***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,702,271 Views | 66516 Replies | Last: 26 sec ago by Ihatefallscounty
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.

Some of you are so miserable it really is mind boggling
Texaggie7nine
Dynasty isn't over till we miss the playoffs.
7nine
tjack16
AG
I'm not ready to say the run is over yet. We can still make the playoffs next year with this roster if guys stay healthy and produce to their averages.

My worry is we won't really address the major team needs in an efficient way.
CFTXAG10
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Dynasty isn't over till we miss the playoffs.

Yea this division sucks so the title is always there but we need some roster magic to get some clutch hitters
BadAggie
AG
If Crane and Tucker are off significantly on extension terms then best to shop him in offseason and see what haul you might be able to pull.

I'd rather not break up the Yordan/Tucker LHB combo but if Crane is going to let him walk might as well maximize the return

W
AG
the starting rotation next year looks really good:

Framber, Hunter, Javier, Arrighetti, Big Luis, and Urquidy

not sure who all will be ready to go in April
TarponChaser
HTownAg98 said:

Here's what the projected arbitration numbers are for next year. Oof.

I'm not 100% on how the arbitration works, can we just say "we don't want you so go get what you can get"?

If so, on that list and at those numbers I'm only interested in keeping Framber, Tucker, Dubon, Abreu, and Pena.

While I love LuAce and Urquidy I don't want to sink money into arms coming off injury.
GoAgs11
Cramer is cheap he aint paying for King Tuck
Mathguy64
AG
That's not how arbitration works. They are under contract. The process allows the player to go to arbitration yearly to set their contract value.
Marvin
AG
W said:

Javier isn't pitching until at least the ASB. I'd be surprised if Urquidy sees the field again as an Astro. They need another starter. And don't forget about Blanco.
TRM
AG
W said:

Doubtful Javier and Urquidy will be ready in April. I don't think France will be ready either.

Need to shore up the pen. Get a Brantley type guy for left, maybe one that can play left and 1st.
Ciboag96
Hey guys. Is the 2025 Astros game thread going to be titled "back-to-back-to-back-to-back AL West Division Champion Title Defense " I think it should.
Boiling Denim

Offseason wants:

Relieve Cintron of his duties or highly encourage him to take another job elsewhere

See if we can resign Kikuchi to a short deal. I don't trust our guys coming back from setbacks(LMJ and Garcia) and don't think we'll see Urquidy or Javier next year

Find a way to cut the cord on Dubon and Meyers. This offense cannot thrive with those two and Altuve hacking at everything. We only have room for one free swinger and I'm letting the HoFer do it.

Let Bregman go as hard as it will be. But he's falling off year over year and one of these seasons he won't destroy it in August and it's gonna be an ugly season

Extend Tucker. As complete ass as he's been in the playoffs I think we need him to even make it over the course of the 162. It will also give us some wiggle room to try and find young talent to plug the other holes(CF, 3B and platoon 1B)
W
AG
Blanco -- that's right

so the starting rotation still looks good

it's the lineup without Bregman that needs significant pieces
W
AG
and part of the plan for 2025 has to be to resurrect Chas and Pena

get somebody new to work with them
linkdude
AG
Sex Panther
AG
Kikuchi needs to re-sign with Houston simply for the reason we turned him into an ace overnight
All I do is Nguyen
Ciboag96 said:

Hey guys. Is the 2025 Astros game thread going to be titled "back-to-back-to-back-to-back AL West Division Champion Title Defense " I think it should.
I can definitively say that answer is a resounding….no
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Marvin
AG
W said:

Blanco -- that's right

so the starting rotation still looks good

it's the lineup without Bregman that needs significant pieces

Agree. And some outfield help. I think we can live with first base as it is- some platoon- but CF was a wasteland.
Ags #1
AG
Probably only have 2-3 years of him at this rate. His knees may cut his career short probably , never a good sign when big men starting getting more than 1 knee injury
linkdude
AG
Marvin
AG
linkdude said:

When a player responds like that, it's not good. I hope he gets it fixed instead of hoping that rest will do the trick. Get it over with.
linkdude
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Ciboag96 said:

I can definitively say that answer is a resounding….no
Maybe something about winning a home playoff game
tjack16
AG
Offseason hopes

- address the outfield. We can't keep platooning guys that can't hit consistently and we will need a Tucker replacement
- develop Pena
- re-sign Kikuchi and get another couple of arms (mainly bullpen)
- offer Bregman a high AAV short term deal with opt outs if that's what he desires
- get everybody healthy
CFTXAG10
AG
Marvin said:

linkdude said:

When a player responds like that, it's not good. I hope he gets it fixed instead of hoping that rest will do the trick. Get it over with.

