***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,279,798 Views | 60224 Replies | Last: 32 min ago by txags92
FrioAg 00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very nice

Twins lost and Cleveland gave up 6 in the first inning.

Good chance to gain a game on everyone needed
Harry Dunne
Mathguy64 said:

jkag89 said:

Let's go Redbirds, I also wouldn't cry if the Effin' Dodgers win tonight.

I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. Seriously. **** that team.

Aside from the fact that it's the dodgers (and **** Fat Tommy, **** that lying cheating sanctimonious sack of **** Steve Garvey), they and Joe Kelly are probably as responsible for this BS booing of Altuve around the league as anyone. Every time they get interviewed they whine and cry.

tjack16
AG
Seaman lose on Kikuchi day and a TOFA win.
Mathguy64
AG
Magic number = 15
gambochaman
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Maybe Julia should call more games…..

We just need more Julia in general
agdaddy04
AG
There's no reason to have esch do pbp instead of Julia.
BQRyno
AG
Couldn't disagree more. Neither one of them is TK, but Julia is completely out of her element on pxp. They shouldn't keep trying it.
Mathguy64
AG
I would rather they bring Sparky over and let him do it and then put Bagwell in for color in the radio booth.
W
AG
why are the radio and TV guys taking so much time off?

it's not a year round job

if you want to take a series off -- pick the one before or after the all-star break...and get a week off
Mathguy64
AG
The ****ing dodgers are up 7-2, T5.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
dixichkn
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jkag89 said:

Let's go Redbirds, I also wouldn't cry if the Effin' Dodgers win tonight.

I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. Seriously. **** that team.

Aside from the fact that it's the dodgers (and **** Fat Tommy, **** that lying cheating sanctimonious sack of **** Steve Garvey), they and Joe Kelly are probably as responsible for this BS booing of Altuve around the league as anyone. Every time they get interviewed they whine and cry.
Agreed. After their perpetual, nonstop whining for the last 5 years I don't think there's anything that could get me to root for those ***holes. I even pull for the Skankees against them.
BadAggie
AG

W
AG
Twins (76-66) are scuffling

4 games ahead of the Red Sox -- with a series upcoming in Boston

Carlos still out -- missed 67 games now
BadAggie
AG
77-65
5.0 games back of top AL seed (Yankees).
4.0 games back of Wild Card bye (Tribe).
5.5 games lead in AL West (Seamen).
4.5 games back of 1st Wild Card spot (Orioles).
0.5 games back of 2nd Wild Card spot (Royals).
1.0 games lead for 3rd Wild Card spot (Twins).

CatD11Ag
AG
20 more regular season games and a lot vs the AL West.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
chap
AG
That calendar is all screwed up
jetch17
AG
I guess directv is going to continue to F me in the A with the Disney blackout for the ESPN game tonight
Shayboy3
S
I think you get three weeks free and cancel at anytime. That what I did yesterday.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Well, I ran my record to 8 straight in-person wins last night, including 3 this year, splurging on nice seats for my wife's birthday, buying her an Altuve jersey plus Altuve and Pena jerseys for my kids, and literally telling my wife "Altuve is going to hit a HR for your birthday" 2 pitches before he did.

That HR, part of Altuve's 3 for 5 day, sent him past friggin' Joe Dimaggio in career hits to 2,216 and #184 on the all-time list. With 20 games to go and at 169 hits, he's now on pace for 193 hits this year. if he does that, he'll rise up to 175th place. A healthy 2025 would seem pass Jeff Bagwell (2,314) for 2nd on the all-time Astro list, and get him into the top 125.

100th place is currently former Astro Buddy Bell at 2,514, so Altuve is just under 300 behind that right now.

Three runs scored saw Altuve move past Lance Berkman for 224th place all-time to 1,147. He needs 37 more to enter the top 200.

His double got him to 426, tied for 148th with Andrew McCutchen and Pretty Boy Keith Hernandez. He's only 33 doubles away from the top 100 of all-time. He 's averaged in the high 20s per year in doubles so getting into the top 100 could happen late next year. Only 64 players all time have reached 500 doubles.

The homer was his 228th. If he makes it to 300 home runs for his career he will join one of the most elite groups in baseball, the 300-300 club, currently occupied by:

Barry Bonds (714-514, yeesh)
A-Rod (696-329)
Willie Mays (660-338)
Andre Dawson (438-314)
Carlos Beltran (435-312)
Bobby Bonds (332-461)
Reggie Sanders (305-304)
Steve Finley (304-320)

So if he makes it, he's really part of a group of 4 that did it without probably using steroids - Mays, Dawson, the older Bonds, and Altuve. Cuz ain't no ****ing way Steve Finley gets to 300 HR with his God-given body. Unless he played 70 seasons.

Biggio missed it by 9 home runs (291-414) and Rickey Henderson missed it by 3 home runs despite stealing 49,000 bases (actualy 1,406).

bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Red Five
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Well, I ran my record to 8 straight in-person wins last night, including 3 this year, splurging on nice seats for my wife's birthday, buying her an Altuve jersey plus Altuve and Pena jerseys for my kids, and literally telling my wife "Altuve is going to hit a HR for your birthday" 2 pitches before he did.

