***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,702,673 Views | 66520 Replies | Last: 14 sec ago by txags92
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't mind the rotation of Diaz, Caratini, and Big Jon at first. That worked well down the stretch and allows us to keep Diaz in the lineup without always having to put him at DH. Use the money elsewhere.
Topher17
AG
agintex said:

If this is the end...it makes that 2019 WS hurt so much more.

3 banners instead of 2 would have been so much sweeter.
2023 all we had to do was win 1 game at home and we'd have another one too. That one is tough to swallow knowing in the moment you were inching closer to a day like today.

I try to never think about 2019. That was one of the greatest teams ever assembled and again all they had to do was win a home game.
BCEDAg
AG
agdaddy04 said:

75AG said:

Dude, window has closed. Too many holes to fill. You don't win championships with Caratini, Dubon, Jake, and Chaz.

We're entering a decade of mediocre baseball

This is so ****ing pathetic it's not even funny. We won a title with a few of those guys already, and Caratini had a better stick than Maldy.

Caratini was a good signing and Dubon is a good utility player. I'd rather see them come off the bench more than be in the starting lineup next year. Need help in CF, someone to platoon at first base with big Jon, and resign Bergman. Trade Tucker now for decent prospects and cut Presley.
wehnerhigh20
AG
Alex Cintrn and Troy Snitker: one or both have gotta go. Preferably by EOD today, even.
Kashchei
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.

Nah, 3 would have been great but 2 is the minimum. It's so hard to win a WS that going .500 is still damn good.
Quo Vadis?
The terrible, horrible, no good very bad Season
heavens11
AG
Yainer and the Starting Pitching (especially given all the injuries) were bright spots.

Most everything else was mid
The Porkchop Express
AG
Well my silver lining is that 20-30 years ago, we'd talk ourselves a good game about how close we were to winning that season and we're right there and blah blah and cry ourselves to sleep.

Was a challenging year for a million reasons, got beat by a white-hot team in the playoffs, and have a lot of work to do in the off-season. I sure hope Dana Brown is up for it.

Until then, the best thread on TexAgs is regrettably shutting down in my book for a long winter's nap.
GoAgs11
Think we all kinda knew this would happen

Also, espada sucks
Beau Holder
AG
W said:

we will slice and dice the Kikuchi trade in the offseason

Dana won the battle but lost the war

Kikuchi pitched once every 5 days

but what about the 4 days inbetween?

needed help there too

When Tucker is as un-clutch and un-full of ****s to give as he is in the playoffs and Altuve is aging rapidly and Yordan is streaky and fragile and Diaz has never seen a pitch three feet out of the zone he won't swing at and Bregman is a pop-up merchant who stopped taking walks and the rest of the roster is full of JAGs, I am just not convinced one bat would've ever fixed this mediocre ass team. And we would've given up the rest of the farm for naught.
AggiEE
BeaumontAg05 said:

Again, we very much have a hitting approach problem. Been that way all season, and we all could see how that wouldn't play in the playoffs.

Can we re-sign Bregman at 3B this offseason and make him our hitting coach?

I swear if our players were patient like he generally is we'd have a lot more "luck" in our favor
W
AG
yes, and that's on Dana

Dubon got 402 at-bats this year and 467 at-bats last year

just way too many for a career .674 OPS hitter
Bulldog73
AG
I seem to be in the minority, but I don't see giving Bregman anything near a market value contract as a prudent move at all. Sucks to get nothing for him, but he's already shown he's significantly on the decline. JMO of course no one will ever pay me to make roster decisions.
Kraft Punk
Also can we please finally be done w Presley????

Dude is a ****ing bum
Marvin
AG
I look forward to discussing the roster and salary cap during the offseason. As always, thanks to everyone for putting up with my irrational rants. I love baseball, and I love living on the edge of any given pitch. Hopefully the players look take this loss and fuel their efforts next year. I'll be here regardless.

P.S.: Screw Cintron
Ciboag96
If Dana Brown doesn't bring in Kikuchi this afterbirth of a season would have ended a while ago. Thankful to have gone this far.

Dare I say it. I may buy a AL West Champ shirt and wear the offseason **** out of it. Hahaha. Suck it Arlington.
Beau Holder
AG
AggiEE said:

BeaumontAg05 said:

Again, we very much have a hitting approach problem. Been that way all season, and we all could see how that wouldn't play in the playoffs.

Can we re-sign Bregman at 3B this offseason and make him our hitting coach?

I swear if our players were patient like he generally is we'd have a lot more "luck" in our favor

He decided to stop being patient too and it was a definite part of making the problem as big as it was.
Trillary Clinton
Great and exciting season. We got to play games 163 & 164! Not a lot of teams can say that. Proud of this bunch!
Bag
AG
The official end to the Astros Dynasty...

What a run it was!
AggiEE
Kraft Punk said:

Dude is a ****ing bum

His option vested
heavens11
AG
Kraft Punk said:

Dude is a ****ing bum
He appears the definition of washed up to me
Boiling Denim
Presley gets the Montero treatment next season. Book it
agproducer
AG
Let us not forget.
Wabs
AG
Officially pulling for Yuli and the Royals now.
W
AG
I think it's a mutual option with a $2 MM buyout

Pressly is likely done in Houston
Ags #1
AG
think you spend that 2 mill quickly if thats the case.
Beau Holder
AG
W said:

I think it's a mutual option with a $2 MM buyout

Pressly is likely done in Houston

Good
HTownAg98
Does anyone know what the dead cap number looks like for next year? I read that it was an atrocious $50MM this year (thanks Abreu).
CFTXAG10
AG
Only hit with risp today was the Dubon bunt
BadAggie
AG
One more time

KUCHI

gambochaman
AG
Trillary Clinton said:

Great and exciting season. We got to play games 163 & 164! Not a lot of teams can say that. Proud of this bunch!

Technically they were 162 and 163
HTownAg98
Here's what the projected arbitration numbers are for next year. Oof.
Frok
AG
7 Division Titles
9 Playoff appearances
7 ALCS appearances
4 pennants
2 WS Titles
1 MVP
2 Cy-Young Awards

All good things come to an end. It's very difficult to sustain a run like that without a massive payroll.
Maroon&Fight
It's hard for me at 23 to remember a time when the Astros weren't exciting to watch and making deep postseason runs. These next couple years may be quite sobering…I'll be here complaining through it all with you guys though
BTKAG97
AG
AggiEE said:

Kraft Punk said:

Dude is a ****ing bum

His option vested
$2 million buyout. Won't be surprised if the Astros pay it.
First Page Last Page
Page 1894 of 1901

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.