***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,293,311 Views | 60477 Replies | Last: 59 min ago by Mathguy64
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bottom half of the roster is just weaker than it was in 2019-2022. That lowers the ceiling of the regular season win total, plus losing a top 5 MVP finisher in Tucker for more than half a season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
W said:

despite the sweep...the Astros are still going to win the division and make the playoffs...

but it is concerning that the season win total is trending down

2022 ---> 106 wins
2023 ---> 90 wins
2024 ---> 86 wins ?

a potential drop-off of 20 wins in 2 seasons...

front office...what are you doing?
According to TexAgs if we had anyone but managing the team instead of Dusty Baker, we would have gone 158-4 in 2022 and 133-29 in 2023. Not sure what Espada's problem is, managing a baseball team is easy!
iBrad
AG
W said:

despite the sweep...the Astros are still going to win the division and make the playoffs...

2022 ---> 106 wins
2023 ---> 90 wins
2024 ---> 86 wins ?

Is this a serious question? Revisit the pitching injuries the last two seasons (and remember that we also lost a dominant Verlander after '22), the extended time that our top players spent on the IL (Altuve and Alvarez last year), and the bad signings of Abreu, Montero, and Brantley (which were owner moves).
Ag_07
AG
I also think we need to hit pause and realize what these guys have been doing this season as far as climbing back out of their hole.

They've busted their ass to go from 10 GB to where we are now. I bet it's been an absolute grind for them.

So yeah...They're tired and worn out right now. Pena can't even field a ground ball anymore.

When you think about it it's understandable why there may be a lapse of focus or a random stinker of a series. It's been a long season.
Wabs
AG
It's time

Phrasing
AG
Ag_07 said:

So yeah...They're tired and worn out right now. Pena can't even field a ground ball anymore.

This is what worries me. They are tired. Worn out. Hurt. Can't field ground balls. I know we have a 4.5 game cushion, but it's concerning.
JDUB08AG
AG
W said:

2022 ---> 106 wins
2023 ---> 90 wins
2024 ---> 86 wins ?

I still look at April of this year as a super anomaly that threw everything out of whack and went beyond the "its baseball" theory.
houag78
AG
This whole series was odd . JV's struggles doomed us Mon, weird day off Tues, inexplicable outing by Spaghetti on Wed and getting shutout on Thur by a rookie pitcher we've never seen before (of course that's happened a lot over the last 4-5 years). Let's hope normalcy (and Tucker) returns today!
TarponChaser
Phrasing said:

Ag_07 said:

This is what worries me. They are tired. Worn out. Hurt. Can't field ground balls. I know we have a 4.5 game cushion, but it's concerning.
_veeyah_
AG
Phrasing said:

Ag_07 said:

That's why I think a #2 seed would help this team a lot. Getting some rest, refocus and be ready for the playoffs, there was a moment there where all of our top players had to play every single day to get out of that hole. I still think this team can pull it off, hopefully these last couple of weeks are not s**tty
Phrasing
AG
TarponChaser said:

Phrasing said:

Ag_07 said:

Yes! Now I want to watch this movie tonight - Top 5 for me. Lollygaggers!
Furlock Bones
AG
apparently it may or may not be time.
cc10106
I won't believe Tuck is back until he is fidgeting around in the box.
W
AG
Astros have played 140 games

top 5 games-played leaders:

137 - Pena
136 - Altuve
131- Yordan
128 - Yainer & Jake

Bregman (127) has missed 13 games and will not reach the 150-game played plateau

last year he played in 161 games
mwm
He'll need to spit to confirm he's back.

C'mon & spit, Tuck.
TRM
AG
W said:

2022 ---> 106 wins
2023 ---> 90 wins
2024 ---> 86 wins ?

Craned
All I do is Nguyen
Harry Dunne
linkdude said:

Bottom half of the roster is just weaker than it was in 2019-2022. That lowers the ceiling of the regular season win total, plus losing a top 5 MVP finisher in Tucker for more than half a season.
Where we are is a miracle. I doubt any organization in baseball could withstand losing Javier, Luis, Urquidy, McCullers...and JV most of the season and be anywhere near first place.

Not to mention we have have been playing with AAA (or worse) level guys at first base and at least one OF spot all season.

Farmer1906
AG
We also had ridiculously good health in 2022.
W
AG
except Brantley missing 98 games

Yordan missing 27 games

and Altuve missing 21 games

the '22 club had much better replacements (i.e. bench)
BadAggie
AG
"Umps, Youse da best."

All I do is Nguyen said:

tjack16
AG
W said:

Yordan missing 27 games

Also guys were playing at a higher level than they are now (Pena, Chas, bullpen guys, and JV)
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Yordan missing 27 games

I was mostly referring to pitching. We had 5 pitchers with 25-31 starts. And McCullers was healthy for the finish and postseason. We were so stacked that Urquidy, Garcia, & Brown were out of the pen in Oct. Our top 6 bullpen arms all made 50 or more appearances and were healthy in the postseason.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG

Beau Holder
AG
RIP to the Moosh.
BayAg_14
bearkatag15
AG
Beau Holder said:

RIP to the Moosh.

I liked Parker. He'll find a landing spot somewhere
BadAggie
AG
22 games left, 5.0 games behind Cleveland (5 games back in loss column) with 3 games head to head remaining.

Astro games remaining
3 v AZ
3 v Oakland
3 v SD
7 v Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Orange County of California of the United States of North America of Western Hemisphere of Planet Earth of the Solar System of the Milky Way of my ass
3 v Seamen
3 v Tribe

Tribe games remaining
3 v Dodgers
3 v White Sux
4 v Tampa
4 v Minnesota
3 v St Louis
2 v Cincinnatus
3 v Stros

Other than the free square versus Southside the Tribe have the on paper more difficult schedule imo.

Still, any path for the Astros taking the Wild Card bye likely will mean having to sweep or win that head to head series in the last 3 games of the year, and get their collective head out of their ass.

Ag_07
AG
wessimo
AG
Finally
CFTXAG10
AG

wangus12
AG
bearkatag15 said:

How dare they leave of Spaghetti
bearkatag15
AG
You must have missed his last start. I don't blame you, if you blinked you missed it
tjack16
AG
Alright so Tucker and Bregman are back full time.

Zero excuse for the offense to be bad going forward
First Page Last Page
Page 1606 of 1728

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.