***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,849,506 Views | 67323 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by AggiEE
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it has a lot to do with the emergence of Hunter Brown and Spencer Arrighetti. Those were automatic losses at one point.

You just gotta hope at least one of Garcia or LMJ is able to step in and contribute because eventually regression will happen and innings limits will be reached. Getting JV healthy would be huge as well.
Hornbeck
AG
It's gotta be more than just a crick in JV's neck at this point. If that's it, book him some chiropractor appts and get on with it. Or, send him to a massage parlor, just not the kind that's off Telephone road, if you know what I mean.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

I think a good handful of us owe Dana an apology.

Also a lot of guys here owe Espada an apology as well. They've played mostly .600-.610 ball for the whole of 2 months.

Doesn't mean they will keep it up, although I think they will.

If he's going to get vilified when they were losing, he needs to get some credit when they are actually playing good ball.
Beau Holder
AG
Bissonnet it is.
Heineken-Ashi
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Also a lot of guys here owe Espada an apology as well. They've played mostly .600-.610 ball for the whole of 2 months.

If he's going to get vilified when they were losing, he needs to get some credit when they are actually playing good ball.
Espada isn't owed squat. He's now performing, for the last couple of months, at the lower middle range of expectations for this team. The first two months couldn't have gone worse, and some of the decisions he made directly fed into how bad we were.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
n_touch
Hornbeck said:

It's gotta be more than just a crick in JV's neck at this point. If that's it, book him some chiropractor appts and get on with it. Or, send him to a massage parlor, just not the kind that's off Telephone road, if you know what I mean.
Just get Deshaun Watson's recommendation and avoid those.
agproducer
AG
Get that man some Starbucks!

Ag_07
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Espada isn't owed squat. He's now performing, for the last couple of months, at the lower middle range of expectations for this team. The first two months couldn't have gone worse, and some of the decisions he made directly fed into how bad we were.

GTFOH...How is .600 ball the lower middle range of expectations? That translates to 97 wins.

Who TF expected 97 wins to be the lower middle range of expectations?

If he's gonna get shlt for the bad he deserves praise for getting the guys on track and getting this thing moving in the right direction.
texasaggie2015
AG
My brother in Christ in what universe is a .600 winning percentage the lower end of expectations for any team?

He's a first year manager being thrown into a situation where he had to navigate a depleting pitching staff and an underperforming lineup. Nobody did him any favors. Yet here we are.

Am I an Espada fan? Not necessarily- haven't made that call. But I think the hate he gets on here is pretty unwarranted at times.
Faustus
Hornbeck said:

Or at the Houstonian, or Correa's house.

On second thought, nix the massage.
txags92
AG
Ag_07 said:

That's bit much IMO

But it's as simple as publishing their correct call percentage just like a batting average. Post em up on TV when they show the umpire crew.

When an ump goes below an agreed upon correct percentage they're demoted and someone else is called up.

Create some sense of accountability.
Yeah, but the skewing of calls for and against certain teams CONSISTENTLY needs to change. If it were a different team at the top getting the calls every year, and a different team at the bottom getting screwed, you could believe it was just random. But it isn't. And that perception that the game is stacked is what will ruin it now that we have the tools to document the bias conclusively. I stopped watching the NBA because it became a league of nothing but a few stars who were officiated completely differently than anybody else. When the announcers were comfortable saying things like "he will never get that call against a guy like LeBron", it was clear there were two different rule books for the game, and everybody was ok with it.

I would be in favor of sending the bottom 10% in accuracy down to AAA each year and promoting the top 10% from AAA to replace them.
Marvin
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Can I at least hang on my disdain for Cintron?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
bearkatag15
AG
Marvin said:

Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Don't we have the best team batting average in the MLB???
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Marvin said:

Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Lowest K% as well. Too 10 in just about everything else.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
We don't get hits every time we're at bat, so he sucks. Do better!
Sea Speed
AG
May have been discussed, but man it seems like the Astros have just been RIGHT THERE and not got some breaks. One run games been the bane of the franchise it seems.

texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Marvin said:

Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

#1 overall in my heart
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Marvin said:

Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Hard to strike out that often when you swing at the first pitch every AB.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Beau Holder said:

Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Marvin said:

Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Hard to strike out that often when you swing at the first pitch every AB.

