***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,342,379 Views | 60851 Replies | Last: 49 min ago by JB!98
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tjack16 said:

Ag_07 said:

Padres are my pick for the NL.

They're damn good. Lot of tough outs and nice arms.

That stadium looks like a hard place to play when it's rockin.

I'm picking rematches of the 2022 LCS

Padres vs Phillies
Yankees vs Astros

Unfortunately I think both of those series would not be repeat results of 2022 though
So an Astros Padres world series?? I'm down
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
The Porkchop Express
AG
Just wanted to add on to the thanks to Julio Rodriguez for not only going through a season-long downgrade of his skill set that takes him from "I'm terrified of this guy" to "who cares if he's up" but also being a total moron and dropping our magic number to 6. Kudos to the NY Post for this great shot, which looks like someone reversed the image of a guy getting picked off first.

tjack16
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

tjack16 said:

Ag_07 said:

Padres are my pick for the NL.

They're damn good. Lot of tough outs and nice arms.

That stadium looks like a hard place to play when it's rockin.

I'm picking rematches of the 2022 LCS

Padres vs Phillies
Yankees vs Astros

Unfortunately I think both of those series would not be repeat results of 2022 though
So an Astros Padres world series?? I'm down

That's my pick. But I don't think we'd sweep the Yankees… it would be a 6/7 gamer for sure

The dark horse AL team to me though is KC if their pitching stays good
Prosperdick
AG
CatD11Ag said:

Wow - what a screwup by J-Rod

"Oh what a happenstance!" Did the announcer really say that?
Prosperdick
AG
The D said:

Mariners lose
They should have worn their city connect jerseys...they only have themselves to blame.
Mathguy64
AG
So in the last 3 games the Mariners have tried stealing home with bases loaded and a 3-0 count and they have been picked off 3B on a K in Manfredball.

Thats some creative tootblaning. If we did that there would be at least 5 permanbans here.
Ag_07
AG
Stuff like this is why no one ever takes the Mariners seriously.

Whether it's wearing costumes to the games, their manager bringing in a trash pitcher who was demoted to get his first ever save in the ALDS against Yordan, or their star player getting picked off 3rd base in extra innings of a must win game.

They always find a way to trip on their own dicks
AustinCountyAg
I didn't even knew they had dicks to begin with?
Ag_07
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Well they had one huge one managing their team for years.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Always a great time to bring back this stat: the mariners have had the same amount of ruptured testicle injuries in 45 years as they have playoff appearances: 5.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

As well as their pitching coach.
Jackal99
AG
Ag_07 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Cue Porkchop's Scott Servais story coming up...
TarponChaser
Jackal99 said:

Ag_07 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Cue Porkchop's Scott Servais story coming up...

tangent on this...

...I was going to post a gif of the Seinfeld "I despise Keith Hernandez" but every damn google image that pops up is from a site called Yarn. And Yarn never freaking works. The page just never loads. Doesn't matter if I'm on by laptop or or phone or ipad. Anybody else have that issue?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Quote:

"I don't see any chances of him leaving," Altuve said this week. "That might be just me. I really think that, at the end of the season, our front office people, GM and ownership (are) going to get a deal done for him. I don't think I'm sure that we are not only a better team with him, but we are a better organization with him. We really need to make it happen."

Quote:

"Words can't really describe what he means to this clubhouse," center fielder Jake Meyers said. "As far as (what) one guy can do for a team, he does it across the board for position players, pitchers, everyone. On the field, it shows, but off the field, the day to day stuff he does for the club to help the team win in any way is just remarkable."

Altuve remains a realist. No player has been in this organization longer or is more familiar with its procedures. Altuve acknowledged "it's not like I'm confident" the Astros will retain Bregman. None of the organization's actions across the past eight years should prompt any belief.

"Maybe it's just that I don't want to see it happen, so I don't think about it," Altuve said.

