***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,852,980 Views | 67344 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by BadAggie
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll always have my soon upcoming NCAA video game championships
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Only when that's where their pitcher wanted to live. When they changed pitchers and he wanted to be up in the zone the ump obliged and proceeded to call those strikes for them.

Total trash game behind the plate.
Ag_07
AG
Inconsistent strikes zones are frustrating but they're not as big of a deal in the big picture as fans make them out to be.

The Vols getting to Evan and the Ags not being able to get a clutch hit had more to do with the loss than the strike zone.

I'm also of the opinion that hitters need to adjust. Don't put it in the hands of the umps and it's not an issue.

Essentially bad strike zone isn't why the Ags lost.
BadAggie
AG
38-40
4.5 games back of 3rd Wild Card spot
5.5 games back of Division lead

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

Inconsistent strikes zones are frustrating but they're not as big of a deal in the big picture as fans make them out to be.

The Vols getting to Evan and the Ags not being able to get a clutch hit had more to do with the loss than the strike zone.

I'm also of the opinion that hitters need to adjust. Don't put it in the hands of the umps and it's not an issue.

Essentially bad strike zone isn't why the Ags lost.
except it literally is. They got extra inches when we took to get ahead in the count. This Leto is constantly expanding our zone then late in counts "protecting" to stay alive on pitches we couldn't even reach.

Tonight it mattered
iBrad
AG
A 1-1 count is completely different than 0-2, so yes, one bad strike call can have a huge impact on an at bat and can impact the outcome of the game.
AustinCountyAg
Blaming the umpires for the Ags losing tonight is pathetic. I agree the strike zone was inconsistent, but the umpire wasn't the one who grooved the balls over the center of the plate that the hit out. The Aggies lost. It happens. No need to blame someone else and make yourself look like a titty baby.

Schloss is a great coach and they will be back playing for a natty again sooner than later. It will happen within the next few years.
texasaggie2015
AG
Are we really blaming the umpires?? Give me a break. We got outplayed. It happens. They were a damn good team and so were we. There's a long list of things we can point to before we even get to the umpires.
astros4545
AG
iBrad said:

A 1-1 count is completely different than 0-2, so yes, one bad strike call can have a huge impact on an at bat and can impact the outcome of the game.

The one on Jace to go down 0-2 was the really bad one

Others were closer

And it's always tough to see the strike zone at that offset angle which is so stupid of the broadcast
vbl
Did everyone wave at Arlington when we went by?
BadAggie
AG
Great run, came up a game short. It happens.
tjack16
AG
Just got back to my hotel in Omaha. I'm pretty at peace right now. Got to see the Aggies play in game 3 of the college World Series finals and they fought to make it a great game in the end.

I'd rather lose the last game than not be in it at all
_veeyah_
AG
Not blaming the umps, they definitely got outplayed these past 2 games. Just hate seeing the inconsistent strike zone especially for the Ags and Astros! Hehe
Ag_07
AG
The strike zone didn't play a role when Kent had an awful AB that made me miss Jose Abreu.

Or Schott missing a richard high 93 mph FB.

Or the sloppy defense we had that TEN capitalized on.

Ags got beat by TEN not the umpires.
agdaddy04
AG
BadAggie said:

Great run, came up a game short. It happens.

Came up 2 inches short. Man, I was up the first base line some, but thought for sure Jackson got the tag on him. It was pretty clear he didn't in the replay though. Amazing dodge of the tag. Ended up being the difference
agdaddy04
AG
Kent wasn't taking what was thrown which has been unlike him. I was hoping for just going station to station at that point.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Kent was sloppy all night. But I would say he was a casualty of wanting to jump on early strikes others were seeing which then caused them to chase…Vols saw that and never game him anything close and he proceeded to swing anyways. He was not hardly competitive yesterday or today.
Marvin
AG
Great, if sad, night in Omaha. We even made the big screen.

Time for the Astros to crank it up!

