***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,403,088 Views | 61500 Replies | Last: 22 sec ago by Ag_07
SpaceCityAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hate to say it, but I think this is one where the analytics aren't the main culprit. I hate sacrifice bunting, but firmly believe there are limited situations where it makes sense. The 11th inning last night was one of them with 7-8-9 coming up with all of them having a platoon disadvantage.

The problem is simply that the majority of today's players are poor bunters. My eyes tell me that way more bunt attempts get popped up than they did 20-30 years ago. Outside of speed players who train to ambush bunt for hits, very few guys seem competent at it, and I think this affects decision making.

The worst thing in the world is to voluntarily give away an out AND get nothing for it.
dcaggie04
AG
Out of the 15 extra inning games we have played this year, last night was the first time that someone bunt a manfield runner to 3rd.

Thought that was interesting with the whole to bunt or not to bunt question.
Ags #1
AG
The first time either the Astros or an opponent against them in those 15 games have bunted a guy to 3rd in extras?
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Besides the sac bunt situations, there was one even crazier one last night. In the bottom of the ninth, we had Altuve on 3rd (Alvarez on 2nd) with 2 outs and Tucker at the plate.

Not only was the infield back, but the third baseman was almost back on the grass. Even though Tucker is not 100% running, an even halfway competent bunt down the 3rd base line would have been a free hit and a walkoff.

Much like players do not take advantage of the shift by bunting (because the defense welcomes them settling for a chance at a single) in normal situations, this is a scenario where a bunt would have been the easiest walkoff ever for a player who knows how to bunt.

Guys just don't seem to practice it anymore, which I frankly just don't understand. As a player, I want to have every club in my bag in case I need it at some point.
dcaggie04
AG
Ags #1 said:

The first time either the Astros or an opponent against them in those 15 games have bunted a guy to 3rd in extras?

Yep
gambochaman
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Besides the sac bunt situations, there was one even crazier one last night. In the bottom of the ninth, we had Altuve on 3rd (Alvarez on 2nd) with 2 outs and Tucker at the plate.

Not only was the infield back, but the third baseman was almost back on the grass. Even though Tucker is not 100% running, an even halfway competent bunt down the 3rd base line would have been a free hit and a walkoff.

Much like players do not take advantage of the shift by bunting (because the defense welcomes them settling for a chance at a single) in normal situations, this is a scenario where a bunt would have been the easiest walkoff ever for a player who knows how to bunt.

Guys just don't seem to practice it anymore, which I frankly just don't understand. As a player, I want to have every club in my bag in case I need it at some point.

Very well said
tjack16
AG
tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

Just realized Oakland is in town. Why do I feel like the odds are better that the Astros lose this series than sweep it?

Here's how it'll go

one game = blowout win
one game = struggle win
one game = horrible loss where the offense completely no shows (most likely Thursday)

So that means tonight is the blowout win, or the struggle win.

I'll count last night as the offense no shows given they went 2-17 with RISP.
Ags #1
AG
Looks like we beat the A's in extras on may 15th. In the top of the 10th the A's first batter Schumann attempted a bunt on the first pitch. He eventually walked but they at least tried to bunt
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ags #1
AG
Great news on Tucker being available for the outfield
Ag4life80
AG
If you have the ability to play in MLB , then you can learn to bunt fairly quickly. It's a won't, not a can't type ego thing.
Mathguy64
AG
You just know that there were Arlingtonians reading this discussion today and their head have literally exploded trying to comprehend what was written.

OPS is hard up there. Games played is the most commonly used metric of success. The idea of probabilistic outcomes, statistical modeling and expected return from the Law of Large Numbers would literally cause aneurysms.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Exactly - bunting is not talent based like hitting. Sure, someone with better hand-eye coordination will be better just like with hitting in general, but there is no swing mechanic. It is a matter of knowing the basics of how to effectively bunt and then simply practicing it combined with tracking the pitch with the bat plane.

Growing up playing ball, my hitting ability waxed and waned, but bunting was never a problem. I was fast, so I had incentive to know how to bunt and pick up freebies. It wasn't hard. It is just a matter of practice.
Prosperdick
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

This is what it would have looked like...well, if Jake Taylor batted left-handed.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
And see, it worked so brilliantly that even a cursed team like the Indians won!
wessimo
AG
I think FrioAg accidentally posted his tickets on the youth baseball thread, if anyone is looking to go to the game tonight.
W
AG
so the Guardians got win #84 today

Astros are sitting at 77 wins

not looking good for the 2-seed
FrioAg 00
AG
Good catch - Doh!

Anyone looking to go late or upgrade their seats tonight please tell me your email address
tjack16
AG
I'd like to see Heyward get some starts … would rather see him against a righty than dubon
fullback44
AG
Nice inning for Brown
Mathguy64
AG
The transition of HB to ML pitcher this year had been amazing. He's becoming a bonafide #1.
Twisted Helix
B
Ciboag96
You just knew HB was going to blow buy this guy after blue flubbed the check swing call
fullback44
AG
Brown Town sat them Down
Mathguy64
AG
That would have been nice last night
fullback44
AG
Close to a Breggy Bomb…
Twisted Helix
C'mon Jake.
fullback44
AG
Jake … do something
fullback44
AG
Good Jake
wessimo
AG
Dubie
tjack16
AG
tjack16 said:

I'd like to see Heyward get some starts … would rather see him against a righty than dubon

Idiot take
fullback44
AG
Doobie Doobie Doooo
Marvin
AG
Wow, 27th in OPS with the bases loaded. For a team that is near the top in average, that is horrific and a direct indictment of this team's inability to adjust to the situation. Cintron should be fired on that alone.
tjack16
AG
Hunter … we just can't do anything the easy way
Ciboag96
Jesus Altuve
First Page Last Page
Page 1648 of 1758

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.