***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,218,943 Views | 59160 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by wangus12
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mock Draft Season

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-mock-draft-1-0/

Quote:

28. Houston Astros
Pick: Tyson Lewis, SS, Millard West HS (NE)
Like the Rays, the Astros have an analytical reputation but tend to draft for tools more than statistical performance, and Lewis has those. As I began sourcing on these picks later in the round, the Lewis/Astros pairing was the first that emerged.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5629426/2024/07/11/mlb-mock-draft-2024-prospects-travis-bazzana/

Quote:

28. Houston Astros: Walker Janek, C, Sam Houston State

I've primarily heard Houston with college bats the last few weeks, which could be Janek, Malcolm Moore, White, or Burke, while on the prep side I've heard them a bunch with Lewis and Johnson.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10127898-2024-mlb-mock-draft-breaking-down-top-prospects-and-predictions
Quote:

28. Houston Astros: Jacob Cozart, C, North Carolina State

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-july-4

Quote:

28. Astros: Theo Gillen, SS/2B, Westlake HS, Texas (No. 28)

Right now, a prep infielder like Gillen might have the edge over the college catchers (Janek and Stanford's Malcolm Moore) or an infielder like Amick.
Farmer1906
AG
This is probably overdrafting, but I would love to get someone like Cortez. He's got MLB stuff right now. He could contribute early. I wouldn't mind someone like Cijntje too. If he gets TJ, he can just use the other arm. Smith & Burns will be looooooong gone before we get a shot at either of the top SPs. Brody Brecht would be a fun project. He fits the bill of high ceiling yet somewhat of a project that Dana likes. If not an arm, I want a corner INF with some pop. Tommy White (can he stick at 3B), Billy Amick, or Cam Smith would all be awesome.
Beat40
I'd like to get Cortez too. The tendency to be wild is there, but his stuff is MLB electric. I agree with you that he could come in and be able to contribute in September if needed to save an arm or two.

He would definitely be able to contribute sometime next year.
MaxPower
There are a lot of appealing arms after the first round (Cortez being one) but bats you feel good about are sparse. The college bat class starts to fizzle out before we pick with a lot of power bats with questionable hit tools and defensive profiles. I suspect we go with a high school hitter. Gillen makes sense if he's there. Morlando makes sense as well. He dropped this year from possibly being top ten but part of that was pitchers simply wouldn't pitch to him all spring.
Hornbeck
AG
I see a lot of draft projections with Cortez in the 70s or 80s. With us not having a pick in the second round, that's going to be tough. Maybe Cortez is still on the board when the Astros pick 101 or 131, but who knows.
Booma94
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Still no power in my neighborhood. This is getting quite ridiculous
Could be worse. You could be in a small cluster of houses that don't have power when the rest of your neighborhood does and Centerpoint is like "yeah, we'll get there when we get there".
texasaggie2015
AG
That's basically what's happening so yeah. I get it
Marvin
AG
07ag said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Still no power in my neighborhood. This is getting quite ridiculous
you, me, and 1.1 million Houstonians feel the same way

Just landed back in Houston and I'm not happy that Centerpointless couldn't figure all this out before I returned. Mrs. Marvin talked to some crews in the Tomball area and they said hopefully tomorrow. Oh well, guess I'll be sitting on a barstool somewhere tonight watching the Astros in the air conditioning. Darn the luck! Haha.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
BadAggie
AG
Special dirty naked picture of chicks for Ranger fans and Hall Monitor Ag below.

MaxPower
Corey Collins from Georgia is an example of a bat only kind of guy you can get in the 4th or 5th. Senior so easy sign and had monster numbers in the SEC.
texasaggie2015
AG

The kid is still very very young. Hasn't even turned 19 yet. They love him. He throws bullpens about once a week or so as well, but the primary focus is hitting.
texasaggie2015
AG
As far as the draft goes I expect them to draft a college bat in the first round they can sign under slot value and use the extra cash to draft a high upside HS kid in a later round and sign him above slot value. Much like they did last year with Jaworsky and Ochoa. An arm is possible as well but I 100% expect it to be a college kid.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

As far as the draft goes I expect them to draft a college bat in the first round they can sign under slot value and use the extra cash to draft a high upside HS kid in a later round and sign him above slot value. Much like they did last year with Jaworsky and Ochoa. An arm is possible as well but I 100% expect it to be a college kid.

Love it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

No yordan
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Somebody has to go down for Bloss, who's it gonna be?
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

By the way when I went to get ice cream last night, 4 of the Star girls walked out of a door right around me. It was a Top 5 play of the night.
Always take your daughters with you so you don't look like such a creep when you ask if you can take a picture
That's how I got to say hi to Daisy Ridley on a Zoom one time without it seeming like I was a Star Wars weirdo (which I obviously am)
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
All I do is Nguyen
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Project Gemini
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Is he playing catch with Verlander?
Mathguy64
AG
We won't see Tucker until August. Same for JV.
txags92
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

How about Espada?
Booma94
AG
Project Gemini said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Is he playing catch with Verlander?
He has to since McCullers isn't available...
redline248
AG
txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

How about Espada?
Best record in the bigs since June 1 or whatever and we're still bagging on the manager?
Ag_07
AG
txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

How about Espada?

Why?

He's got this team humming once we ditched Abreu and he was actually allowed to manage how he wanted.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

How about Espada?

Why?

He's got this team humming once we ditched Abreu and he was actually allowed to manage how he wanted.
I heard he had Tucker push McCullers down a flight of stairs and he landed on Verlander's neck.
txags92
AG
redline248 said:

txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

How about Espada?
Best record in the bigs since June 1 or whatever and we're still bagging on the manager?

It was a joke. I was going to put the winky face on it, but had already hit "post".
The Porkchop Express
AG
Paul Skenes: 7 no hit innings today, 1 walk, 11 K against the 54-40 Brewers.

6-0, 1.90 ERA, 89 K, 13 BB in 66.1 iP. 12.1 K/IP, 6.8:1 K/BB ratio.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
redline248 said:

txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

How about Espada?
Ill be honest with you, with Abreu gone, I don't really know who I am supposed to ***** at right now.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Olivia's boyfriend can pitch!
cc10106
Skenes better bring it if he starts here at the end of the month.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1065 of 1691

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.