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Kent wasn't taking what was thrown which has been unlike him. I was hoping for just going station to station at that point.
Rhere was a point last night late you could see he was given the take sign eary and he looked pissed. He noticeable looked like he didn't look to the dugout late in the game and then just went down whiffing. Completely uncompetitive at bats
_veeyah_
AG
Kent was probably really amped up at the way he was playing and wanted to play a little hero ball and was swinging at everything. He's still young I'm sure he'll learn from this and his dad will give him a little talk.
Hornbeck
AG
_veeyah_ said:

Kent was probably really amped up at the way he was playing and wanted to play a little hero ball and was swinging at everything. He's still young I'm sure he'll learn from this and his dad will give him a little talk.

This. Guy is a freshman, who was pressed in to playing because B Mont got hurt. Maybe this experience will make him better next year. I'm betting yes. Teachable moment for Schloss.
agproducer
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Are we really blaming the umpires?? Give me a break. We got outplayed. It happens. They were a damn good team and so were we. There's a long list of things we can point to before we even get to the umpires.

Not at all. You have to adjust to a terrible zone and not strand RISP.
iBrad
AG
I wasn't blaming the loss on the strike zone. Just responding to the post saying that an inconsistent strike zone doesn't matter as much as fans think. The umpire scorecards in MLB games often show otherwise.

Every fan base is going to feel like they drew the short end of the straw on the inconsistency. That's just the nature of being a fan.

Heineken-Ashi
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I'll always have my soon upcoming NCAA video game championships
College baseball on PS2 - Game still holds up if you don't mind the fuzzy graphics.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
Heineken-Ashi
_veeyah_ said:

Said this on a discussion with friends and will copy it here..

I think Jeff Kent will sit down with his son and explain the hardest thing in sports.. that you can't go into any moment trying to force it to be your moment. You have to stay consistent within yourself, within the gameplan, and level headed. If you come through and have your moment, you enjoy it. But every time you try to force it you will fail. It's a lesson Kent unfortunately needed to learn to reach his potential, and it sucks it was in such a pivotal moment. But I have faith that his strikeout late in that game will pay off HUGE in the next two years.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

It's nights like this I wonder if A&M will ever win a natty in any major sport. I hope I live to see it happen.
At age 50, I think tonight was my shot
BCEDAg
AG
While the Astros are now only 5.5 games back, they are also only 4 losses behind the Mariners, which is even more significant.
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I think Jose Abreu was the home plate umpire.
Beau Holder
AG
A lot has changed in 10 days.
W
AG
the Rockies are dead last in team ERA

rank 30th of 30 teams

this needs to be a 2-game sweep
W
AG
checking in with Altuve...

with 95 hits already...he's on pace for his most hits in a season since 2017 (205 hits)

and having played in 77 of 78 games so far...

he's on pace for his most games played in a season since 2016 (153 games)
jkag89
Marvin said:

Great, if sad, night in Omaha. We even made the big screen.

Time for the Astros to crank it up!

Well of course you did.
jkag89
Hornbeck said:

_veeyah_ said:

This. Guy is a freshman, who was pressed in to playing because B Mont got hurt. Maybe this experience will make him better next year. I'm betting yes. Teachable moment for Schloss.
Sophomore. Actually got quite a bit of playing time last year. Didn't make the most of his limited playing time early in the season and once lineup got more or less set nobody really faltered. The kid shouldn't hang his head about his last AB though, his bat was a big reason the team got as far as it did.
jkag89
So did Vince get lost today (I guess yesterday now) or am I just not seeing the post?
BadAggie
AG
Astros have now clawed their way back to having a shot at the postseason after 78 games at 38-40.

Record by Month
March 0-4
April 10-15
May 15-14
June 13-7 (through the 24th)

After a generous week with two off days sandwiching two home games against the Rockies the Astros have ten straight games on the road from Friday June 28th through Sunday July 7th:

3 @Mets
4 @Blue Jays
3 @Twins

Then a day off and a six game homestand before the All Star break with

3 vMarlins
3 vArlington

So 18 games left and the Astros will have 66 games remaining after the All Star break, a traditional point in the season to take stock of a team's postseason chances and make trade deadline plans, with two weeks and twelve games left before the trade deadline at the end of July.

After the deadline the 109th game will kick off the 54 games that will make up the final third of the regular season.

The 30 games before that will for better or worse determine how this season ends. Stay within 4 or 5 games of the playoffs or better and I think the team will stand pat or make a small move. Hit a slump and bounce to a double digit playoff deficit and I could see some seller moves.

First Page Last Page
Page 932 of 1925

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.