***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,454,884 Views | 62532 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd be interested to know management's thoughts on Matthews at SS. If we resign Bregman, could he take over for Pena at some point? Peña's bat is poor and his glove has been trending down for 2 years now. Dunno what his trade value is but he's certainly not a core piece.
Booma94
AG
Beau Holder said:

All online as far as I know. Go to the Houston Astros Ticket Exchange Facebook group and look around/inquire there before you buy through the app, to avoid fees.
Second for this.

I got tickets on Saturday for less than face value with no charges. I got a Gallagher Club pass, then got a game ticket. There are at least 2 Astros Ticket Exchange groups on FB. The one I used was "Houston Astros Ticket Marketplace- Buy & Sell (and Rodeo Houston)".

They do a good job of policing the group to weed out scammers.
W
AG
Bryce Miller on the mound for the Mariners tonight

the Astros had success against him back in May

but he's been outstanding since the all-star break

2.10 ERA in 64 innings thru 11 starts
Wabs
AG
W said:

Bryce Miller on the mound for the Mariners tonight

the Astros had success against him back in May

but he's been outstanding since the all-star break

2.10 ERA in 64 innings thru 11 starts
Gig'em Bryce!

BTHO Bryce tonight!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Prosperdick said:

bearkatag15 said:

You know Seattle is praying he's out all 3 games (hell, for the season) the way he's terrorized them in the past.
if the Mariners had brainx, they would IBB Yordan all 3 games, every at bat.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

I'd be interested to know management's thoughts on Matthews at SS. If we resign Bregman, could he take over for Pena at some point? Peña's bat is poor and his glove has been trending down for 2 years now. Dunno what his trade value is but he's certainly not a core piece.
I think calling his bat poor is kind of silly. He's been a consistent league average player his entire career.

If we look at SS over the last 3 seasons (min 900PA) 35 players have played a fair amount of SS (not all everyday players). Pena ranks 18th in wRC+ at 101. Between Pena at 101 there is very little difference between CJ Abrams (23rd - 93) & Willie Adames (11th - 108). It's similar on defense. Pena ranks 20th in FRV(min 1500 innings) at +4. If you +/- 6 it covers from 10th to 26th.

Matthews would have to look like a sure thing to be top 10 on offense & defense or Pena would have to see a major decline. Do you throw out your veteran with a few more years of control for a rookie you hope is just as good? I doubt it.

txags92
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Prosperdick said:

bearkatag15 said:

You know Seattle is praying he's out all 3 games (hell, for the season) the way he's terrorized them in the past.
If they were really smart, they would intentionally walk him to 2B. By now it is clear that having a RISP is kryptonite for our hitters.
The Porkchop Express
AG
txags92 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Prosperdick said:

bearkatag15 said:

If they were really smart, they would intentionally walk him to 2B. By now it is clear that having a RISP is kryptonite for our hitters.
When I was in high school, Alvin's coach intentionally walked Jose Cruz Jr. with two outs in the top of the first inning with the bases loaded. If I were the Mariners, I'd give Yordan similar treatment.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

MaxPower said:

I think calling his bat poor is kind of silly. He's been a consistent league average player his entire career.

If we look at SS over the last 3 seasons (min 900PA) 35 players have played a fair amount of SS (not all everyday players). Pena ranks 18th in wRC+ at 101. Between Pena at 101 there is very little difference between CJ Abrams (23rd - 93) & Willie Adames (11th - 108). It's similar on defense. Pena ranks 20th in FRV(min 1500 innings) at +4. If you +/- 6 it covers from 10th to 26th.

Matthews would have to look like a sure thing to be top 10 on offense & defense or Pena would have to see a major decline. Do you throw out your veteran with a few more years of control for a rookie you hope is just as good? I doubt it.

To be clear, I wouldn't give Matthews the job, it's more of a long term question. Could that be midseason next year or the 2025-2026 offseason? I dunno the exact timeline, it's more of a question of how Matthews fits in the team's future if Bregman comes back.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

MaxPower said:

To be clear, I wouldn't give Matthews the job, it's more of a long term question. Could that be midseason next year or the 2025-2026 offseason? I dunno the exact timeline, it's more of a question of how Matthews fits in the team's future if Bregman comes back.

It probably depends on the terms we get Bregman back. I am still holding out hope for a short term opt out type deal because the market doesn't give him what he wants. This would be ideal because it gives Matthews a year before he's asked to contribute.

I think we've seen enough of Pena to know what he is. He's made some changes but the ultimate results are of a similar level. I think we'd be willing to upgrade, but it would have to make sense.

Ketch mentioned CF as a potential spot for Matthews as well. He's athletic enough. He's still mostly getting starts at SS with an occasional 3B and even 2B.
Ag_07
AG
Assuming we win one from SEA and wrap up this division before the weekend it'll be interesting to see how Joe and the staff go about the final 3 games.

