***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,458,606 Views | 62587 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by W
Wildmen06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
well judging by out past seaons playoff times, it will be whatever the worst timeslot is.
Prosperdick
AG
agproducer said:

Still love George.

From the Yusei article:

Quote:

Before Yusei Kikuchi left Toronto last month, George Springer made him a promise. Springer spent his first six seasons playing in the city and for the club that just acquired Kikuchi. "You're going to love it," Springer told his now-former Blue Jays teammate.

The note Ketch provided that Yusei is not driven by money and things like above make me hopeful that we could somehow retain him despite the fact that he's represented by Satan. At the end of the day Boras still has to do what his client asks him to do.

We go on a long run here in the playoffs who knows, maybe he's willing to take less to enjoy playing for pennants and in front of packed houses.
Farmer1906
AG
Altuve Leaderboard Tracker

Hits - 2229
179th All Time
Next Up:
  • Fred Tenney 2231
  • Willie Stargell* 2234
  • Mike Schmidt* 2234
  • John Olerud 2239
  • Edgar Martiniez* 2248

20th All Time 2B
Next Up:
  • Bid McPhee* 2250
  • Jimmy Dykes 2256
  • Billy Herman* 2345
  • Lou Whitaker 2369
  • Ryne Sanberg* 2386

2nd Active
  • Freddie Freeman 2264

Stolen Bases - 315
155th All Time
Next Up:
  • Brady Anderson 315
  • Hans Lobert 316
  • Jose Cruz 317
  • Billy Shindle 318
  • Larry Bowa 318
  • Tony Gwynn* 319

27th All Time 2B
Next Up:
  • Miller Huggins 324
  • Johnny Evers 324
  • Kid Gleason 328
  • Hub Collins 335
  • Dee Strange-Gordon 336

2nd Active
  • Starling Marte 354

WAR - 57.9
134th All Time
Next Up
  • Joey Votto 57.9
  • Tony Perez* 58.9
  • Keith Hernandez 59.4
  • Andre Dawson* 59.5
  • Bobby Abreu 59.7
  • Jackie Robinson* 59.9
  • Dave Winfield* 59.9
  • Mookie Betts 59.9

18th All Time 2B
Next Up:
  • Jackie Robinson* 59.9
  • Joe Gordon* 60.4
  • Ryne Sanberg* 60.4
  • Chase Utley 61.5
  • Willie Randolph 62.0

4th Active
  • Mookie Betts 59.9
  • Freddie Freeman 61.2
  • Mike Trout 85.7

*HOFer
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick said:

agproducer said:

Still love George.

From the Yusei article:

Quote:

Before Yusei Kikuchi left Toronto last month, George Springer made him a promise. Springer spent his first six seasons playing in the city and for the club that just acquired Kikuchi. "You're going to love it," Springer told his now-former Blue Jays teammate.

The note Ketch provided that Yusei is not driven by money and things like above make me hopeful that we could somehow retain him despite the fact that he's represented by Satan. At the end of the day Boras still has to do what his client asks him to do.

We go on a long run here in the playoffs who knows, maybe he's willing to take less to enjoy playing for pennants and in front of packed houses.
Does he need to take less to stay here? Why not pay him around market value? He's not going to break the bank.

Edit:
Spotrac has his market value at 1/13.5 M

In the past, he signed a 3/43 M & 3/36 M deals.

I would think something along the lines of 1/17 M with a team option of 1/13 M in 2026.
MaxPower
I'd guess he gets around 3 years, $60M. I'd do something around that. Bregman I think is looking at 6, $150M, which I think is too rich for our blood. I just don't know what this team looks like offensively in 2026 if you lose Bregman and Tucker, but I can't imagine it's pretty. Pitching should be rock star though.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

I'd guess he gets around 3 years, $60M. I'd do something around that. Bregman I think is looking at 6, $150M, which I think is too rich for our blood. I just don't know what this team looks like offensively in 2026 if you lose Bregman and Tucker, but I can't imagine it's pretty. Pitching should be rock star though.
3/60 for a 34-year-old with a 4+ ERA is kind of wild.

Active pitchers that signed deals at 34 or older.

Albert Suarez 1/740 K
Alex Cobb 2/20 M
Chris Sale 2/38 M
Seth Lugo 3/45 M
Mikes Mikolas 3/55.7 M
Sonny Gray 3/75 M
Jacob deGrom 5/185 M

Clayton Kershaw 2/10 M

Lance Lynn 1/11 M
Kyle Gibson 1/13 M
Yu Darvish 6/108 M

Wade Miley 1/8.5 M
Max Scherzer 3/130 M

Zack Greinke 1/8.5M
Charlie Morton 1/20 M
Justin Verlander 2/86.6 M

Mathguy64
AG
We have 3 guys not named LMJ coming back next year. Plus France. So I guess 4.

Either it's move someone(s) who is cheap and paid for to sign Kikuchi or don't sign him.

We are going to have a surplus of SP. Even not resigning JV we are still going to have a surplus.
txags92
AG
MaxPower said:

Lets sign Ted to a deal and never have to find out.
tjack16
AG
With Kikuchi I'd go 3 years 39 M with that third year as a mutual option.