"I don't have control, but if I could, I would just pay Breggy whatever he wants. His professionalism, his desire to win and his desire to get better at the stage he is he's a superstar that's really hard to find. You don't find a lot of guys trying to get better like he does every single year, every single day. We really need to reward guys like him."
Wabs
AG
Breggy is my favorite all-time Astro. Altuve 2nd and Bill Doran 3rd.

Would love to see him stay in Houston, but man it's really risky offering him a huge/long contract. I know there is slim chance, but maybe a contract with some club options after 2-3 years?
cc10106
Alex's teammates helping him get the bag, even if it (likely) doesn't come from Crane.
Prosperdick
AG
Quote:

I don't have control, but if I could, I would just pay Breggy whatever he wants.
Scott Boras has entered the chat.
Farmer1906
AG
As weird as this sounds, I want to keep Bregman more now after a 'meh' season than I did in the offseason after a strong year. I think he's an important piece to the clubhouse, plays a position where we don't have someone ready to replace him, and can probably be had for less than other big-name guys who have left (Springer, Correa, JV).

His 3-year WAR projection before this year was 4.7, 3.6, 3.0. He fell about 1 full WAR short of the 4.7 projection. If he's only a mid to low 3 WAR player for the next 4 years, I think I'd offer him something like that at 4/90. That is something we can afford. If we assume no more JV, Urquidy, Kikuchi, Graveman, Neris, & Heyward, but Pressly stays then we'll have around 23 M to play with before entering the luxury tax.

edit: I don't think signing Bregman would stop us from signing Tucker if we were willing. After 2025 we're going to get 75-80 M off the books.
texpert68
AG
Does anyone want to resign Bregman if that officially closes the door on Tucker?
Farmer1906
AG
texpert68 said:

Does anyone want to resign Bregman if that officially closes the door on Tucker?
Hah - just edited my post to talk about that.

No, you don't keep Bregman if it means you stop trying to sign Tucker. Assuming you're a very serious contender for him.
Mathguy64
AG
I don't think he takes 4/90. Or more correctly Boras tells him that he can get more. And I suspect someone will offer him Matt Chapman money.
Prosperdick
AG
We really need to take 3 of 4 from the Angels because the rangerettes are going to be of zero help so we need to be at least 5 games up when we host the seamen.
tjack16
AG
It would be really nice to clinch against Seattle on the first game of that series. Just totally kill their spirits
Wabs
AG
Prosperdick said:

We really need to take 3 of 4 from the Angels because the rangerettes are going to be of zero help so we need to be at least 5 games up when we host the seamen.
It seems like every day it's "today is huge", but Yanks beat Seattle this afternoon and we beat LAA tonight and I'm feeling very good.
All I do is Nguyen
Anyone heard from 2015? He kind of disappeared after the trade deadline
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I don't think he takes 4/90. Or more correctly Boras tells him that he can get more. And I suspect someone will offer him Matt Chapman money.
4/90 is just something I am throwing about there. It's probably about market value per his projected WAR. Maybe he wants a prove-it deal and we offer 3/75 with an opt-out after year 1. Maybe we stretch it out a little and give him 6/110 to help get the AAV down and get him over the 100 M mark.

I just don't see it this offseason. Everyone thought Snell, Monty, & Belli were getting paid bigly, they all had to settle. I think Chapman was more of a special case where SF fell in love with him after he was there playing one of his best seasons.

Who are the contenders for him?
  • NY - going to break the bank on Soto, have Jazz to help this INF issues
  • BOS - they need left side help, but they are handing out massive contracts to FA anymore
  • DET - maybe a Hinch reunion? They aren't handing out big contracts.
  • SEA - will the outbid us? I can't see it.

We're talking about a guy with this statline:
.254 BA
.312 OBP
.437 SLG
.749 OPS

113 wRC+

23 HR
67 RBI

Above Avg, but bordering on just good. Not close to great.

