***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,294,547 Views | 60477 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Mathguy64
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The high after the Royals series and the low after this series. The roller coaster ride continues.
Ag_07
AG
Some of yall need to

We have a bit of a cushion here
Mathguy64
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Mathguy64 said:

Its the end of a 14 game road trip. This is going to happen.

Royals series was at home
Its a 14 day road trip.

4 in Baltimore
3 in Philly
4 in Houston
3 in Cincy

the fact that the plane landed in Houston for 4 games doesnt change that it left right after. The players would say it was a 14 game road trip.
Beau Holder
AG
Solid summary of the attitude in the dugout this week.

Series against the Diamondbacks, improved A's, Padres, Mariners who have had our number the last two regular seasons, and Guardians might require more than 4.5 games' worth of cushion to feel comfortable for a team this good at going braindead at the drop of a pin, that's all.
Boiling Denim
Mathguy64 said:

Boiling Denim said:

Mathguy64 said:

Its the end of a 14 game road trip. This is going to happen.

Royals series was at home
Its a 14 day road trip.

4 in Baltimore
3 in Philly
4 in Houston
3 in Cincy

the fact that the plane landed in Houston for 4 games doesnt change that it left right after. The players would say it was a 14 game road trip.

Is this that Common Core math I've heard so much about?
cc10106
Boiling Denim said:

heavens11 said:

wangus12 said:

Sweep good teams, get swept by trash

So on brand for this years team. Play awesome and stack some wins. Get
To what should be a softer portion of the schedule and **** the bed

They did the same thing last season. Swept by the struggling Yanks, lost two series to the Royals and lost the series to the A's at home before the Seattle and DBacks series
Last year's late season swoon was worse (*we're not even swooning at this point), but we can't get swept again. Flush this one and take 2 this weekend before another off day Monday to recover.
fullback44
AG
Dam.. just saw the Final, Cincy has our number. Need to get this on the right track if we want to try and take the division.. may get close w 3 games against the Mariners still

Lots of ball left to play
W
AG
what a mail-in job

did Dusty sneak back into the dugout in Cincy?
W
AG
and Dana...

oh, when Kukichi pitches...looks like a genius

the other 4 days...not even close
jkag89
EastCoastAgNc said:

I blame Jeff Bagwell
I blame Blummer and Julia for taking a whole series off down the stretch. TK only took a couple of days off.

Wabs
AG
W said:

and Dana...

oh, when Kukichi pitches...looks like a genius

the other 4 days...not even close
Dana has made a few decent moves (and one great one), but adding exactly 0 offense at the trade deadline continues to hurt this team.
Beau Holder
AG
Not sure who he could've added that would've mattered when Diaz and Alvarez went 0-fer this entire series, particularly with our capital.
Wabs
AG
Beau Holder said:

Not sure who he could've added that would've mattered when Diaz and Alvarez went 0-fer this entire series, particularly with our capital.
Maybe the guy that beat us today and we can't seem to get out?
Beau Holder
AG
I fear his powers only activate against us.
tjack16
AG
Its is very 2023-2024 Astros to sweep a playoff team and then immediately get swept by a bad team
MaxPower

Sorry if this was already posted.
W
AG
Astros fall to 19-21 vs. the National League

go figure

throw out the 7-0 mark vs. the hapless Rockies and awful Marlins...

and the 'stros are only 12-21 vs. senior circuit teams with a pulse
AggiEE
Can someone fix the batter's eye in Cincinnati?
cc10106
I'm giving this team some slack because of how far they've climbed out of the hole they were in early on along with all the injuries possibly making the dog days stretch into September. Last year's team struggled at home basically the whole season while this one is 39-29 at MMP and 36-36 on the road. Looking at the 2nd half trends they tend to lose 2 or 3 straight but haven't really slumped. Another good win streak like they just had of 5 games would be huge.
tjack16
AG
cc10106 said:

I'm giving this team some slack because of how far they've climbed out of the hole they were in early on along with all the injuries possibly making the dog days stretch into September. Last year's team struggled at home basically the whole season while this one is 39-29 at MMP and 36-36 on the road. Looking at the 2nd half trends they tend to lose 2 or 3 straight but haven't really slumped. Another good win streak like they just had of 5 games would be huge.

Need to get better on the road because we won't have homefield advantage in the playoffs until maybe the ALCS if a top team falls
cc10106
Yeah. I'm confident that they can turn it up a notch on the road with all their post-season experience. Just need the pitching to keep it close.
linkdude
AG
Home or away doesn't really matter, if you play a lot of close games where you don't score much. Good luck getting much over .500 when the top of the order is silent. Wasting the couple of opportunities you get doesn't help.
Ag_07
AG
Don't forget it seems like this team plays like crap in empty stadiums with no juice.
cc10106
This team has impoved in close games at least. Hopefully that continues. They're also 19-5 since the ASB while scoring 4 or more runs.
mwm
Some of you younger guys won't necessarily know this, but this is NOT your daddy's "Big Red Machine" that we just got swept by. Had it been the BRM, there would be a boat-load of hematomas and stitches on the airplane ride home.

These guys are fully capable of a monumental collapse. I sure don't want to see it but, after this series, it wouldn't surprise me. They are also fully capable of going on that 10-game win streak that the GM has been talking about.

We've got 3-weeks to see if there's a backbone in there somewhere.
houag78
AG
This team will be fine. This was a strange 4 day road trip w a day off in between. 4.5 game lead at this point - we're good.
JB!98
AG
**Insert large breasted nubile woman** for motivation for upcoming games. Tired of having my posts deleted and risking a ban. I thought we were past that.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower said:

Sorry if this was already posted.

Advanced stats are getting really niche these days
Aggie95
AG
Keep FA and we'll FO.

4.5 is a little close for comfort although SEA has the tougher remaining schedule
cc10106
As bad as this series was, it was their first time being swept since late April which was nearly 4.5 months ago. It happens. No reason to hit the panic button.
Johnsy3
AG
Surprisingly, we aren't the team that Ty France owns the most. That title belongs to the Royals

vs KCR: 27 games, .408/.496/.631/1.127. 5 HR, 20 RBI, 199 OPS+

vs HOU: 67 games, .337/.404/.484/.888, 8 HR, 28 RBI, 136 OPS+
BCEDAg
AG
When Seattle DFA'd Ty France I thought for sure Dana would pick him up, especially his track record against Verlander. He had nine hits in the series and was the difference maker in today's 1-0 win. He would have looked good in orange and blue.
Instead we brought up Decenzo to platoon at first base and so far that experiment has been a disaster.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I try to look at the last 7 games through the lens of - if we had gone 2-2 vs KC and 2-1 vs Cincy we'd be satisfied. That's 4-3, same record as 4-0 + 0-3.
W
AG
despite the sweep...the Astros are still going to win the division and make the playoffs...

but it is concerning that the season win total is trending down

2022 ---> 106 wins
2023 ---> 90 wins
2024 ---> 86 wins ?

a potential drop-off of 20 wins in 2 seasons...

front office...what are you doing?
BadAggie
AG
75-65
5.5 games back of top AL seed (Orioles).
5.0 games back of Wild Card bye (Tribe).
4.5 games lead in AL West (Seamen).
5.0 games back of 1st Wild Card spot (Yankees).
1.0 games back of 2nd Wild Card spot (Twins).
0.5 games back of 3rd Wild Card spot (Royals).

First Page Last Page
Page 1605 of 1728

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.