It'll be intersting how they balance rest vs staying sharp especially if we win tonight or tomorrow.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

Assuming we win one from SEA and wrap up this division before the weekend it'll be interesting to see how Joe and the staff go about the final 3 games.

Jose Abreu resigned and pitches all 3 games.
Phrasing
AG
Ag_07 said:

It'll be intersting how they balance rest vs staying sharp especially if we win tonight or tomorrow.
Lots of bubble wrap hopefully
All I do is Nguyen
Kinda sad really

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hornbeck
AG
One of my coworkers is a huge A's fan. Had the chance to go out there with him earlier this year for a work trip, and it's just really sad. The owner literally bought more land, and needed the city to provide infrastructure, they just could not do it. I was hoping they'd move to San Antonio / Austin, but Vegas is good for their fan base.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Kinda sad really

Beat40
Ag_07 said:

I imagine it will be a combination of a couple of guys each getting a day off with maybe getting 2-3 ABs or 5ish innings.

But, definitely will a good problem to work through if they do their job in these next three games.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hornbeck said:

One of my coworkers is a huge A's fan. Had the chance to go out there with him earlier this year for a work trip, and it's just really sad. The owner literally bought more land, and needed the city to provide infrastructure, they just could not do it. I was hoping they'd move to San Antonio / Austin, but Vegas is good for their fan base.

I am confident that the sips would fight to the death to keep any professional sports team from coming to town. They want to be the only show in Austin.
Hornbeck
AG
I think they will as well, but I also think it's just a matter of time. The population reaches critical mass of Californians, and they don't have any particular love for the sips.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MAROON
AG
no Yordan as mostly expected
dcaggie04
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Hornbeck said:

I am confident that the sips would fight to the death to keep any professional sports team from coming to town. They want to be the only show in Austin.

An MLS team has already been in Austin for 3 years now. So that train of not letting professional teams coming to town has already derailed.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
dcaggie04 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Hornbeck said:

An MLS team has already been in Austin for 3 years now. So that train of not letting professional teams coming to town has already derailed.

I really meant one of the major market sports like NFL, MLB, or NBA.
MAROON
AG
W
AG
regarding Pena...

Dana needs to build a roster in the offseason...such that Pena can hit 8th in the lineup

then his .715 OPS with 45 x-base hits is fine -- just fine

but in the 5-hole or 6-hole...his numbers don't work
Faustus
All I do is Nguyen said:

Kinda sad really

I thought reminding the fans that their team was poached from Kansas City (which itself poached the team from Philadelphia) before being lured to Vegas was a nice touch.
W
AG
the owners of the A's have nothing to apologize for

the city has declined in the past 20 years in many, many ways
Hornbeck
AG
You know it's bad when In N Out leaves….
Farmer1906
AG
League avg in the 6-7 hole is .690-.691. Pena there is kind of nice. That is where he should be if we are fully healthy.

OPS+ By Lineup Position (Astros ideal lineup)
1 - 108 (Altuve - 126)
2 - 112 (Alvarez - 171)
3 - 118 (Tucker - 184)
4 - 107 (Bregman - 115)
5 - 102 (Diaz - 120)
6 - 94 (Caratini - 116)
7 - 94 (Pena - 106)
8 - 85 (Meyers - 87)
9 - 75 (Dubon - 87)
Beau Holder
AG
W said:

the owners of the A's have nothing to apologize for

the city has declined in the past 20 years in many, many ways

Three teams gone and the city is the common denominator, but very online fans are convinced it's all Fisher's fault.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

League avg in the 6-7 hole is .690-.691. Pena there is kind of nice. That is where he should be if we are fully healthy.

OPS+ By Lineup Position (Astros ideal lineup)
1 - 108 (Altuve - 126)
2 - 112 (Alvarez - 171)
3 - 118 (Tucker - 184)
4 - 107 (Bregman - 115)
5 - 102 (Diaz - 120)
6 - 94 (Caratini - 116)
7 - 94 (Pena - 106)
8 - 85 (Meyers - 87)
9 - 75 (Dubon - 87)
Hating on Pena is the new thing.

What do you know - Pena is batting 7th today...

It's there were injuries or something that required him to bat 5th/6th most of this season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Faustus said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Kinda sad really

I thought reminding the fans that their team was poached from Kansas City (which itself poached the team from Philadelphia) before being lured to Vegas was a nice touch.
How's he going to diss the Bash Brothers in that letter, bro?

AggieJ2002
AG
My daughter will be at UC Davis in Sept 2025, so I for one am looking forward to going to some A's games up in Sacramento. Going to be cool to see Major Leaguers in such an intimate environment.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

oh no...not the MRI...
First Page Last Page
Page 1757 of 1787

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.