That HR, part of Altuve's 3 for 5 day, sent him past friggin' Joe Dimaggio in career hits to 2,216 and #184 on the all-time list. With 20 games to go and at 169 hits, he's now on pace for 193 hits this year. if he does that, he'll rise up to 175th place. A healthy 2025 would seem pass Jeff Bagwell (2,314) for 2nd on the all-time Astro list, and get him into the top 125.

100th place is currently former Astro Buddy Bell at 2,514, so Altuve is just under 300 behind that right now.

Three runs scored saw Altuve move past Lance Berkman for 224th place all-time to 1,147. He needs 37 more to enter the top 200.

His double got him to 426, tied for 148th with Andrew McCutchen and Pretty Boy Keith Hernandez. He's only 33 doubles away from the top 100 of all-time. He 's averaged in the high 20s per year in doubles so getting into the top 100 could happen late next year. Only 64 players all time have reached 500 doubles.

The homer was his 228th. If he makes it to 300 home runs for his career he will join one of the most elite groups in baseball, the 300-300 club, currently occupied by:

Barry Bonds (714-514, yeesh)
A-Rod (696-329)
Willie Mays (660-338)
Andre Dawson (438-314)
Carlos Beltran (435-312)
Bobby Bonds (332-461)
Reggie Sanders (305-304)
Steve Finley (304-320)

So if he makes it, he's really part of a group of 4 that did it without probably using steroids - Mays, Dawson, the older Bonds, and Altuve. Cuz ain't no ****ing way Steve Finley gets to 300 HR with his God-given body. Unless he played 70 seasons.

Biggio missed it by 9 home runs (291-414) and Rickey Henderson missed it by 3 home runs despite stealing 49,000 bases (actualy 1,406).

To be fair, Barry was 400-400 prior to '98 which is the year McGwire and Sosas obviously drug-enhanced fame encouraged him to start using as well. At least that is the story.
TarponChaser
Before he started using PEDs Bonds would still have been a 1st ballot HOF and probably one of the top 10 hitters in history. Once he got on PEDs he shot to #1 hitter. At worst he's #2 behind Ted Williams.
rosco511
AG
TarponChaser said:

Before he started using PEDs Bonds would still have been a 1st ballot HOF and probably one of the top 10 hitters in history. Once he got on PEDs he shot to #1 hitter. At worst he's #2 behind Ted Williams.
Which is why the baseball writers are idiots, Bonds should be in the hall of fame.
MaxPower
They aren't idiots. They're arrogant and think they're bigger than the game. The HOF is their only power and they use it to settle personal grievances.
TarponChaser
MaxPower said:

They aren't idiots. They're arrogant and think they're bigger than the game. The HOF is their only power and they use it to settle personal grievances.

Yup.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Bonds definitely would have been first ballot, but that wasn't good enough for him. By all accounts he was an awful teammate and a cheater, yet his numbers are the best on a consistent level since Babe Ruth.

But then there's this from The Hall of Fame itself: The Hall of Fame asks voters to decide based on a player's record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and team contributions.

As long as that is being considered, guys who cheated or are heavily believed to have cheated, have zero shot of making it.

Post removed:
by user
iBrad
AG
Plenty of steroid users are in the Hall of Fame already, as are 100s of players that popped greenies like they were candy. Steroids had a more noticeable impact, but amphetamines were more widely used and probably had a greater overall impact on the game.
Harry Dunne
I have beaten this horse to death over the years, but I think it's likely that just about everyone that was MVP-level during the steroid era cheated.

We know a huge percentage of baseball was cheating and that steroids give you a huge advantage. It doesn't stand to reason that someone head shoulders above the rest of the league was clean while everyone else was cheating.

This includes Biggio and Bagwell. Aside from the above logic and their results, there is just too much circumstantial evidence not to believe that's true.

Bonds won't get in because he was an A-hole and Big Papi will because he's fun and cool but in my mind, there's no distinction between the two.
Harry Dunne
gambochaman said:

tjack16
AG
Harry Dunne said:

gambochaman said:

Why is this video 10 minutes long?
MaxPower
The Porkchop Express said:

Bonds definitely would have been first ballot, but that wasn't good enough for him. By all accounts he was an awful teammate and a cheater, yet his numbers are the best on a consistent level since Babe Ruth.

But then there's this from The Hall of Fame itself: The Hall of Fame asks voters to decide based on a player's record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and team contributions.

As long as that is being considered, guys who cheated or are heavily believed to have cheated, have zero shot of making it.

Team contributions is interesting. Had he gotten over the hump and won a WS would that change voters opinions? Doubtful for reasons I've already stated.
TarponChaser
iBrad said:

Plenty of steroid users are in the Hall of Fame already, as are 100s of players that popped greenies like they were candy. Steroids had a more noticeable impact, but amphetamines were more widely used and probably had a greater overall impact on the game.

"Greenies" weren't banned in baseball until 2006 though.
First Page Last Page
Page 1620 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.