***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,854,475 Views | 67349 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by agdaddy04
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fair point, just seems to happen a lot to the teams I follow lol
Marvin
AG
Hanging out in Omaha before the game. Three hours to go and my stomach is already in knots.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
_veeyah_
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I feel like a lot of players do that. They ball out in a contract year and then just coast. Not just int he MLB but all of the major sports.

Let's hope Breggy still gets to do this. Lots of baseball left.
Ag_07
AG
Marvin said:

Hanging out in Omaha before the game. Three hours to go and my stomach is already in knots.

GD Jello shots will do that to you.
agproducer
AG
Marvin said:

Drink more!
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

W said:

it's amazing how many front offices take the cheese on the blow-up contract year
To be fair we did the same with Abreu
Outside of Fremand & Goldy, Abru was the 3rd best 1B for almost a decade.

2014-2022:
.292 BA
.354 OBP
.506 SLG
.860 OPS
133 wRC+
6th in hits
7th in doubles
10th in HR
2nd in RBI
4th in Off WAR

He is anything but a 1 hit wonder in a contract year. If anything he showed some decline right before he signed.
Mathguy64
AG
Marvin said:

You need to do $20000 worth of Jell-O shots.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin said:

You're not alone. This is how I feel watching the Astros in the playoffs, and how I feel watching A&M play this series.
MaxPower
I don't think there's some huge lesson from Abreu. Guys tend to be less effective as they get older. Some are a gradual decline and others fall off a cliff. You were hoping to get one maybe two good years before the falloff, it just didn't happen. That contract wasn't egregious like Montero, which was so stupid almost every Joe Schmoe on this board was asking wtf.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Altuve now tied with the unlikely Placido Polanco for 213th on the hit list at 2,142. Placido Polanco had a better 2nd half of his career than first half, In 5 years with Detroit from 05-09 he piled up 806 hits. I had no idea.

On the near horizon for Tuve are the likes of Ken Griffey Sr. (2,143), Yogi Berra (2,150), Ruben Sierra (2,152) and Don Mattingly (2,153).

Mattingly should be the great cautionary tale for younger fans to never take a guy for granted. From '84-'87, he was as good you had seen in baseball in decades and looked like the next sure-fire Hall of Famer. Then had back problems and had 2 more decent seasons and then turned into a slap hitter.

Mattingly's averages from 84-87

154 GP
625 AB
102 R
211 H
46 2B
30 HR
121 RBI
.338 AVG
.559 SLG
.940 OPS

And his strike totals for those 4 years were: 33, 41, 355, 38

His career high in strikeouts was 42. He finished with 588 BBB, 444 K
Hornbeck
AG
Good example of the contract year stud is Anthony Rendon. Had a great year, gets a huge deal with the Angels, then tanks.
MaxPower
Man that sent me down a weird rabbit hole. Mattingly didn't make the playoffs until his last season and was pretty damn good. If you watched that ALDS series against the M's, you prolly thought the Mariners were destined to go on a dynastic run.

BTW, League City's Buhner (or Boner if you prefer) was a playoff stud. 4 jacks in 11 games in the 1995 playoffs and 8 in his career in 26 playoff games with a .306 avg.
Johnsy3
AG
My favorite Mattingly stat is that he hit 6 grand slams in his career…all in 1987
512Ag
AG
MaxPower said:

BTW, League City's Buhner (or Boner if you prefer) was a playoff stud. 4 jacks in 11 games in the 1995 playoffs and 8 in his career in 26 playoff games with a .306 avg.
What the hell did Steinbrenner trade Jay Buhner for?! He had 30 home runs and over 100 RBIs; he had a rocket for an arm...Steinbrenner didn't know what the hell he was doing!
MaxPower
Baseball America had a blurb on Will Wagner. The long story short is he is very effective against righties so he has a legit potential role as a platoon hitter / pinch hitter. The charts below break it down but he effectively is just bad against lefty offspeed pitches but hits righties pretty well, specifically if you can get him against someone who doesn't throw a 2 seamer.

Ag_07
AG
I'll take your word for it.

aggie813
Marvin said:

Hanging out in Omaha before the game. Three hours to go and my stomach is already in knots.]

I want to be Marvin when I grow up
MaxPower
Should change his name to Marvelous Marvin
All I do is Nguyen
Hornbeck said:

Good example of the contract year stud is Anthony Rendon. Had a great year, gets a huge deal with the Angels, then tanks.
I think he just stopped giving a **** honestly lol
MaxPower
Yeah my speculation is after dealing with multiple injuries he's just over it. It's tough to come back from one of those, let alone 3 or 4. Playing on a team with no playoff chances prolly doesn't help either.
The Porkchop Express
AG
512Ag said:

MaxPower said:

What the hell did Steinbrenner trade Jay Buhner for?! He had 30 home runs and over 100 RBIs; he had a rocket for an arm...Steinbrenner didn't know what the hell he was doing!
The Seinfeld pantheon of baseball has to be the greatest sports cadre of jokes of all-time.

Frank launching on Steinbrenner when George is supposedly dead is about the best thing I've ever seen.

A close second is right after the Yankees had acquired Charlie Hayes and Kramer screams, "YOU BETTER CATCH IT HERE CHARLIE, CUZ THIS AINT PHILADELPHIA!" referencing the time he committed an error that cost Terry Mulhollanda perfect game.

And of course there's this

Cheers & Seinfeld took 2 guys I loathed as a kid - Hernandez and Kevin McHale and turned them guys that I had a lot of respect for being on TV as themselves.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Hornbeck said:

Hornbeck
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Hornbeck said:

I think he just stopped giving a **** honestly lol

Crap, if I had a $245M contract, I would too!!!!
FrioAg 00
AG
Let's go Rays and Jays, get us to 3.5 and 5.5 games out, respectively
MaxPower
I think the craziest team stat in sports may be that the Yanks didn't go more than 3 seasons without winning it all over a 40 year span (1923-1962).
bodaciousbood14
AG
MaxPower said:

I think the craziest team stat in sports may be that the Yanks didn't go more than 3 seasons without winning it all over a 40 year span (1923-1962).
And we still get to hear about it sixty odd years later
Prosperdick
AG
512Ag said:

MaxPower said:

They kept telling me Phelps, Phelps!

What a great show.
Marvin
AG
Let's go boys!!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
All I do is Nguyen
Bring us good luck from the future Marvin!
Mathguy64
AG
Catch a LaViolette HR Marvin!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Where's TJack and rally baby
07ag
AG
Tjack is at the game
https://ts.la/eric59704
tjack16
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Mathguy64
AG
Did you beat those Volunteer choads up for that HR ball?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
tjack16 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

great seat. Can't wait for you to catch an Aggie homer
First Page Last Page
Page 929 of 1925

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.