***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,273,653 Views | 60151 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by agdaddy04
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

July hasn't been that kind to a lot of our hitters. Thank goodness for Yordan, Pena and Bregman. Chas's game yesterday shot his wRC+ up about 54 points

It hasn't been great, but it also grades out as our most unlucky month. Hopefully, we see a bit of a bounceback soon.

Month - wOBA / xwOBA (Diff)
Mar/Apr - .328 / .331 (-.003)
May - .311 / .315 (-.004)
June - .337 / .327 (.010)
July - .305 / .323 (-.018)
MaxPower
Sher Thing said:

What would a hypothetical trade for Paredes and/or Fairbanks look like? Loperfido would certainly need to be included no?
Hard to say. We have seen the Rays trade guys that were thought of as high end prospects for seemingly under market value (Manzardo for Civale and the Arozerena trades come to mind). Similar to 2015's comments, they have their own evaluations of players. My dream trade would be to get Paredes and Springs.

How much I would give up depends on our strategy going forward. I'm more willing to trade Matthews if we are committed to extending Tucker. Especially if you get Paredes, I think you can build an offense around Altuve, Tucker, Yordan, Paredes and Yanier with bargain bin free agents and mid range prospects.
Mathguy64
AG
Our July 1B production. Find someone Dana. Please don't go 2 more months and try to go into the playoffs doing this.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
On MLB network, Mark Feinsand discussing AL west trades, links seattle to Yandy Diaz and us to Fedde.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm told Seattle is going to be very, very aggressive and will likely add two bats. And they'll overpay if they need to.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
As crazy as it sounds, I don't think two bats even come close to fixing their problems.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Sher Thing
AG
I could see the Astros going for Fedde. Would be a lot cheaper than some of those other high end starters and would complete a solid 5 man rotation. Especially if they are also pursuing a 1B replacement like Paredes.
texasaggie2015
AG
From what I understand, everything is kind of in a stand still right now because there's a handful of teams that are still undecided on if they want to sell. I think this will be the new norm with the expanded playoff.

Best case for Houston (and other buyers) is that those fringe teams lose the next few games and the market widens a good bit. Right now the market is pretty slim. The wider the market, the more the asking prices will come down.
cc10106
Some team needs to fleece Seattle for one of their starters.
Marvin
AG
spadilly said:

Mose Schrute said:

Anyone know which game Skenes is slated to pitch?
Trying to make it to a game next week.

I believe Monday would be his regular day in the rotation, but still showing as TBD
https://www.mlb.com/pirates/roster/probable-pitchers

I bought tix for Monday night, so I hope he stays on schedule!

And they are still relatively cheap, so pull the trigger as soon as you know.
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The mention of our Dynasty got me thinking, what has been the single biggest factor? I pulled the WAR from 2017 to 2024.

During this time our WAR has been 369.2. I looked at everyone with at least a 3 WAR during that time (33 players).

Here is the breakdown:

Aquired - WAR
Draft - 132.2
Trade - 95.2
Int Signing - 81.8
FA Signing - 17.6
Waiver Claim - 6.1

It is probably safe to say the draft is the highest for most teams. I would guess that no one has hit international signings like we have or had success of hitting the jackpot on trades. (JV, Cole, Yordan, Pressly).

One thing that does stand out if the lack of FA signings. Have we just sucked at acquiring new players from other orgs on the open market? Or is that a flawed way of doing business? We all know it is the most expensive way of doing business. This makes me want to make some splash trades for multiyears even more now.

Just for ****s & giggles here are the bottom 5.
Nivaldo Rodriguez
Joe Biagini
Robel Garcia
Carlos Beltran
Jose Abreu (dead last)
Would be interesting to see the WAR on the guys we traded away over that same time period. Did we make good trades?
Not all have worked out, but we have made some extremely lopsided trades. The JV (first time) & Yordan ones were massively unfair. Even the Cole one worked out nicely and we gave up some solid pieces. Pressly was a steal. No one should be mad at the ZG one. Some others less impressive, but I can't think of a trade outside of Hader-Gomez/Ratface where we got the bad end by a longshot. Mancini-McDermott may end up hurting and the 2nd JV trade too. Those are TBD.

You could put Liriano for Teoscar with the Mancini-McDermott trade. But -- I still make both of those. Both players had key parts in the championships.
agproducer
AG
MaxPower
Tells me two things. First, they want Cole getting regular PT in CF in AA. Two, Joey is staying in the bigs because there are a lot of OF in AAA now.
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The mention of our Dynasty got me thinking, what has been the single biggest factor? I pulled the WAR from 2017 to 2024.

During this time our WAR has been 369.2. I looked at everyone with at least a 3 WAR during that time (33 players).

Here is the breakdown:

Aquired - WAR
Draft - 132.2
Trade - 95.2
Int Signing - 81.8
FA Signing - 17.6
Waiver Claim - 6.1

It is probably safe to say the draft is the highest for most teams. I would guess that no one has hit international signings like we have or had success of hitting the jackpot on trades. (JV, Cole, Yordan, Pressly).

One thing that does stand out if the lack of FA signings. Have we just sucked at acquiring new players from other orgs on the open market? Or is that a flawed way of doing business? We all know it is the most expensive way of doing business. This makes me want to make some splash trades for multiyears even more now.

