***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,279,265 Views | 60224 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by txags92
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Angles win
Chef Elko
AG
Good job Halos
Twisted Helix
C'mon BlackSox
txags92
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

the MLBPA thinks the change will help teams spend more on players.
Zero chance

End blackout rules and more people will buy your stupid mlbtv package and you'll have more tv revenue to share with teams.

Why is this so hard?
Why is it so hard for the teams to just sell unlimited access to their games over a streaming platform? Why do I have to pay $80+/month to get a bunch of things I don't want just to be able to watch astros games? I should be able to pay $~10/month directly to the astros and they would probably still come out ahead.
gambochaman
AG
Because it makes too much sense
Mathguy64
AG
If you had the Angels and A's winning 5 of 6 the last three days, take a bow.

Seattle is in full on free fall with no parachute.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
The problem is they won't come out ahead. They know that the current model is dying, but the cable/bundle model is more lucrative than streaming/elective purchase.

They want to squeeze every last drop (dollar) out of an inferior, antiquated product before the market forces them to adopt a better model that will be less profitable.
txags92
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

The problem is they won't come out ahead. They know that the current model is dying, but the cable/bundle model is more lucrative than streaming/elective purchase.

They want to squeeze every last drop (dollar) out of an inferior, antiquated product before the market forces them to adopt a better model that will be less profitable.
I would be shocked if they get more than a dollar a subscriber from Fubo and probably significantly less than that. They can still let people get it through Fubo too if they want to be bundled like that, but right now, they are getting nothing from a large number of people like me who are not going to pay $80/month for a lackluster channel lineup just so I can watch the astros. I would gladly pay a monthly fee directly to the Astros if it were reasonable.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
And Crawford is out 4-6 weeks. Not sure how long Jrod will be down.
aggie813
Really sucks that we could have been 3 games up instead of 1 on Seattle. Astros aren't helping their cause.
htxag09
AG
How many games would we be up if we were 102-0?!
cc10106
Doyers gonna get a beatin' this weekend
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Whether it is a traditional bundle or even a streaming bundle, the issue is they make a lot more money off of a model in which all subscribers pay than they do in when it is an elective purchase for team fans.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ciboag96
Ciboag96 said:

We're going to get swept by the A's, aren't we
No, you giant p*****
txags92
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Whether it is a traditional bundle or even a streaming bundle, the issue is they make a lot more money off of a model in which all subscribers pay than they do in when it is an elective purchase for team fans.
So why not work out a deal to do both? Plenty of people don't want to do their service piecemeal and prefer to be bundled. Let them stay with Fubo. For people who don't want all the extra channels, let them pay the astros directly. Or alternately, sign a contract to make your games available on a channel that is carried by more than one bundling service. It is freaking dumb for the Astros to sell their games to only be allowed on a channel that is only carried on one streaming service.
Project Gemini
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If you had the Angels and A's winning 5 of 6 the last three days, take a bow.

Seattle is in full on free fall with no parachute.
Unfortunately this may mean a new regime that isnt mired in mediocrity up there
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Angles win
And they low balled Prager so he comes back to A&M. I don't think I've ever loved the Angels more than today!
Prosperdick
AG
aggie813 said:

Really sucks that we could have been 3 games up instead of 1 on Seattle. Astros aren't helping their cause.
WE'RE IN FIRST PLACE!!!! Enjoy it. Do you remember April? Hell, we were 12-24 in May.
jetch17
AG
Ranglers pulling their puds thinking they're going to swoop in and overtake
Beau Holder
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

That's tough. It's been good seeing him return to form and they're a fun team that would be sneaky to challenge the Dodgers and Phillies.
Farmer1906
AG
I didn't realize just how well he was doing. He's 3-4-5ing it.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Flexen pitching for the White Sox and getting hit around pretty good. We sure we want this guy?
Farmer1906
AG
Who said anything about wanting Flexen?
linkdude
AG
Beau Holder
AG
linkdude said:

I like this
iamtheglove
Twisted Helix said:

What does losing TV revenue mean? I'm all for flogging NY and LA but this seems like wealth transfer.

This is all about the regional networks basically going into the red due to the collapse of the pay tv ecosystem (cable and satellite). I worked in this industry (RSNs) for most of my career.

The pay tv ecosystem is about 50% in terms of subscribers of what it was 20 years ago. All of that money is gone meaning the RSN rights deals which were historically long term (10plus years) are all money losing now.

The old Fox regions are in bankruptcy proceedings which results in lower rights payments to teams. Where the RSN was sold to the team(s) in each territory the team is now absorbing the lost revenue.

I assume this idea from MLB is to attempt to address it, especially for the hardest hit teams which are in the smaller markets, the same group which benefits from the salary tax redistribution. Large market RSNs like NY, Boston, Chicago, LA are still in the black but their RSNs are headed in the same direction as the smaller markets
iamtheglove
txags92 said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

the MLBPA thinks the change will help teams spend more on players.
Zero chance

End blackout rules and more people will buy your stupid mlbtv package and you'll have more tv revenue to share with teams.

Why is this so hard?
Why is it so hard for the teams to just sell unlimited access to their games over a streaming platform? Why do I have to pay $80+/month to get a bunch of things I don't want just to be able to watch astros games? I should be able to pay $~10/month directly to the astros and they would probably still come out ahead.

The leagues have to protect the national rights deals. The can't create defacto national deals for each team without opening up their national deals. Even with the collapse of the cable and satellite ecosystem the rev generated from direct to consumer will significantly less than from the now smaller cable/sat distribution.
iamtheglove
txags92 said:

SpaceCityAg05 said:

So why not work out a deal to do both? Plenty of people don't want to do their service piecemeal and prefer to be bundled. Let them stay with Fubo. For people who don't want all the extra channels, let them pay the astros directly. Or alternately, sign a contract to make your games available on a channel that is carried by more than one bundling service. It is freaking dumb for the Astros to sell their games to only be allowed on a channel that is only carried on one streaming service.

Short answer is the cable and satellite deals have MFNs such that any tiering or similar opportunities you offer streaming would then apply to cable satellite. They (C&S) would love to unbundle RSNs but keeping that intact still generates more rev than an unbundled ecosystem
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

Oppo taco
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Pretty sure he was on a list Chandler put out
Harry Dunne
It has been delightful watching that whiny bish Gerrit Cole get thumped this season.

The Yankees might have won 120 games if he was in peak form this season.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Why are you always flexen nuts?
First Page Last Page
Page 1159 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.