***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,851,489 Views | 67331 Replies | Last: 29 min ago by Beau Holder
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beau Holder said:

A lot has changed in 10 days.

****, try 4 days. I'm mister pollyanna, optimist, there's plenty of time left, with these Stros and even I had a moment Friday where I thought to myself "if these jokers lose a 14 to 3 lead I'm seriously done with this F-bomb season."

But here we are. I think we are 31 and 21 since Mexico with an even better record then that in games when Jose Abreu wasn't in the lineup.

If we can find enough duct tape and silly string to keep this rotation together till Garcia (LMJ?) get back this team will still be the last team anyone wants to deal with in October. JV, Blanco, Framber on the front with Abreu, Press, Hader on the back is still going to be rightly feared in the post season.
BudFox7
The same Press and Hader throwing 4-5 ERAs? Press I think is leading the league in blown saves
spadilly
S
jkag89 said:

So did Vince get lost today (I guess yesterday now) or am I just not seeing the post?

He was in Omaha.
W
AG
this 10-game road trip will be a challenge against 3 talented teams

'stros are 16-21 away from home

14-21 in America

need to get the road record to .500 too
W
AG
Seattle has become a home-cooking team

27-12 at the former Safeco

18-24 on the road
Marvin
AG
spadilly said:

jkag89 said:

So did Vince get lost today (I guess yesterday now) or am I just not seeing the post?

He was in Omaha.

Still looking around for A&M's first modern title… sigh.

Haha, all good. Great experience. Baseball is a little different from other sports. The seasons are so long, you see the guys more than other athletes and learn the best and worst of them. What a group of kids that represented the best of the Aggie spirit.

Now, on to another playoff run with the Astros. Get healthy and wreck shop.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cc10106
MLB umpires after reading Alex's quote:
tjack16
AG
Wish we had a day game today to help pass the time on the drive back from Omaha

The Porkchop Express
AG
If it makes you feel better i talked to a guy last night whose family took a 31 hour straight drive from Iraq to Athens in 1990 to escape the gulf war.
heavens11
AG
Taking first pitch meatballs is not a great approach as that first pitch could be the best one the batter may get. HOWEVER, hacking away and ignoring the benefit over the course of the game of making a pitcher "work" and getting their pitch count up is equally not to smart. There are games where Altuve and Dubon may be both o for three on a total of less than 10 pitches. That's not ambushing driveable pitches, it's just hacking away and guessing
"It's just another corps trip boys, we'll march in behind the band"
heavens11
AG
And I love Altuve. He's a badass and the best Astro of all time imo
"It's just another corps trip boys, we'll march in behind the band"
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Give me the Michael Scott "THANK YOU" gif.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

One of the biggest benefits of traveling multiple times a month is the reward points you pile up. I earn enough to fund several trips a year (one overseas and one in the US, on average) with "free" hotel, flight, car rental, and airport parking. Sometimes it is a little inconvenient, as we stayed mostly in Sioux City instead of Omaha, but that's a small price to pay.
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

I've made that trip back after a vacation. Omaha to CS. It sucked.
tjack16
AG
This was so last minute for me that by the time I looked at flights they were all either gone or $1800 and I'd have to drive from Katy to DFW anyways to fly out

Driving 12 hours sucks but I used to do it all the time as a student for road games to Bama, Auburn, etc.
Longest drive I've had was St. Louis in 2019 for the Astros and that was a rough one.
texasaggie2015
AG
I drove the Aggieland Outfitters RV from College Station to Los Angeles and back for the UCLA game in 2017. I have no idea why they trusted my buddy and I to do that.. but it was a fun fall for a couple dudes barely out of school. Los Angeles, Gainesville, Oxford, Baton Rouge were some of the other trips.

Nothing will ever suck as bad as driving that RV all the way back home from California after the Aggies blew that big lead.
Beau Holder
AG
BudFox7 said:

The same Press and Hader throwing 4-5 ERAs? Press I think is leading the league in blown saves

Hader ERA is 3.63 with a 2.60 FIP, 1.0 WHIP and 14 K/9
BCEDAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

It's nights like this I wonder if A&M will ever win a natty in any major sport. I hope I live to see it happen.
At age 50, I think tonight was my shot

I'm 72 and still waiting. Wish I was 50 again.
Beat40
Been a while since I've been ready for an Astros game, but ready for this series with the Rockies, and in particular, the game this evening.

Crazy they have a chance to get back to .500 over the next two days.
Marvin
AG
Astros need to hold serve the next two weeks compared to the Mariners. Both teams play good teams, but Seattle will be mostly at home while the Astros will be on the road. Houston needs to keep the gap close.
Farmer1906
AG

Should be us right now.
All I do is Nguyen
It is really amazing to me how well the team has been doing now that we've cut the deadweight and are playing our best players (Dubon/Loperfido) on a regular basis. I am curious what the repercussions would have been had the Astros told Abreu and his agent to pound sand when they asked for the 40 at bats that Ketch said was agreed upon. I'll be honest if i was the Gm I would've told them sorry but he has proven he just doesn't have it anymore and cut ties.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hopefully those games where we guaranteed the 40 ABs and lost don't bite us in the ass at the end of the year...
texasaggie2015
AG
The timeline that was agreed upon was for his return from West Palm Beach. The 40 ABs weren't something they agreed to- it's what the Astros decided on their end.
Ag_07
AG
I've seen Andrew Vaugh of the CWS name being tossed around as a potential trade candidate.

26 yo 1Bman with 2 years or arb left and making only $3.25 mil this year.

Started slow but has improved recently. Numbers still look underwhelming but I guess he's better the Big Jon.

Any stat gurus wanna chime in on this guy?
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

The timeline that was agreed upon was for his return from West Palm Beach. The 40 ABs weren't something they agreed to- it's what the Astros decided on their end.
Ah okay thanks for the clarification on that. Then that makes a bit more sense. Good on Dana for finally realizing what needed to be done.
The Porkchop Express
AG
BCEDAg said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

It's nights like this I wonder if A&M will ever win a natty in any major sport. I hope I live to see it happen.

You're the first person in TexAgs history to wish they were me
Faustus
Marvin said:

Great, if sad, night in Omaha. We even made the big screen.

Time for the Astros to crank it up!

Representing with the 'Stros cap!
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Should be us right now.

I agree but I also bet Jankees fans aren't thrilled about a lineup that's downgraded to having JD and an ancient LeMahieu at this point in the season.
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Cleveland now has the best record in the AL.
Cleveland leads the league is the difference between xwOBA & wOBA. Their gap between xSLG and SLG is 0.028. The next closest team is Boston at 0.010 difference. That gap of 0.014 between #1 and #2 is larger than the gap between #2 and #9 (Cincy).

Steven Kwan leads the league at 0.072 (xwOBA & wOBA Diff). Jose Ramirez & David Fry are both in the top 10 as well. Unrelated to CLE, Josh Smith is up there with Kwan too. He's the Rangers only player in the top 50 in wOBA. I'm going to enjoy his crash.

BCEDAg
AG

BCEDAg said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

You're the first person in TexAgs history to wish they were me

So what do I win for that accomplishment?
tjack16
AG
Well now my focus is 100% Astros for the summer. Hoping we keep the positive momentum going and get another sweep or two the next few weeks
f1ghtintexasaggie
Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Marvin
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

There it is!
First Page Last Page
Page 933 of 1924

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.