Nivaldo Rodriguez
Joe Biagini
Robel Garcia
Carlos Beltran
Jose Abreu (dead last)
Would be interesting to see the WAR on the guys we traded away over that same time period. Did we make good trades?
Not all have worked out, but we have made some extremely lopsided trades. The JV (first time) & Yordan ones were massively unfair. Even the Cole one worked out nicely and we gave up some solid pieces. Pressly was a steal. No one should be mad at the ZG one. Some others less impressive, but I can't think of a trade outside of Hader-Gomez/Ratface where we got the bad end by a longshot. Mancini-McDermott may end up hurting and the 2nd JV trade too. Those are TBD.

You could put Liriano for Teoscar with the Mancini-McDermott trade. But -- I still make both of those. Both players had key parts in the championships.
Good call. We basically gave up on Teoscar. He ended up with ~10 WAR in TOR.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Here is the breakdown:

Aquired - WAR
Draft - 132.2
Trade - 95.2
Int Signing - 81.8
FA Signing - 17.6
Waiver Claim - 6.1

Nivaldo Rodriguez
Joe Biagini
Robel Garcia
Carlos Beltran
Jose Abreu (dead last)

Good call. We basically gave up on Teoscar. He ended up with ~10 WAR in
Teoscar has had a nice career so far -- 2X All-Star, 2X Silver Slugger and recent HR Derby champ.

I didn't realize his career WAR is over 15.
texasaggie2015
AG
MaxPower said:

Tells me two things. First, they want Cole getting regular PT in CF in AA. Two, Joey is staying in the bigs because there are a lot of OF in AAA now.

Zach Cole is trending up really fast
Mathguy64
AG
MaxPower said:

Joey is staying in the bigs because Tucker is still weeks away.

And speaking of Joey, he's doing what rookies do and that is struggle. This is his July.

He's been a little unlucky but still, Tucker needs to get his artificial leg attached yesterday.
CFTXAG10
AG
I think the waiting game is going to benefit us in the long run
astros4545
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

MaxPower said:

Hmmm
His AA stats don't blow me away at all
He's also 23
texasaggie2015
AG
Massive improvement with his approach at the plate and he's elite defensively.
redline248
AG
astros4545 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

MaxPower said:

Hmmm
His AA stats don't blow me away at all
He's also 23
He looks like he's got some power. Just watched a couple of his oppo homers that were kind of surprising based on the swings
Farmer1906
AG

Does this take him off the market?
Farmer1906
AG

hahaha dumbasses
Hornbeck
Farmer1906
AG
Altuve on track for the HOF.

Cooperstown Notebook

Quote:

After suffering a broken right thumb in the World Baseball Classic last year, Altuve played just 90 games, though he wielded a potent bat, hitting for a 154 wRC+. The pint-sized 34-year-old is back down to a more representative 129 wRC+ (.304/.350/.452), but unlike so many of his teammates, he's been healthy all season, totaling 14 homers and 15 steals in 98 games. He's been uncharacteristically free-swinging; his 39% chase rate is over eight percentage points ahead of last year and represents his highest mark since his 2011 rookie season. His 5.8% walk rate is about five points below last year and is his lowest mark since 2015, while his 19.4% strikeout rate is a career high.

While it's not a typical Altuve season, he's making progress towards Cooperstown. He's projected to reach the 40-WAR peak mark this year, and would leapfrog 2025 candidates Dustin Pedroia and Ian Kinsler to move into 19th in JAWS if he matches the above projection. He just made his ninth All-Star team; only eight second basemen have been selected more often. He's run his hit total to 2,170, and at last check had ZiPS odds for 3,000 that were higher than any player beside Freeman. The further we get from the Astros' sign-stealing scandal, the less it seems likely to affect his Hall chances, particularly given reports that he rejected the help provided by the trash can signaling system. Between that and the absence of contemporary second basemen who could gain entry (Kinsler, Pedroia, and twice-suspended Robinson Can), he's got an open lane to Cooperstown so long as he can stay on the field.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

What does "extension" mean? Is he wanting extra money in a contract extension or is that referring to extending him in terms of IP?
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

What does "extension" mean? Is he wanting extra money in a contract extension or is that referring to extending him in terms of IP?

I assume it means he wants a longer term guaranteed deal to protect him from a potential injury by pitching beyond what was planning to.

Kind of like Hader. He only wanted 3 out, save outings and not multi inning or a bunch back to back outings since he was still in arb and hadn't gotten big money. Crane took care of him and now he will to pitch in more stressful (on the arm) situations since he's going to get his 95 M.

Crochet had only made 7.4 M in his career. If he blows his arm out this year or next year, he can kiss a mega deal good bye. I 100% understand why he's doing it.
tylhair
AG
Does Heyman just mean, he would need to extend the amount of games needed to pitch from the end of the regular season to include the postseason?

Or is he talking about a contract extension?

Heyman is very unserious.
spadilly
S

Off days…

Ag_07
AG
So for him to pitch this year into Oct for a contender he wants a contract extension for future years?

Yeah...Enjoy playing for the cellar dwellers.
Farmer1906
AG
He already had TJ. It is his first full season as a starter. He has an innings limit and the Sox have been keeping his outings shorter so he doesn't reach that limit in Aug. A contender will need him to blow past the innings limit. He's worried about overextending and turning into LMJ or Strasberg.
Ag_07
AG
And? Every pitcher in this game is worried about turning into LMJ.

If he wants those assurances he can enjoy playing on the White Sox. Playing into Oct won't be an issue for them for a while so he should be ecstatic.

It's insane to ask for an extension for future years or you won't pitch into the postseason for this year.
redline248
AG
There has to be a balance between the desire to compete on a contender, and the desire to have a fairly long career. Knowing his injury history, I don't have a problem with his request.

I also don't have a problem with any team that says "no thanks"
First Page Last Page
Page 1161 of 1719

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.