***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,361,562 Views | 61021 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by W
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
last call for the 'stros
Faustus
We have them right where we don't want them.
Beau Holder
AG
Shocked to see them go down meekly and silently in the 9th.
W
AG
did Jake just swing on a 2-0 count...to end the game...when the Astros needed a baserunner?
fullback44
AG
Well at least we have Brown and Valdez the next 2 nights, we should win the next 2
Faustus
The 9th inning vexes me when we're trailing.
W
AG
the Padres will be a nightmare for the Phillies or Dodgers

beware getting the #1 seed in the NL
CatD11Ag
AG
Been to a bunch of games there. What do you mean by "interesting places to get a ticket"?
Who are you seeing - A's, Nats or Reds?
Should be easy to get a ticket, either on-line or buy one outside the park. I would buy ahead and get one behind one of the dugouts. The best seat I've had was behind the dugout 3B line (home side).
We were able to really take in Wrigley from this perspective.
Cubs beat the Brewers that day. I am no Cubs fan but it was fun hearing them sing "Go Cubs Go" after the win and a day game early fall was beautiful weather and atmosphere. The group hit a bar just outside Wrigley after the game and we had a great time.

Make sure you walk around Wrigley and take in the whole place. If you drink beer, go get one Old Style too. AB has the distribution rights at Wrigley, but I believe there are a few places to get Old Style.

Have fun - cool place to take in a game. Be careful if it's a night game. My cousin got pistol whipped and robbed not far from Wrigley, after a night game last season.
Faustus
Outside of Guaranteed Rate Field they slip game tickets into your wallet after they pistol whip and mug you. I had a relative forced to watch the White Sox get swept in some series.
The Porkchop Express
AG
With 2 hits last night, Jose Altuve reached 2,226 for his career and is now tied for 179th place all time. He passed Craig Nettles, who played a remarkable 22 seasons from 1967 to 1988, and tied Joe Sewell, a star from the first part of the century.

If you've never heard of Joe Sewell, here is a post I made on the Baseball Reference thread (the low key best thread on Texags) about him in April 2023.

Joe Sewell (1920-1933) struck out 114 times total in 7,132 career at-bats.
In 1925, he had 686 plate appearances (594 at-bats) and struck out 4 times. He
collected 204 hits , walked 64 times, and hit .336.

Between 1925 and 1929, he played at least 153 games a year (the season was 154 games long) and his strikeout totals were: 4, 6, 7, 9, 4. In 1932, at age 33, he had 576 plate appearances and struck out 3 times. In his final season, he had 606 plate appearances and struck out 4 times again. His career high in strikeouts in a year was 20 in 1922, a season where he hit .299. He had a career batting average of .312, hit 436 doubles, and made the World Series twice, with a 1 strikeout in45 plate appearances.
tjack16
AG
We can stop scoreboard watching Cleveland. We're not catching them.

3B Paul 97
AG
The 179 hits Altuve has this season are the 5th highest total of his career. The top 4 slots are the consecutive 200+ seasons he had.
wangus12
AG
How can he get pistol whipped if they don't allow guns in Chicago though
cc10106
Ben Gamel to the IL

Prosperdick
AG
Quote:

He passed Craig Nettles, who played a remarkable 22 seasons from 1967 to 1988
So remarkable that people still incorrectly call him Craig, instead of Graig. For years I thought it was Craig because I followed the NL and not the AL (yes I know he played in the NL towards the end) and because his name sounded a lot like Craig Reyolds and they both played the left-side of the infield.
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cc10106 said:

Ben Gamel to the IL

Melton time? Cabbage? Who gets the call?
TRM
AG
I'm guessing Cabbage or Leon.
Farmer1906
AG
I vote Hummel.
cc10106
I figure of all players we could afford to lose a lefty OFer not named Tucker, but Gamel played well and would get good ABs. TYFYS.
Wabs
AG
Expected this to be more in SD's favor

