***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,277,043 Views | 60194 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Prosperdick
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Missed todays game but it looks like we beat the cheese wiz out of those guys .. great work
Faustus
Fun win for sure. It was great to see the bats from our stars find a groove too.

I hadn't checked the MLB WAR leaders in a while so it was kind of surprising to see the top 5 players in bWAR were in the AL, and they were up by a lot over the current NL leader Ohtani.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB-leaders.shtml

1. Judge NYY 9.7
2. Witt KCR 8.7
3. Duran BOS 8.1
4. Henderson BAL 7.4
5. Soto NYY 7.4
6. Ohtani LAD 6.6

Part of that is that Ohtani's WAR doesn't get the bonus all the other players do from fielding that he'd otherwise have from pitching (presumably). It's a little funny though that Judge would have an even better bWAR of 10.0 if he only DH'd too (offensive bWAR leaders in link).
BadAggie
AG

BadAggie
AG

Mathguy64
AG
A bruised shin bone will end up making him miss more than half the season.
BadAggie
AG
Mathguy64 said:

A bruised shin bone will end up making him miss more than half the season.

BadAggie
AG
Kinda funny how the Astros barren, worst in MLB, farm system just continually shtts out pitchers capable of elite performance season after season

BadAggie
AG
Get Matzek btw

Hornbeck
AG
I missed much of the game with work, rewatching now. The Tuve steal of home was epic!
BadAggie
AG
71-62
4.5 games back of Wild Card bye (Tribe).
3.5 games lead in AL West (Seamen).
1.0 games back of 3rd Wild Card spot (Twins).

agdaddy04
AG
Beau Holder said:

Mariners' next seven are against the Angels and A's, then three against the faded Cardinals.

I'd give the A's a fair chance at that series. They're not laying over and have a chance at passing Arlington for 3rd in the west.
tjack16
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
If the rotation holds, going to see Kikuchi pitch next Saturday for my wife's birthday.
West Roxbury
Marvin said:

West Roxbury said:

Watching Yordan Alvarez play baseball is one of the more pleasant things I've done in watching Astros baseball for over 50 years. He has plate discipline and a nice, even approach at the plate.

And he can ******* crush the baseball. That, too.

Power to all fields!! And doesn't compromise BA.
Wabs
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

If the rotation holds, going to see Kikuchi pitch next Saturday for my wife's birthday.
So what you're saying is you're going to see Kuchi, and then you're going to get some Ku.....
The Porkchop Express
AG
West Roxbury said:

Marvin said:

West Roxbury said:

Watching Yordan Alvarez play baseball is one of the more pleasant things I've done in watching Astros baseball for over 50 years. He has plate discipline and a nice, even approach at the plate.

And he can ******* crush the baseball. That, too.

Power to all fields!! And doesn't compromise BA.
Yordan's played 606 games for the Astros, the equivalent of 3.7 full seasons - here's what he's piled up

4th all time in franchise history in OBP at .392
2nd in SLG at .583
4th in AVG at .299
2nd in OPS at .975
10th in HR at 157, with a shot at 9th (163) and 8th (166) if he stays hot.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Remarkable players rapidly seeing Jose Altuve (career 2,205 hits) approach in their rear-view mirror as the season winds down.

Jose is currently #189 all-time.

#188 Willie Wilson, 2207
#187 Willie Randolph, 2211
#184 Joe Dimaggio, 2214
#177 Willie Stargell, 2232
#176 Michael Jack Schmidt, 2234
#175 John Olerud, 2239

DiMaggio, like so many of his contemporaries, missed 3 years of his absolutely prime due to World War 2. He missed all of 1943-1945, his 28, 29, and 30-year old seasons. In 1946, he "only" hit .290, the second-worst average of his career.
If you give him an average of his hits per season for the three years prior to his War service, he gets an extra 558 hits and finishes with 2,772 hits, easily tops 400 home runs, and approaches 2,000 RBI.

A final note - in his legendary 1941 season with the 56-game hit streak, he struck out 13 times in 622 plate appearances.
AgSportsFan89
AG

A final note - in his legendary 1941 season with the 56-game hit streak, he struck out 13 times in 622 plate appearances.
Donkey can match that in a 4 game series
07ag
AG

interesting choice of show for your wife's birthday, but, have fun on the trip to thailand
https://ts.la/eric59704
Mathguy64
AG

I give you the polar opposite of Joltin' Joe. Mr Kyle Schwarber.

In 11 games against Houston, he has 47 PA and 36 AB. Thats 10 BB and a HPB. He has 5 hits, all HR and 18 K's.

His slash line is a crazy .139/.340/.556 with an OPS+ of 113. His BABIP is 0.000 (think about it, he has put no balls in play in the field).

Even Jo Jo thinks this is too much of a 3 three true outcome line.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
"I put the full Yordong in the cheesesteak" may be the best line ever.
wessimo
AG
Wabs said:

So what you're saying is you're going to see Kuchi, and then you're going to get some Ku.....

You must have missed the part about him being married...
Wabs
AG
What do y'all think we're going to do at 1B in the postseason? Safe to assume Singleton against RH pitchers? Will Diaz play there against LH? This is the one position that we didn't address via trade and haven't yet through other means.
RC_57
AG
Love finishing it out with the Rocky music.

Yea, cliche.

But still loved it
Proudag06
AG
wessimo said:

Wabs said:

lol, that was also my first thought. Wife's birthday does not equal husband's birthday
Proudag06
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Really expected him to splice one of Yordan's homers together with his WS Game 6 bomb against the phils to really twist the knife
txags92
AG
Proudag06 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Really expected him to splice one of Yordan's homers together with his WS Game 6 bomb against the phils to really twist the knife
Did I miss it or did he skip the Altuve steal of home?
Johnsy3
AG
Imagine if Yordan could hit the same at home as on the road

Home (61 games, including vs Colorado in Mexico City)
  • 259/.348/.406/.754
  • 58 H, 9 2B, 8 HR, 20 RBI

Away (63 games)
  • .360/.446/.711/1.158
  • 86 H, 20 2B, 20 HR, 51 RBI
Farmer1906
AG
Yordan's wRC+ jumped from 160 to 168 after yesterday, but even more wild is that his WAR jumped from 4.0 to 4.5.WAR over the last 3 seasons topped 15 (15.2). Someone Yoprdan is commonly compared to, Ortiz, best 3-year stretch was 16.9. Yordan has a chance to close the gap with a strong Sept but probably isn't making up another 1.7 WAR.
BadAggie
AG

KUCHI
KUCHI
KUCHI

jkag89
wessimo said:

Wabs said:

. . . with children.
agproducer
AG
Proudag06 said:

wessimo said:

Wabs said:

lol, that was also my first thought. Wife's birthday does not equal husband's birthday
Even husband's birthday doesn't matter.
FrioAg 00
AG
Some of y'all need to reset some priorities and expectations in your relationships - no wonder this thread goes toxic so quickly during games.
Booma94
AG
txags92 said:

Proudag06 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Did I miss it or did he skip the Altuve steal of home?
My exact thoughts. I know when Spaghetti is dealing like he was and Yordan smashes 3 bombs it's hard to fit all the highlights in, but stealing home is a pretty rare event and I'm surprised he left it out.
First Page Last Page
Page 1529 of 1720

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.