I thought the same thing. Operate tomorrow if it's necessary
linkdude
AG
Tuve is doing his part
West Roxbury
Frok said:

7 Division Titles
9 Playoff appearances
7 ALCS appearances
4 pennants
2 WS Titles
1 MVP
2 Cy-Young Awards

All good things come to an end. It's very difficult to sustain a run like that without a massive payroll.

Totally agree and it's been so much fun. But getting swept at home in one World Series and another ALCs and then a wild card series does suck.
Frok
AG
West Roxbury said:

Frok said:

7 Division Titles
9 Playoff appearances
7 ALCS appearances
4 pennants
2 WS Titles
1 MVP
2 Cy-Young Awards

All good things come to an end. It's very difficult to sustain a run like that without a massive payroll.

Totally agree and it's been so much fun. But getting swept at home in one World Series and another ALCs and then a wild card series does suck.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
Hornbeck
AG
So. What does the Astros organization need to do in the offseason to get back on a winning track?

Sign Bregman for $$$ or let him walk?

What do we do about First Base?

Centerfield?

Extend Tucker?

Keep Cintron, or let him go?

Trade a disgruntled Pressly?

Finally let LMJ ride off into the sunset?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Maroon&Fight said:

It's hard for me at 23 to remember a time when the Astros weren't exciting to watch and making deep postseason runs. These next couple years may be quite sobering…I'll be here complaining through it all with you guys though
When I was 23, we "won" the Central with an 84-78 record, and were systematically destroyed by the Braves in 3 games. I paid $100 to sit in the center field upper deck for Game 3, about 6,000 feet in the air, so high we couldn't actually see Chuckie Carr's homer off John Smoltz because we were basically parallel with the wall.

We were outscored 18-5 in that serious, had to go up against 3 HOF starting pitchers, and NEVER HAD THE LEAD. Tom Glavine had more hits in the series (2) than Jeff Bagwell (1), Craig Biggio (1), or Derek Bell (0).

And a month later we left some guy named Bobby Abreu unprotected in the expansion draft. He had hit 3 HR in 2 cups of coffee for the Astros. He then hit 285 more elsewhere.

And you know what? We were ECSTATIC because it had been ELEVEN YEARS since we had made the playoffs. What a difference a generation makes

gambochaman
AG
tjack16 said:

Offseason hopes

- address the outfield. We can't keep platooning guys that can't hit consistently and we will need a Tucker replacement
- develop Pena
- offer Bregman a high AAV short term deal with opt outs if that's what he desires
- get everybody healthy

New hitting coach
tjack16
AG
gambochaman said:

tjack16 said:

Offseason hopes

- develop Pena
- get everybody healthy

New hitting coach

That too
superaggie73
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Maroon&Fight said:

It's hard for me at 23 to remember a time when the Astros weren't exciting to watch and making deep postseason runs. These next couple years may be quite sobering…I'll be here complaining through it all with you guys though
When I was 23, we "won" the Central with an 84-78 record, and were systematically destroyed by the Braves in 3 games. I paid $100 to sit in the center field upper deck for Game 3, about 6,000 feet in the air, so high we couldn't actually see Chuckie Carr's homer off John Smoltz because we were basically parallel with the wall.

We were outscored 18-5 in that serious, had to go up against 3 HOF starting pitchers, and NEVER HAD THE LEAD. Tom Glavine had more hits in the series (2) than Jeff Bagwell (1), Craig Biggio (1), or Derek Bell (0).

And a month later we left some guy named Bobby Abreu unprotected in the expansion draft. He had hit 3 HR in 2 cups of coffee for the Astros. He then hit 285 more elsewhere.

And you know what? We were ECSTATIC because it had been ELEVEN YEARS since we had made the playoffs. What a difference a generation makes

You must have had the same seats as me in that game
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

Offseason hopes

- develop Pena
- get everybody healthy

I'll play with a slight variation. Things I do NOT want to hear in 2025:

1. "Back of the baseball card"
2. "Ferguson is warming up in the pen"
3. "Alex Cintron, Astros hitting coach"
4. "One hot streak and this team is right back in it"
5. "McCullers is scheduled for a soft toss session back in Houston"
6. "We'll talk to Tucker and his agent after the season is over"
f1ghtintexasaggie
Maroon&Fight said:

First Page Last Page
Page 1895 of 1901

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.