***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,696,774 Views | 66479 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by iBrad
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The O's have score 0 runs in 12 innings so far....
Heineken-Ashi
Satellite of Love said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like Drayton is back leading the front. Over pay for guys past their prime just to make sure butts are in seats.
I said after the Kikuchi trade that we had officially entered 2005. This core and whatever pieces they patch together will compete for another 3-5 years before the inevitable sets in.
BadAggie
AG
Fitting end to this season. Score 3 runs total in 2 games, lots of LOB, Framber wobbly and bullpen chokes after an excellent start in game 2.

Pressly is just not it anymore.

Not surprised this happened in a short series. The team should've locked up a WC bye but for that dreadful start to the season, and even after that they had plenty of opportunities.

Should be an interesting offseason.

BayAg_14
I believe this is the end of the dynasty. Hell of a run. See yall for spring training.
Satellite of Love
Frok said:

Ag_07 said:

At least now we have the Texans huh?

Texans may not be off to a great start but they're still good. I'll be watching.

Maybe they should rework the batter's eye again. Maybe this will finally help them see the ball.
jkag89
RO519 said:

Well that season wasn't very fun...
I enjoyed the fight of this team in the regular season. On the other hand, that will get forgotten due these two games.

Then again, we've become spoiled.
wangus12
AG
Bring back Dusty
Chef Elko
AG
1876er said:

TexAgs1992 said:

Your Mom And Them said:

1876er said:

Trading Tucker would be monumentally dumb. The AL West is still the Astro's to lose next year. He's one of the top players in the league. You aren't going to get an equivalent player for him.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat.
Ditto. Replenish the farm and set yourself up for 2-3 years down the road.

This team with Tucker is still a contender next year. With prospects, you are giving up on the year.
Tucker was a non factor this season
agintex
If this is the end...it makes that 2019 WS hurt so much more.

3 banners instead of 2 would have been so much sweeter.
RED AG 98
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Yeah, they do. I'm not scared and neither should the Astros be. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer not to face one of the better teams of the last few months with a legit ace and a super motivated skipper in a short series given the choice (which clearly I don't have).
Confidence is a helluva drug. Detroit has and has all 2nd half. In spades.
W
AG
tjack16 said:

You can say what you want about making it to ALCS game 7 last year but let's be honest… this was back to back very flawed teams.

90-72
88-73

We got a very favorable ALDS matchup last year and then lost an ALCS we should have won. This year we had to scratch and claw our way to winning the clearly worst division in baseball.

Something changed after the 2022 World Series and I don't know what it is.
I think the problem is the batting order

the Astros have lost a lot of offensive talent in the past 3 years -- Correa, Brantley, Yuli, et al

way, way, way too many bad hitters have gotten way too many at-bats the past 2 seasons

Jake, Dubon, Machete, Julks, all the Sugarland guys, and so forth

the lineup used to be 6 or 7 hitters deep. Now it's 4 or 5 deep. And that is the difference between 90 wins and 100
BadAggie
AG
FO needs to moneyball and find some higher OBP guys for this lineup, especially for the 789
Ciboag96
Look at the bright side. We might get gifted a 2025 season thread without a ****ing Staff Warning label
CFTXAG10
AG
See yall on the offseason thread. As painful as this season was and how it ended I still enjoyed the discussion here as always. Go Stros!
Big Al 1992
AG
Will be cheering for Detroit and AJ the rest of the way. Hope they get a chance to crush Yankee dreams.
Kraft Punk
Serves us right for firing hinch

Stupidest ****ing decision ever
W
AG
yes, in the final analysis...

the Astros paid a dear price for their April sins

they got forced into the wildcard series
f1ghtintexasaggie
wangus12 said:

Bring back Dusty

You shut your mouth.

jk...kinda
Faustus
Ugly end. Count me as being down for one more run next year before the window closes with Framber and Tucker leaving.

Altuve has been a negative in the field for a while, and his bat suffered through his first sub .800 OPS in a long time while crushing his strikeout record with a corresponding power drop. His 5 year extension starts next season.

