***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,276,412 Views | 60184 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd again like to apologize for the cussing out I did of Dana brown in my head after the trade
houag78
AG
If we go 8-7, they have to go 12-2. Feeling pretty good about our chances.
MaxPower
EastCoastAgNc said:

linkdude said:

I keep going back and forth about Bregman. It's quite a conundrum with Chapman off the board. I wonder what Dana's eval is on how aging will affect his skills. If it's just a value proposition I feel like they'll let him go, but I wonder how they'll replace his 3-4 WAR.

Someone will give him more for longer than what the Astros offer, whatever that may be. He gone
Yup, just takes one idiot in free agency.

As for replacement, he's in AAA. I could speculate on trades but that's the simplest solution. I'm more concerned long term with Tucker. Matthews is a viable big league prospect but our OF is trash without Tucker as we saw this year and we have no real replacement.
Prosperdick
AG
houag78 said:

If we go 8-7, they have to go 12-2. Feeling pretty good about our chances.
Can't believe I'm going to have to root for that ass hat Scherzer tonight. If we hadn't **** the bed against Cinci and Oakland we'd have a big enough cushion I wouldn't need to...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne
What do y'all think of this graphic? I like it, but think I mighta gone Berkman or Oswalt over Correa.

Harry Dunne
BMX Bandit said:

I'd again like to apologize for the cussing out I did of Dana brown in my head after the trade
Great trade. Loperfido sucks. Wagner is gonna be a pretty nice 2b, but that seat's taken.
iamtheglove
I just went back to read the trade deadline Kikuchi meltdown. It is glorious, to say the least. A tour de force, a meltdown for the ages. It starts on page 1210 and runs for about 30 pages.

"Kikuchi is straight trash". "He won't even make the playoff roster much less be an innings eater" "Brown is a ruhtard". "Dana got fleeced". "This signals the end of the dynasty". "Our window just closed"

I myself spent multiple posts comparing Crane to Jerry Jones.

Those 30 pages literally have everything, conspiracy theories, ultimatums, violent dissent, capitulation; 360 degrees of human emotion. War And Peace, texags style.
JDUB08AG
AG
Meh, Correa gets bumped up a few spots for helping us win the 2017 series.
Mathguy64
AG
I'll admit I said Dana got fleeced. I never dreamed Kikuchi would turn into Cy Young. He's easily been the best pickup of the trade season.

Given all the arms coming back next year I wonder if they will consider resigning him.
tjack16
AG
Dana has had a really good year so far with these acquisitions and making the decision to cut Abreu

Even the bench bats he picked up have been doing well.
Now he has a tall task ahead of him, determining how to work extensions over the off-season since we have a few guys who are up for them.. and some that could get them sooner rather than later
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I'll admit I said Dana got fleeced. I never dreamed Kikuchi would turn into Cy Young. He's easily been the best pickup of the trade season.

Given all the arms coming back next year I wonder if they will consider resigning him.

Both things are possible. Dana gave up way too much for a rental. At the same time, he got the best starter based on results so far. I hope they resign him, but I'm afraid the strong reaction and the fact he's a boras client mean he'll go elsewhere for the largest check.
gambochaman
AG
I was part of the cooch meltdown

Here to accept my plate of kuchi crow
tjack16
AG
gambochaman said:

I was part of the cooch meltdown

Here to accept my plate of kuchi crow

Me too.
Marvin
AG
Anyone heard from Ketch lately? Maybe I missed a post, but I don't remember reading anything from him for several weeks.

Hope all is well!
Ags #1
AG
Thought he said he was going to try and stay off game thread cause they get to toxic or negative but could be wrong
Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc said:

Mathguy64 said:

Both things are possible. Dana gave up way too much for a rental. At the same time, he got the best starter based on results so far. I hope they resign him, but I'm afraid the strong reaction and the fact he's a boras client mean he'll go elsewhere for the largest check.
It all depends on the outcome. It sucked seeing Teoscar become a MVP vote getter while we were stuck with a fading Reddick, but no one would take back the Liriano trade because even though his contributions were small, he was a part of a championship.

Loperfido sucks. Wagner is going to end up being a nice player, but he's really limited to 2b defensively and I don't see him ever eclipsing Altuve...and without Kikuchi we might not be in the playoffs at all.
An L of an Ag
AG
Pretty sure I was also *****ing about botching the trade deadline. I'm so glad to be wrong!
W
AG
with 2 weeks to go in the season...

Bregman is tracking toward the worst OPS of his career -- because he has stopped drawing walks

why would you give a player a big contract...after his worst season at the plate?

Marvin
AG
W said:

with 2 weeks to go in the season...

Bregman is tracking toward the worst OPS of his career -- because he has stopped drawing walks

why would you give a player a big contract...after his worst season at the plate?

This is a general question, but the team is 27th in drawing walks. How much do you put on the player versus the team's hitting philosophy?

JPN06
What do you think Lance Berkman feels like when he sees that graphic? It has to sting a bit.

If you could take

A. Correa, or
B. Any long-term Astro (so no Randy Johnson etc.) in their Astros prime not pictured in the 5K graphic and add them to this roster right now, who would you take?

I'd take Berkman without a doubt for position players but overall I'd go peak untouchable 1986 scuffing the dog crap out of the ball Mike Scott.
Kashchei
AG
If we win the division do we think Cintron is back next season? I do, unfortunately.
Marvin
AG
To add to that point, the Astros are 1st in GIDP, 3rd in batting average, and 28th in Ks. They are elite at putting the ball in play, which drives all those stats.

The problem is that it is not always good contact. They chase bad pitches for weak groundouts and pop ups that might otherwise lead to walks.
Harry Dunne
JR Richard.
W
AG
checking in with Carlos...

he's supposed to be activated from the IL today by the Twins

has missed 72 games this year
tjack16
AG
W said:

checking in with Carlos...

he's supposed to be activated from the IL today by the Twins

has missed 72 games this year

We got the best of Springer and Correa. Letting them walk sucked at the time but we definitely made the right call. We'll see what happens with Bregman in a few months
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
jja79
AG
Cesar Cedeno.
JDUB08AG
AG
JPN06 said:

What do you think Lance Berkman feels like when he sees that graphic? It has to sting a bit.

If you could take

A. Correa, or
B. Any long-term Astro (so no Randy Johnson etc.) in their Astros prime not pictured in the 5K graphic and add them to this roster right now, who would you take?

I'd take Berkman without a doubt for position players but overall I'd go peak untouchable 1986 scuffing the dog crap out of the ball Mike Scott.

Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion and I doubt Lance is losing sleep. Just saying that Carlos was one of the core faces to our first ever World Series title and was here 7 years.
Big Cat `93
AG
Bud killed our season.
tjack16
AG
JPN06 said:

If you could take

A. Correa, or

I'd take Correa from his time at the Astros simply because of his October play.

Correa at SS, Pena DH, Yordan LF

I'd go
Altuve
Tucker
Bregman
Yordan
Correa (2017-2021 version)
Diaz

Best top 6 in baseball with Pena batting 9th
Quad Dog
AG
I'd say Roy O is missing more than anyone else. He was our opening day starter for 8 straight years. I love Yordan, but I still feel like he's wearing Oswalt's number.
linkdude
AG
Prosperdick
AG
linkdude said:

Woof!
First Page Last Page
Page 1671 of 1720

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.