That way if he isn't good we are only on the hook for 2 years and not a 3rd like with Abreu and Montero
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Either it's move someone(s) who is cheap and paid for to sign Kikuchi or don't sign him.

We are going to have a surplus of SP. Even not resigning JV we are still going to have a surplus.
Back for 2025
Framber
Brown
Blanco
Spaghetti

Back from Injury
Garica
McCullers hopefully

Potentially back from Injury (2nd half)
Javier
Urquidy - I assume we release him
France

In my mind, we need to add at least 1 SP for 2025.
Beat40
I know most don't like Jomboy on this thread, but this is a very good video. At least I liked it.

Anastasia Beaverhaven
Does anyone have 2 tickets to tonight's game they are willing to part with? I'm looking to take my Mom to the game tonight.
Texaggie7nine
I remember watching that a few weeks ago and thinking "how many catchers are going to be getting beaned in the head with a bat now trying to improve their calls.
Prosperdick
AG
tjack16 said:

That way if he isn't good we are only on the hook for 2 years and not a 3rd like with Abreu and Montero
At least we know his age is accurate...well, I've never heard of Japanese players fudging their age but I suppose it could happen (although I doubt it).
Texaggie7nine
Anastasia Beaverhaven said:

Does anyone have 2 tickets to tonight's game they are willing to part with? I'm looking to take my Mom to the game tonight.
Seatgeek has a lot available at a good price for tonight.
7nine
W
AG
do the Astros have the payroll space...

to take on a new $15 MM pitcher for next year?

and also fix 1B and CF
MaxPower
Kooch will be 33 to start next season. Lugo was 34 to start this season so that's the closest comp. Kikuchi has a longer track record of being able to start and Lugo has an injury history but I guess you could see that as a negative (e.g. Lugo has less wear and tear). Bassit at 34 got 3 years, $63M.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

and also fix 1B and CF
Depends on Crane. We'll have around 20-25 M before we reach the luxury from my estimates.
Beat40
Texaggie7nine said:

I remember watching that a few weeks ago and thinking "how many catchers are going to be getting beaned in the head with a bat now trying to improve their calls.
Probably not many, but it'd be tempting to lengthen my swing on a pitch or two on a higher ball if I know the catcher we're playing uses this approach to try to catch a glove.
Prosperdick
AG
Beat40 said:

I know most don't like Jomboy on this thread, but this is a very good video. At least I liked it.

I wonder how advanced we are at "stealing strikes" with catcher positioning. I'm still waiting for him to breakdown shoegate with Altuve.
Beau Holder
AG
Prosperdick said:

tjack16 said:

At least we know his age is accurate...well, I've never heard of Japanese players fudging their age but I suppose it could happen (although I doubt it).

Japanese players are much more known quantities. They emerge as top prospects in high school where baseball there is treated like football here and the Koshien tournament is the premier athletic event in the country. Then they play in NPB and by the time they come to MLB, their career arcs (and age and other background identifiers like how much mileage is on their arm) are well tracked.
bobcat90
AG
Are you able to buy Astros tix at the box office or is it completely digital now? Wanting to avoid the crazy fees that mlb.com and other websites charge.
Beau Holder
AG
All online as far as I know. Go to the Houston Astros Ticket Exchange Facebook group and look around/inquire there before you buy through the app, to avoid fees.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

To be fair we were supposed to have a surplus this year and look how that worked out
07ag
AG
bobcat90 said:

Are you able to buy Astros tix at the box office or is it completely digital now? Wanting to avoid the crazy fees that mlb.com and other websites charge.
https://www.mlb.com/astros/ballpark/information/guide#b-content

BOX OFFICE

The Minute Maid Park Box Office is digital. You will no longer be able to purchase hard copy tickets on site. Text 'Buy' to 26099 to purchase your tickets or scan the QR code at the box office windows. You will be able to access your tickets through your smart phone on the MLB Ballpark app.
https://ts.la/eric59704
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Mathguy64 said:

To be fair we were supposed to have a surplus this year and look how that worked out

We had about as bad of luck as one could expect and still have the deepest rotation in the postseason.
MaxPower
We only have one lefty so that's where I'd say Kooch makes sense. After Framber leaves we will have none. He can also be a weapon out of the pen in a playoff series if you have enough SP. Plus it's much easier to trade SP because everyone needs one. If you need to trade a position player you have to find a team that needs that spot.
Beau Holder
AG
Wish we'd traded Urquidy when we should've.
Hornbeck
AG
Beau Holder said:

Wish we'd traded Urquidy when we should've.

Agreed. I like him, but thought we could do better.
SW-14
AG
No kidding. With the way pitchers are getting hurt now I don't think it's possible to have a real surplus.
Faustus
W said:

and also fix 1B and CF

We're going to have to fix 3b too - either by paying Bregman or someone else unless we're planning on promoting from within which probably means nothing good as far as bat value.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
txags92
AG
Faustus said:

W said:

and also fix 1B and CF

We're going to have to fix 3b too - either by paying Bregman or someone else unless we're planning on promoting from within which probably means nothing good as far as bat value.
If the organization thinks Mathews is the future at 3B, and might be coming up early to middle next year, then you just need a temporary patch for that spot, not an expensive replacement.
Beau Holder
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Somewhere, Dusty just felt a souring of his day.
First Page Last Page
Page 1756 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.