Hornbeck
AG
n_touch said:

Hornbeck said:

Just get Deshaun Watson's recommendation and avoid those.

Good point. I just have to mop up the Dr Pepper from my desk now.
All I do is Nguyen
My player is making his comeback!!

Harry Dunne
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Annnnnnd gone, like a fart in the wind. To our in state rival, he was one of the sleaziest people I've ever heard of.
that's the key right there. Everyone was so high on him until they weren't. Most of these guys are scumbags and we just don't know about it because they're good at covering their tracks and we are good at putting them on a pedestal just because they win.

He was good at talking the Aggie talk but at the end of the day, he's just a soulless mercenary. And the only difference between him and the guy that a month ago everyone thought was the second coming of John wooden is that he showed his ass.

Unfortunately, Schlosssmiegel is not even near the worst of the bunch. He's just the one you've heard of.
iBrad
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Given how this season has gone, every time I see a tweet starting with "Astros pitcher…" I expect it to be followed with, "has a setback," "has been shut down," "will miss his next start," "is headed to the IL," etc.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
iBrad said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Given how this season has gone, every time I see a tweet starting with "Astros pitcher…" I expect it to be followed with, "has a setback," "has been shut down," "will miss his next start," "is headed to the IL," etc.

I had a similar moment of panic because I read "sent down" as "shut down"
All I do is Nguyen
Man yall gotta drink a LITTLE kool aid every once in a while. Not everything is bad all the time you know?
linkdude
AG
n_touch
Harry Dunne said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Annnnnnd gone, like a fart in the wind. To our in state rival, he was one of the sleaziest people I've ever heard of.
that's the key right there. Everyone was so high on him until they weren't. Most of these guys are scumbags and we just don't know about it because they're good at covering their tracks and we are good at putting them on a pedestal just because they win.

He was good at talking the Aggie talk but at the end of the day, he's just a soulless mercenary. And the only difference between him and the guy that a month ago everyone thought was the second coming of John wooden is that he showed his ass.

Unfortunately, Schlosssmiegel is not even near the worst of the bunch. He's just the one you've heard of.
NOT DEFENDING BAUER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This all day long. We hold these guys to a standard that behind closed doors they would not meet and probably most would shock us. It is just a matter of if it comes out or not. Some are good guys, but I would bet there are some that we think are good guys that would completely shock us.
Harry Dunne
n_touch said:

Harry Dunne said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

NOT DEFENDING BAUER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This all day long. We hold these guys to a standard that behind closed doors they would not meet and probably most would shock us. It is just a matter of if it comes out or not. Some are good guys, but I would bet there are some that we think are good guys that would completely shock us.
Agree 100%.

I have mentioned that I have a close friend who has frequent dealings with JV and has been very negative about his character. Many here were clutching their pearls when I dared to "question JV's leadership". Granted I have only heard one side of the story, and being an entitled a-hole (allegedly) is a far cry from abusing women (allegedly)...but I bet if JV's world was investigated to the scrutiny that Bauer's was, we would not like him nearly so much. Not just JV, but a LOT of these players and coaches whose status and wealth shield them from the same accountability as the common folks.

My point is not that we should take Bauer or even want Bauer. My point is that it's silly to think we know them because of the curated version of them we see.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I'm going to imagine they went in there and threw double birds at Manfred for both of their unjust suspensions
MaxPower
Should have dumped in the coffee pot
texasaggie2015
AG
I've said on here several times that JV mainly keeps to himself and isn't really present in the clubhouse.

That said, when he does talk, people listen. They respect him. But he's not some super good teammate or anything like that.

For whatever reason he's taken Arrighetti under his wing and has spent some time with him.

I haven't heard anything bad about his character personally and by all accounts he's not a bad guy- just a little entitled and has his specific way of how he wants things done. I've actually heard that him and Kate are pretty fun to be around outside of baseball... but again, I'm just hearing that secondhand.
Harry Dunne
I'm sure that's accurate. People seem to love him as a teammate. We've all had teammates we enjoyed in that role and to have a beer with, but would not have wanted to do business with, etc.
Ag_07
AG
That seems reasonable and about how I imagine him.

I imagine most long time vet future HOFers are like that to some extent.

I think that attitude goes with the territory.
Mathguy64
AG
Don't care. Got Rally Kate. Move on.
All I do is Nguyen
First Page Last Page
Page 955 of 1924

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.