Is this guy going to get as much as the one below him?

The Porkchop Express
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Anyone heard from 2015? He kind of disappeared after the trade deadline
How odd, first I thought he got a ban, but I remember seeing him on the Texans' thread right before the first game.

he's only posted 4-5 times in the last month. He doesn't have stars so can't PM him unfortunately.
Prosperdick
AG
Wabs said:

Prosperdick said:

It seems like every day it's "today is huge", but Yanks beat Seattle this afternoon and we beat LAA tonight and I'm feeling very good.

If we go 6 up with 9 to play I completely agree. I have a feeling Seattle wins today and hopefully we can keep it at 5.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Ag_07 said:

Whether it's wearing costumes to the games, their manager bringing in a trash pitcher who was demoted to get his first ever save in the ALDS against Yordan, or their star player getting picked off 3rd base in extra innings of a must win game.

Wasn't Robbie ray a cy young candidate that season?
Farmer1906
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Ag_07 said:

Wasn't Robbie ray a cy young candidate that season?

He won the Cy the year before. He had a good, not great season in 2022.
AustinCountyAg
Mathguy64 said:

I think Bregman will have to decide between taking less money, and staying in Houston and most likely winning and continuing what he's been able to do since he got called up. OR possibly taking the route of Springer and Correa and playing in purgatory.

Part of me can see him taking less, because he seems like the kind of guy who hates losing, but at the same time being married with a child now I can see him going for the $.

Either way, I want Tuck way the hell more than I want Bregman.
heavens11
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Quote:

"I don't see any chances of him leaving," Altuve said this week. "That might be just me. I really think that, at the end of the season, our front office people, GM and ownership (are) going to get a deal done for him. I don't think I'm sure that we are not only a better team with him, but we are a better organization with him. We really need to make it happen."

Quote:

"Words can't really describe what he means to this clubhouse," center fielder Jake Meyers said. "As far as (what) one guy can do for a team, he does it across the board for position players, pitchers, everyone. On the field, it shows, but off the field, the day to day stuff he does for the club to help the team win in any way is just remarkable."

Altuve remains a realist. No player has been in this organization longer or is more familiar with its procedures. Altuve acknowledged "it's not like I'm confident" the Astros will retain Bregman. None of the organization's actions across the past eight years should prompt any belief.

"Maybe it's just that I don't want to see it happen, so I don't think about it," Altuve said.

"I don't have control, but if I could, I would just pay Breggy whatever he wants. His professionalism, his desire to win and his desire to get better at the stage he is he's a superstar that's really hard to find. You don't find a lot of guys trying to get better like he does every single year, every single day. We really need to reward guys like him."

Try? There is no try… #masterYoda

No doubt he's a hard worker but he is not better offensively now than he was early in his career and that is likely to continue to slide. His value as a teammate I think is unquestionable, as was George and Carlos and Yuli, and … I always hope the Astros can hold on to their home grown stars but they have been fairly disciplined (clearly some notable exceptions in Monterey, a washed up Abreau) in not overpaying for long term deals for aging stars
Ag_07
AG
No. IIRC he had an up and down season and struggled down the stretch and was relegated to the BP for the playoffs.

Never had a save and may have been his first career appearance out of the pen to finish that game off.

My buddy who's a big Mariners fan was livid that he was called on. They did not trust him for anything much less coming in at that time to face that guy.
Hornbeck
AG
One thing that is going to play into the Bregman deal is the condition of his throwing elbow. From what I've heard, it's bone spurs in his elbow. Hopefully he can get that repaired, and be right back at it next year, but it could turn into a LMJ or an Uncle Mike type situation. If I'm Dana, short term is the only thing I'd do.
W
AG
yep, the "locking up your core" phenomenon that started 5 years ago or so...

is taking on water as more long-term signed players...turn out to be very average or injury-prone or both

First Page Last Page
Page 1718 of 1739

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.