***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,280,430 Views | 60227 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
cc10106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Toronto doesn't seem to be a very competent organization. I know they're in a perennially tough division, but they have disappointed the last few years after looking like a potential AL contender.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Quo Vadis? said:

tjack16 said:

Beat40 said:

Beat40 said:

I'm warming up the oven on the Kikuchi trade.

If he keeps giving the Astros these types of starts, they are perfect for a 4th starting pitching spot if the Astros are fortunate to make it to the postseason.
Well, Farmer, the bird is cooked and tastes delicious.

Not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

I was dead wrong on Kikuchi. I was convinced he would only be a "well he ate some innings for us" guy, (basically what Odorizzi did) and not give us much of quality. Glad to be wrong so far
I'm hoping we can sign his ass for 3 more years at less than $40mm. I think his going to be a sub 4 ERA inning eater.

Let's tap the brakes on a 3 year deal. Those haven't worked out so well recently.
_veeyah_
AG
tjack16 said:

Playoffs

Starters go 5-6 innings.
Neris 6th
Abreu 7th
Pressly 8th
Hader 9th

If the starter goes through 6 or 7, then play the matchups the rest of the way until Hader
Do we really think that Espada will play matchups? I feel like no matter what he's always set on Abreu, Pressly, and Hader. I feel like there's been some games that he could've played matchups but hasn't done so, I wonder if he's just waiting for the playoffs and then he does this.
Booma94
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Quo Vadis? said:

tjack16 said:

I was dead wrong on Kikuchi. I was convinced he would only be a "well he ate some innings for us" guy, (basically what Odorizzi did) and not give us much of quality. Glad to be wrong so far
I'm hoping we can sign his ass for 3 more years at less than $40mm. I think his going to be a sub 4 ERA inning eater.

Let's tap the brakes on a 3 year deal. Those haven't worked out so well recently.
I agree. I don't know if he would do it, but if he would I would propose a 1 year deal at slightly above market value to give him a chance to prove that the small sample size isn't just a run of good fortune.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Beat40 said:

If he keeps giving the Astros these types of starts, they are perfect for a 4th starting pitching spot if the Astros are fortunate to make it to the postseason.

Quote:

I will be big enough to eat my words if it works out.
A man of your word.

My first reaction was "WTF!!" when the trade went down. I had never thought very much of or about him. A little digging showed me there was some reason to believe he could be good for us. He's exceeded my expectations and turned me into a fan. I do hope we keep him around another year or two.
wangus12
AG
W said:

big win tonight

the Astros survive the 4-game set in Baltimore

finished with the AL East for 2024
Until we have to ***** slap them out of the playoffs
bearkatag15
AG

Best pitching staff in the league this month
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

Beat40 said:

Quote:

A man of your word.

My first reaction was "WTF!!" when the trade went down. I had never thought very much of or about him. A little digging showed me there was some reason to believe he could be good for us. He's exceeded my expectations and turned me into a fan. I do hope we keep him around another year or two.

This. Choking down my serving of crow as we speak. I will admit that his work so far has surprised me in a pleasant way. I still think we gave up too much for him as a rental. But the arms we have that are showing signs of getting tired prove that the need was real and he has done better than we could have hoped for other than maybe wishing he could make it through 6 a few more times. Hopefully we can hang on to him for another year or two based on what he has shown recently.
Mr President Elect
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Some sensational Yainer Diaz

Last 7 days: .345/.367/.655 (1.022) 3 HR
Last 14 days .315/.327/.593 (.920), 5 HR
Last 30 days: .346/.376.583 (.963) 7 HR

At Home: .329/.353/.518 (.970) 10 HR, 37 RBI

Second half (34 games): .343/.370/.591 (.961) 9 HR, 23 RBI
His stat paces from the 34-game second half over a full 162 are:

43 HR
110 RBI
96 R
223 H

His second-half stats, projected out, are on par with the greatest season ever by a catcher, approaching Bench/Perez power, and shattering the 203 hits Joe Torre recorded in 1970, the most ever by a catcher

