***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,295,836 Views | 60477 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Mathguy64
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

What is a Pena regression? He's been about the same all 3 seasons. He had a hot steak in the 2022 postseason.

We've called up a few other very good players in the last few years. Abreu, Javier, & Chas before 2024.

Yainer is only 25 has racked up 800+ PA with a 121 wRC+ the last 2 seasons. Seems pretty legit to me.
Yeah he just isn't very good. Should be a 7 or 8 hole guy.
tjack16
AG
Pena is a serviceable MLB shortstop. He won't be a silver slugger type, but he's solid.

I think he will be solid through his first 6 years and then we let him walk.

Diaz could be somebody I'd be okay with locking down longer term like the Braves have done with their young guys
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne
Faustus said:

Harry Dunne said:

Dirty Mike and the Boys said:

Spaghetti and Denzenzo both having career days has to have put the front office from 6 to midnight. Obviously it's wayyyy too early, but lots of cap space, aka Tuck dollars, gets freed up every time these guys decide they're for real big leaguers.
Every time they say our farm system is depleted, we call up a couple of studs.
I'd say we call up players who turn out to be unexpectedly decent to average MLB players as far as those that came up in the last 3-4 years and play the most. Our last wave of "studs" were Alvarez and Tucker (and Framber if you put him with them) who have either signed a FA contract or are on the last vestiges of team control.

For every day players only Tucker and Alvarez have an OPS over .800 which you'd like to see for stud status with the bat. Yainer could improve to be amongst the best at his position, but it's more likely he sees a Pena regression.
Cold take on Yainer.

Injuries aside, we have a ton of good young starting pitchers. My definition of "stud" might not be as strict as yours, but I'm pretty pleased with the guys we've got.

Obviously, the core of our team is a result of tanking/great drafting pre-2020, but not many organizations have brought up as many good young players as we have in the last four years. Especially organizations whose farm systems supposedly sucked the whole time.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The organization (recently, post-penalty era) has been much stronger at developing pitching than they have been at developing position players. Yanier came through trade and his offensive tools were pretty well developed already. Looking at the results in the minors this year, hopefully it's a sign that we're fixing some of the offensive development issues and some of these guys will come up and make big offensive impacts.
linkdude
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The dodgers and all that money
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
linkdude
AG
DH Tuve, 2B Dubon gives a lot of interesting PH opportunities! Finally
BadAggie
AG
Today's lines

W
AG
Dezenzo up to the 6-hole
EastCoastAgNc
AG

davidthomps18
Love the lineup! Peña needs a rest soon though!
texasaggie2015
AG
Faustus
Farmer1906 said:

What is a Pena regression? He's been about the same all 3 seasons. He had a hot steak in the 2022 postseason.

We've called up a few other very good players in the last few years. Abreu, Javier, & Chas before 2024.

Yainer is only 25 has racked up 800+ PA with a 121 wRC+ the last 2 seasons. Seems pretty legit to me.

Peña had a 5.0 bWAR in 2022, 3.8 in 2023, and sits at 2.6 this season with around 6-7 weeks to play.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/penaje02.shtml

I love our players, and Yainer has been one of the bright spots for the season. I guess I was just putting "studs" (the post I quoted) on a different level than above average (decent) players.

Yainer has a 1.8 fWAR and 2.3 bWAR, and he's hit 12 less home runs than last season despite having 56 more plate appearances. Bregman has a better fWAR and a similar bWAR. Fangraphs has him tied in WAR with Jake. It's a decent season, not one that screams he's a stud like Tucker and Avarez.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/war?lg=&teamid=21

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2024.shtml
MaxPower
Powell kid is already raking for the Woodpeckers. Looks like he might be a steal.
RC_57
AG
I really like the way Clanton had the music timed so the snare drum hit was synced to the strikes.
Farmer1906
AG
That's primarily due to defense and base running. Yainer is the clear superior hitter and looks to have room to grow. If he improves as a pitch framer he'll be a regular 3-4 WAR player.
astros4545
AG
Angels may be bringing up Christian Moore from Tennessee in the next couple weeks

He is absolutely obliterating AA
MaxPower
astros4545 said:

Angels may be bringing up Christian Moore from Tennessee in the next couple weeks

He is absolutely obliterating AA
Very Angels thing to do. How did that work out last year?
redline248
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Didn't Yainer have a faster pop, last year?
Faustus
Fair enough and I hope so.

Let's get the W.
Beau Holder
AG
Paxton walks everyone. Hope we let him.
Beau Holder
AG
Nope, two outs after two pitches.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder said:

Paxton walks everyone. Hope we let him.

Or... Ya know... The opposite
AgSportsFan89
AG
Paxton down after trying to cover 1st. Wow. He's coming out
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Paxton is done for the day after that... Yikes, not good for them the day after a bullpen day
mwm
I hate that he's hurt but Paxton has a history of being tough on us.
CFTXAG10
AG
One more day at Fenway. Got my broom ready
LB12Diamond
AG
What happened to Boston's pitcher?
Post removed:
by user
wessimo
AG
Uhhh, Mattress Mack... something you (don't) want to tell us??
Beau Holder
AG
LB12Diamond said:

What happened to Boston's pitcher?

Looked like a calf strain or Achilles.
Beau Holder
AG
Four outs on 13 pitches for Sims with the Sox bullpen tired and pressed back into action.
First Page Last Page
Page 1352 of 1728

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.