Take your shot next year and the lumps down the road, because they're coming regardless of whether we wave the white flag next season by trading away our good players. We can root for Altuve's 3000 march through the lean years and his decline. A couple of prospects for Tucker won't make those teams better than ours next season.
Wabs
AG
Looking like 3 of the final 4 in the AL will be from the AL Central. Baseball, man. Baseball.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You guys were fun but I'm glad this season is over. See y'all next year!
htxag09
AG
Chef Elko said:

1876er said:

TexAgs1992 said:

Your Mom And Them said:

1876er said:

Trading Tucker would be monumentally dumb. The AL West is still the Astro's to lose next year. He's one of the top players in the league. You aren't going to get an equivalent player for him.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat.
Ditto. Replenish the farm and set yourself up for 2-3 years down the road.

This team with Tucker is still a contender next year. With prospects, you are giving up on the year.
Tucker was a non factor this season

Uh Tucker is in the top 40 in WAR and second on the Astros for the year and he missed what felt like half the season….
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Top 3 in the lineup were 0 for 9. Not one d@mn hit.

Blow it up and start over.
Chef Elko
AG
agintex said:

If this is the end...it makes that 2019 WS hurt so much more.

3 banners instead of 2 would have been so much sweeter.
Probably once a week I think of 2019. It was Greinke's destiny to win that game and Hinch blew it.
Topher17
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

tjack16 said:

You can say what you want about making it to ALCS game 7 last year but let's be honest… this was back to back very flawed teams.

90-72
88-73

We got a very favorable ALDS matchup last year and then lost an ALCS we should have won. This year we had to scratch and claw our way to winning the clearly worst division in baseball.

Something changed after the 2022 World Series and I don't know what it is.

We officially pivoted from smart analytical approach in the front office, not overpaying for guys who wanted a fortune and trading away all of our best prospects every year. Bringing back Verlander was a Drayton type move. Signing Abreu was a Drayton type of move. Signing Hader was a Drayton type of move. We aren't turning over rocks and finding under utilized talent. We are overpaying for talent that has already peaked.

Luckily, we have tons of quality starters and plenty of depth there. But the lineup is aging and signing guys like Tuck and Bregman is going to cost more in the long term than keeping the status quo is going to reward.

We have guys like Caratini starting in the playoffs. Astros teams of the past would have him doing nothing more than pinch hitting. But we failed to develop and keep top farm pieces and overspent for an aging Abreu who forced us into this mess.

Kikuchi was a huge surprise, but I still wouldn't do the trade. Because we have no farm now. And we don't need him next year. We wasted multiple prospects for a sweep in the wild card round.
Spot on.
W
AG
one injury that flew under the radar...

the loss of Gamel in mid-September

he had the high OBP via walks

.377 OBP with the 'stros
iBrad
AG
Kraft Punk said:

Serves us right for firing hinch

Stupidest ****ing decision ever

Let's not forget that Hinch cost us the 2019 World Series. We also made two without him, winning one. He's a good manager, but he wasn't the reason for our success.
safety guy
AG
That was some 1997, 1998, 1999 level Astros in these 2 games. Nothing close to a key hit.
Beau Holder
AG
See you guys on the offseason thread. Hopefully it's full of consequential news or I'll also see you guys sooner than later on the next offseason thread.
agdaddy04
AG
75AG said:

Dude, window has closed. Too many holes to fill. You don't win championships with Caratini, Dubon, Jake, and Chaz.

We're entering a decade of mediocre baseball

This is so ****ing pathetic it's not even funny. We won a title with a few of those guys already, and Caratini had a better stick than Maldy.
Beau Holder
AG
safety guy said:

That was some 1997, 1998, 1999 level Astros in these 2 games. Nothing close to a key hit.

Spent two months saying this is who they were and this is how it would end. Lo and behold.
fullback44
AG
MAROON said:

fullback44 said:

GoAgs11 said:

The run is over

Neah… get all our starting pitchers back and we are about to make another run.. too many guys hurt this year
who will play 1st and 3rd? We still have a huge offensive hole in CF. And we have bullpen issues that need addressing.

Gonna have to find someone for those spots .. open the check book
W
AG
we will slice and dice the Kikuchi trade in the offseason

Dana won the battle but lost the war

Kikuchi pitched once every 5 days

but what about the 4 days inbetween?

needed help there too
Furlock Bones
AG
Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.
Ags #1
AG
huh? We dont have much salary flexibilty at all.
First Page Last Page
Page 1893 of 1900

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.