***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,275,797 Views | 60178 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by Farmer1906
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Every time I watch that Dubon catch I'm amazed even more. Whatd they say he covered? 130'?
Savant has it at 126', 6.2 seconds of opportunity time, and a 55% catch probability (3*). But that doesn't factor in the wall.
aftershock
agdaddy04 said:

Every time I watch that Dubon catch I'm amazed even more. Whatd they say he covered? 130'?

Yea I think I saw where they said he was running a little over 29ft/sec (~20mph)…. And it didn't look like pulled up that much before hitting the wall. Love the dedication, but he's gotta be feeling that this morning.
AgLA06
AG
jkag89 said:

It's Science!
cc10106
Dubie would likely be playing pro soccer somewhere now if not for baseball. One of the best athletes on the team.
Wabs
AG
SIAP

The Porkchop Express
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Some sensational Yainer Diaz

Last 7 days: .345/.367/.655 (1.022) 3 HR
Last 14 days .315/.327/.593 (.920), 5 HR
Last 30 days: .346/.376.583 (.963) 7 HR

At Home: .329/.353/.518 (.970) 10 HR, 37 RBI

Second half (34 games): .343/.370/.591 (.961) 9 HR, 23 RBI
His stat paces from the 34-game second half over a full 162 are:

43 HR
110 RBI
96 R
223 H

His second-half stats, projected out, are on par with the greatest season ever by a catcher, approaching Bench/Perez power, and shattering the 203 hits Joe Torre recorded in 1970, the most ever by a catcher

The difficult part of projecting a catcher to a 162 game season is that they never get close. A fill season is probably like 130-140.
Thanks Mrs. Maldonado
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Mr.Ackar07
Wabs said:

SIAP

Why does Kyle Tucker have 2 rings?
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

Speaking of a possible sweep: The Astros allowed 13 runs in this 4 game series; 10 of those runs came on 3 hits. 1) Grand Slam to take the lead; 2) Bases clearing double to take the lead (only runs allowed in the game), 3) 3-Run Home Run to tie the game at the time.

That is insane.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Maybe one of them is a healing ring for his leg?
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Maybe one of them is a healing ring for his leg?
+3 (months) Ring of Crippling
Bobcat-Ag
Ouch!

Not trying to downplay the numbers as I'm really excited for what Diaz has turned into. The dudes is a really good catcher. Arguably the best in the league. Just pointing out the projects have to account for the extra days off that a catcher typically gets.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Wabs
AG
Y'all think Whitley will get a call up before the end of the season? Seems to be doing really right now...
Booma94
AG
Neris looked good in his first appearance. Neris-Abreu-Hader was a solid combo yesterday. If Neris comes in and displays 2023 form, I wonder where Pressley's struggles have him slotted when he returns.
All I do is Nguyen
Booma94 said:

Neris looked good in his first appearance. Neris-Abreu-Hader was a solid combo yesterday. If Neris comes in and displays 2023 form, I wonder where Pressley's struggles have him slotted when he returns.
Honestly I think Pressly, would simply give the other guys a day off
cc10106
I don't see Pressly getting demoted from his spot(s) in the pen when he returns.
Project Gemini
AG
Neris can take a few appearances off of Abreu so his arm doesnt fall off. I dont see Pressly getting demoted either.
htxag09
AG
After one appearance we're demoting Pressly for a guy that just got cut mid-season by another team?!
JDUB08AG
AG
htxag09 said:

After one appearance we're demoting Pressly for a guy that just got cut mid-season by another team?!
You new here?
Booma94
AG
htxag09 said:

It was a hypothetical question supposing Neris is able to return to 2023 form and Pressley is in April/August 2024 form. You've seen Pressley prior to his IL stint, correct?
htxag09
AG
Booma94 said:

htxag09 said:

It was a hypothetical question assuming Neris is in 2023 form and Pressley is in April/August 2024 form. You've seen Pressley prior to his IL stint, correct?
You saw Neris prior to being cut, correct?
Booma94
AG
htxag09 said:

Booma94 said:

htxag09 said:

It was a hypothetical question assuming Neris is in 2023 form and Pressley is in April/August 2024 form. You've seen Pressley prior to his IL stint, correct?
You saw Neris prior to being cut, correct?
Yes. His stats in non-save situations were pretty solid.
wangus12
AG
Wabs said:

Y'all think Whitley will get a call up before the end of the season? Seems to be doing really right now...
The Prince that was Promised!
Daddy-O5
AG
htxag09 said:

As the self-proclaimed Captain of the Don Hector fan club, I don't think he looked that great last night. Couple of really hard-hit balls, and a couple of meatballs I thought he got away with. Took a damn near miraculous catch by Dubon to get him out of the inning clean.

He did have the nasty splitter going for his strikeout. Hopefully signs he's still got it in him. I'll choose to remain optimistic.
BeaumontAg05
AG
To me, Neris doesn't have to be 2023 level to be a big help. Obviously that's ideal, but more than that think of how many times we just need to get to the 7th and let those 3 pitch. He's replacing all those triple A guys that we have, and he has big game playoff experience. He is a very low risk signing to me, because we aren't signing him to be our setup man or closer. Like last night, he played a huge role in the game.
Beat40
Wabs said:

I've been thinking he'll be a September call up. No inside source of course, but would make sense to me.
AgLA06
AG
BeaumontAg05 said:

Obviously that's ideal, but more than that think of how many times we just need to get to the 7th 6th and let those 3 4 pitch.
Starters just need to get us 5 in the playoffs.

Neris-Abreu-Pressly-Hader
tjack16
AG
Playoffs

Starters go 5-6 innings.
Neris 6th
Abreu 7th
Pressly 8th
Hader 9th

If the starter goes through 6 or 7, then play the matchups the rest of the way until Hader
TRM
AG
Wabs said:

I assume that Pressley will just take the 14th pitching spot when September expanded rosters come. King and Abreu are the only guys in the pen with options left, so does he'll only come up if they think he's better than having a lefty in the pen.
All I do is Nguyen
Beat40
AgLA06 said:

BeaumontAg05 said:

Obviously that's ideal, but more than that think of how many times we just need to get to the 7th 6th and let those 3 4 pitch.
Starters just need to get us 5 in the playoffs.

Neris-Abreu-Pressly-Hader
Honestly, if Kikuchi gives the team 5 innings of what he's doing now during the regular season, he's 100% my pick over Spencer for the 4th spot. He's been damn good, and that would be all I would expect of him for a postseasons start.
Beat40
Beat40 said:

I'm warming up the oven on the Kikuchi trade.

If he keeps giving the Astros these types of starts, they are perfect for a 4th starting pitching spot if the Astros are fortunate to make it to the postseason.
Well, Farmer, the bird is cooked and tastes delicious.

Not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.
Mathguy64
AG
Assuming we make it, and there is still a long way to go, we will have a massive luxury at SP.

Framber, HB, JV, Kikuchi, Ron White and Spencer. 6 deep. Joe can afford to pull someone quick and not wreck his pen.

I think Kikuchi and either Ron White or Spencer will be set as a tandem. Give me 4 plus out of both and neither go more than twice through the lineup.

In a 3 or 5 game series, one or maybe two of these guys wont make the roster.
tjack16
AG
Beat40 said:

Beat40 said:

If he keeps giving the Astros these types of starts, they are perfect for a 4th starting pitching spot if the Astros are fortunate to make it to the postseason.

I was dead wrong on Kikuchi. I was convinced he would only be a "well he ate some innings for us" guy, (basically what Odorizzi did) and not give us much of quality. Glad to be wrong so far
Quo Vadis?
tjack16 said:

Beat40 said:

Beat40 said:

I was dead wrong on Kikuchi. I was convinced he would only be a "well he ate some innings for us" guy, (basically what Odorizzi did) and not give us much of quality. Glad to be wrong so far
I'm hoping we can sign his ass for 3 more years at less than $40mm. I think his going to be a sub 4 ERA inning eater.
First Page Last Page
Page 1501 of 1720

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.