downtown, and the 2023 ALDS. I've seen some great moments.

It feels like a lot of opportunity missed right now overall. But I rode the whole way and nothing will ever take the memories of 2017 and 2022 away. I'm just sad it's over and I don't have a lot of glaring reason for optimism about how they're going to build to the next window outside of a Brown-Blanco-Arrighetti-Kikuchi (if they re-sign him) rotation. This roster of bats is hollowed out awful and the stars are too old or too streaky.
gambochaman
AG
Yep sad its over but for some reason I am not as upset this season as i was in the last few years when we didnt win the WS

It almost felt like we were playing with house money, the way this season started
Mathguy64
AG
Beau Holder said:

Mathguy64 said:

That's not how arbitration works. They are under contract. The process allows the player to go to arbitration yearly to set their contract value.

Non-tendering is a thing though?

If you don't want the player any more? I guess so. But then you release the player. With no compensation.
Beau Holder
AG
Agree, it was obvious this team never had it. I was prepared and expected it. Just still wish I could wake up for another day of Astros baseball. But there's a lot of work to make the 2025 team less of a chore; someone's got to prove this org is still up to the task.
Hornbeck
AG
I was at Game 3 in 2005. They quit selling beer… that sucked.
gambochaman
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Hornbeck said:

So. What does the Astros organization need to do in the offseason to get back on a winning track?

Sign Bregman for $$$ or let him walk?

What do we do about First Base?

Centerfield?

Extend Tucker?

Keep Cintron, or let him go?

Trade a disgruntled Pressly?

Finally let LMJ ride off into the sunset?
Sign Bregman for $$$ or let him walk? - Offer him 3 years for whatever amount. He turns 31 next March 30th. Sign that heal and he'll be with us for years 31, 32, 33.

What do we do about First Base? - Find a guy who can field the position, draw some walks, and hit 20 HR and drive in 80 runs. I don't care where he comes from. The terrible

Centerfield? - I'm surprisingly OK with Jake, although he should never bat higher than 8th.

Extend Tucker? - He missed 84 games, after being very healthy for '21-'23, but the post-season hitting slump has become a nightmare: .154 vs. the Yankees in 22 ALCS; .190 in the '22 WS; .143 vs. MIN in '23 ALDS, .154 vs. Texas in '23 ALCS; .000 vs. Detroit in '24 WC. If he wants to come back, sign him. If he wants to be Correa/Beltran bidding war McGee, don't bother.

Keep Cintron, or let him go? Elsa says let it go

Trade a disgruntled Pressly? He has a $14m mutual option for next year or a $2m buyout. Pay him the buyout and retire his jersey (I'm serious) at some point. Guy had a 0.00 ERA in the 2018 ALDS; 2020 ALWC; 2020 ALCS; 2021 ALDS; 2021 WS; 2022 ALDS; 2022 ALCS; 2022 WS: 2023 ALDS; and 2023 ALCS. He easily could have been WS MVP in 2022.

Finally let LMJ ride off into the sunset? Lance has been paid $33.65 million over the past 2 years without throwing a single pitch in the majors. He turned 31 today. It's unfortunately time the Astros go '06 Bagwell on him and prove he can no longer play in the majors due to injuries. Because right now he's on the books for $17.7 million in 2025 and $17.7 million in 2026. That's a lot of money we really need.

Cant disagree with any of this
Cromagnum
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.

AreyouseriousClark.gif
Wabs
AG
Just glad I got to see (in person for G6 2022) this golden era of Astros baseball. It's been an absolute GREAT run. But man, we seemingly have a bunch of obstacles/decisions over the offseason to just remain relatively competitive to make the postseason. My gut for some reason is saying just start a rebuild, even if it's a "soft rebuild". I'd like to see what we can get for Tucker and Pena.
jkag89
Finally let LMJ ride off into the sunset? - Not sure how the deal is structured, is there some sort of opt out? If not the Astros are on the hook.
Kashchei
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Maroon&Fight said:

I'm sorry, this will never not be funny. I wonder what asinine euphemism Dana would use if Kaz was on the roster today. "Kaz just sat on the toilet wrong but we expect him to push through it."
Hornbeck
AG
jkag89 said:

Finally let LMJ ride off into the sunset? - Not sure how the deal is structured, is there some sort of opt out? If not the Astros are on the hook.

If they can prove he medically can't play (like Strasburg) then hopefully they have insurance and get made whole that way. In the case of the Nats, they didn't have insurance.
txags92
AG
Kashchei said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Maroon&Fight said:

I'm sorry, this will never not be funny. I wonder what asinine euphemism Dana would use if Kaz was on the roster today. "Kaz just sat on the toilet wrong but we expect him to push through it."
"We know he has been dealing with a heavy load and we are just hoping things come out alright."
jkag89
Furlock Bones said:

Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.

Are you serious?
First Page Last Page
Page 1896 of 1901

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.