W
AG
it's been a great season for Altuve from the standpoint of achieving 3,000 hits

he's set himself up to reach 2,400 by the end of next year
Beat40
Beau Holder said:

Shocked to see them go down meekly and silently in the 9th.
Shouldn't be. Most teams do.
W
AG
yes, Cleveland is going to reach 90 wins easily...and maybe threaten 94 or 95 wins with so many home games left

the Astros will likely settle in around 88 wins
Prosperdick
AG
W said:

yes, Cleveland is going to reach 90 wins easily...and maybe threaten 94 or 95 wins with so many home games left

the Astros will likely settle in around 88 wins
Yeah I think we can kiss that shot goodbye and just focus on obviously MAKING the playoffs but also setting our rotation for it.
WES2006AG
AG
Wabs said:

89% accuracy is garbage
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I vote Hummel.

Anyone but Cabbage. Although let's be honest, our depth sucks regardless.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't hate a bench of 2-3 of Gamel, Heyward, Singleton plus Dubon.
agproducer
AG
The called strike accuracy of 79% is more offensive in my book.

7 of 34 called strikes were true balls.

Most of the true strikes that were called balls were on the edges, except for 2. I I'm OK with that, but the strike zone was up, down and both sides of the plate.
dcaggie04
AG
The strike zone is going to move up and down for each player. I expect that, so I'm a bit more forgiving on vertical strike/ball calls. Horizontal strike calls should be easy as they have a clear reference with the plate.

One thing to note, the vertical strike zone is why we don't have robo umps right now. They can't calculate the pitches to each individual strike zone in real time.
Beat40
dcaggie04 said:

The strike zone is going to move up and down for each player. I expect that, so I'm a bit more forgiving on vertical strike/ball calls. Horizontal strike calls should be easy as they have a clear reference with the plate.

One thing to note, the vertical strike zone is why we don't have robo umps right now. They can't calculate the pitches to each individual strike zone in real time.
Completely agree with this take. I am less upset by the low ball called a strike and the high ball called a strike (unless it's obvious) for that reason. The horizontal ones are the ones that I get the most upset with. Shouldn't get balls 3 inches off the plate inside or out wrong.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Have worked an argument between two baseball fans about Sandberg vs. Biggio into my latest ghostwritten fiction.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Here is the question that has crept up in my mind the last couple of days:

If Heyward is hitting, would you consider starting him in CF with someone like Framber/Brown on the mound for us if there is a RHP on the mound for the opponent? There is no question that you would be sacrificing defense, but the exchange of bats could be significant in lengthening the lineup.

I didn't consider it an option when he got here, but seeing how Joe has been willing to slide him over after PH for Meyers late in games has me wondering.

Playing along for a second, at MMP in a playoff game you could hypothetically run this lineup out behind a groundball pitcher:

1. Altuve 2B
2. Alvarez LF
3. Tucker RF
4. Diaz C
5. Bregman 3B
6. Caratini DH
7. Singleton 1B
8. Pena SS
9. Heyward CF

Meyers brings a lot of value in CF that is needed with many of our pitchers on the mound, but if Heyward gets hot, you have to at least consider this if the stars are aligned correctly given Jake's offensive struggles.
Farmer1906
AG
That is a big negative for me. Maybe if Heward hit like Yordan, I would consider it. The difference in offensive production doesn't do it for me. We can still get Jake's defense for 7-8 innings and PH a better bat late. Dubon can close it out.
txags92
AG
Wabs said:

I think their metric dramatically underestimates the effect of a ball that is called a strike early in the at bat on the batter's mindset through the rest of the at bat. If they call a pitch outside the strike zone a strike early in the at bat, then the batter strikes out later in the at bat in a similar location because they can't assume it won't be called a strike again, it should count as an "unearned out" or something like that. I suspect the Astros would lead the league in unearned outs by a wide margin if that stat were measured for each game.
First Page Last Page
Page 1691 of 1744

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.