The difficult part of projecting a catcher to a 162 game season is that they never get close. A fill season is probably like 130-140.
When those are your 162 game projections you do. If he wouldn't have started off so horrid, he would have a lot more games played. Catch him 4/5 games and dh him 1/5, giving Yordan the field on those Framber days. Maybe dh him a few extra times here and there to not wear him out, and then only miss a few days to fully scheduled off -days.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Best pitching staff in the league this month
Aug Stats

All
4.1 WAR (2nd)
2.78 ERA (1st)
3.14 FIP (2nd)
3.48 xFIP (3rd)
3.41 SIERA (3rd)

SP
3.6 WAR (1st)
2.68 ERA (1st)
2.90 FIP (1st)
3.03 xFIP (2nd)
3.21 SIERA (2nd)
127.2 IP (2nd)

RP
0.5 WAR (17th)
2.96 ERA (2nd)
4.01 FIP (17th)
4.30 xFIP (24th)
3.82 SIERA (19th)
70.0 IP (24th)

We've been pretty dang elite on the bump in Aug. The Starters are shining. Not only pitching well but pitching deep into ballgames compared to the rest of the league.

Mr President Elect
AG
tjack16 said:

Playoffs

Starters go 5-6 innings.
Neris 6th
Abreu 7th
Pressly 8th
Hader 9th

If the starter goes through 6 or 7, then play the matchups the rest of the way until Hader
I'm going to need lots of alcohol this playoff season. I know on paper they have done their job, but all of them take turns stressing me tf out.
AggieJ2002
AG

Me speaking to Dana about Kuchi right now
tjack16
AG
Mr President Elect said:

tjack16 said:

Playoffs

Starters go 5-6 innings.
Neris 6th
Abreu 7th
Pressly 8th
Hader 9th

I'm going to need lots of alcohol this playoff season. I know on paper they have done their job, but all of them take turns stressing me tf out.

Same except Hader with a lead I feel great about. Hader in a tie game I dont
htxag09
AG
tjack16 said:

Mr President Elect said:

tjack16 said:

Playoffs

Starters go 5-6 innings.
Neris 6th
Abreu 7th
Pressly 8th
Hader 9th

Looking through his recent outings....

In his last 5 non save opportunities (since 7/27), he has 3 wins, one of which he threw 2 innings, and only 1 game in which he gave up an ER (3 against the Pirates, only game he even gave up a hit in).
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
25-year-old with a .649 OPS in SL this year.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Just think if we hadn't gone out and acquired Hader and were still relying on Pressly as our closer.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
spadilly
S
Did Altuve sleep crooked?
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

Get one back, lose another. Hopefully just a scheduled rest after a night game yesterday.
tjack16
AG
Altuve out a 2nd time in 6 games?
Daddy-O5
AG
spadilly said:

Did Altuve sleep crooked?
Damn gremlins
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Any bruise? Dont want him out until December
Beau Holder
AG
htxag09 said:

tjack16 said:

Mr President Elect said:

tjack16 said:

Playoffs

Starters go 5-6 innings.
Neris 6th
Abreu 7th
Pressly 8th
Hader 9th

Looking through his recent outings....

In his last 5 non save opportunities (since 7/27), he has 3 wins, one of which he threw 2 innings, and only 1 game in which he gave up an ER (3 against the Pirates, only game he even gave up a hit in).
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

Beat40 said:

Quote:

A man of your word.

My reaction was WTF mainly because my only knowledge of him was when we played Seattle (or Toronto). And since we mostly beat the crap out of Seattle we mostly beat the crap out of Kikuchi.

The problem is that isnt a measure of a pitcher in general.
Faustus
Farmer1906 said:

25-year-old with a .649 OPS in SL this year.
He's going to fit right in.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2024.shtml
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

No. Not Montero. Not this BS again.
iamtheglove
EastCoastAgNc said:

Would love to see Whitley get the look.
W
AG
Kikuchi has been very good thru his 5 starts

the "innings eater" label was a bit of a stretch however
W
AG
.650 OPS guys never get hurt
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

So a guy no one in baseball wanted a month ago and bench bat who can't hit.

Awesome reinforcements.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
First Page Last Page
Page 1502 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.