***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,740,459 Views | 66718 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by DoitBest
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cc10106 said:

Beau Bevers said:

We had to cut Fubo due to expense, so I haven't watched live Astros games in a few days. Just listened and watched recaps. We're undefeated in that time. You're welcome.
I've been mostly listening on 790 AM this year and then catch the highlights on YouTube afterwards. It doesn't suck as much as i thought it would.

By the next morning there's a condensed game video on the MLB app for every game.
agproducer
AG
For all of you who celebrate with MLB The Show....

MaxPower
W said:

good article by Chandler

he's seen what everyone else has seen regarding the position player group

the Astros definitely need or needed to get younger, faster, and more athletic
Definitely. Team defense has slid dramatically over the last two years. Getting more mobility in the OF helps as well as some speed on the basepaths. Thats also why I want cabbage getting more time at 1B. Having that speed throughout the lineup makes the pitcher and catcher work a little harder.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

135 M for 10.7 WAR or get 7.4 WAR for arbitration, during Pena's prime, with our best position player prospect at SS.

We have much bigger needs at 3B, 1B, & pitching.
I'm talking about if you are choosing between Bregman and Adames, not necessarily that you need to make that move. Regardless, your argument is missing the fact that you can also get assets back for Peña so you aren't just wasting that cheap value. Plenty of teams will pay up for a cost controlled SS (even one that's just average).
bearkatag15
AG
ESPN put out mid season awards:

agproducer
AG
East Coast bias again. No mention of Blanco -- who has been magnificent.

I understand Judge and Soto being high on the MVP list -- but Tuck is too low.

And the snippet about the Astros -- while a lot of it true -- reeks of desperate Yankees fan.
scrimp
AG
Interesting that Blanco is not included on the AL Cy list. I'd be surprised if he maintains the level all year, but his numbers are as good/better than most of the guys listed....
bodaciousbood14
AG
Good...let them continue their Yankee knob slobbering

Will make it all the more sweet when we knock them out of the playoffs...again
Beau Holder
AG
agproducer said:

East Coast bias again. No mention of Blanco -- who has been magnificent.

I understand Judge and Soto being high on the MVP list -- but Tuck is too low.

And the snippet about the Astros -- while a lot of it true -- reeks of desperate Yankees fan.

Crowning the Janks in the first half worked out well in 2022.
Project Gemini
AG
scrimp said:

Interesting that Blanco is not included on the AL Cy list. I'd be surprised if he maintains the level all year, but his numbers are as good/better than most of the guys listed....

He cheated, according to everyone but Astros fans
scrimp
AG
I'd get that sentiment if his performance dropped after getting "caught", but his numbers have been pretty much the same.

That being said, I guess I should never underestimate the bias, ignorance and pettiness of sports journalists.....
houag78
AG
Well said!
Mathguy64
AG
I called it the other day. Blanco won't sniff a CY vote. And decent chance he doesn't make the ASG.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The umpires have way too much power to ruin reputations
Post removed:
by user
The Porkchop Express
AG
Not only did the Stros get the sweep yesterday, but in my 2nd year of infiltrating the Ranger fans Fantasy Baseball league, my stalwart band of misfits, Aka King Donkey, defeated DallasAg94's squad

It should be noted as well that I autodrafted Semien and tried to trade him to 94 for Altuve and he turned it down.
Life is better with a beagle
spadilly
S
No "Off Days…" post today.

Gig em and bring home the trophy, Aggie Baseball!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen
EastCoastAgNc said:

We definitely need some Blubaughlls
Hornbeck
AG
No-hitter Bluebaughlls are the best Bluebaughlls.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tailgatetimer10
AG
He has that running motion where he looks slower than he's actually moving. I wonder how confusing that is as a baserunner, and if that is why this happens.
n_touch
bearkatag15 said:

They must not take in extra curricular activities because Skenes would be running away with it
f1ghtintexasaggie
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

bearkatag15 said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

He should absolutely appeal if he did nothing wrong.
If he appeals and doesn't win, he ends up delaying the suspension which could mean missing multiple starts. Its better to miss 1 than potentially 2

I realize that, but now he's conceded that he cheated without fighting it at all. Given our recent history, you'd think that would matter more than one additional start both to him and the organization. The dude is an outside Cy candidate right now. Would I put money down that he will continue his excellent start to the year? Absolutely not. But now with this, and especially not even fighting it, he has not shot, even if he dominates the rest of the year.

All that assuming he actually did NOT cheat. That's just how I feel.

Posted this day he decided not to appeal.
texasaggie2015
AG
I would argue that Blanco not being on the list has more to do with the fact that not many outside of Houston know him yet than the sticky stuff incident.
f1ghtintexasaggie
texasaggie2015 said:

I would argue that Blanco not being on the list has more to do with the fact that not many outside of Houston know him yet than the sticky stuff incident.

...but they know Erick Fedde and Cole Ragans?
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The threw an opening week no hitter and almost threw a second one. Baseball writers know him.

Ag4life80
AG
I remember back when Benintendi was the hot commodity as a free agent. Yet another big time bust after a big payday. Crappy team hurts him, but he was supposed to be a bell cow. Really surprised he's sunk this low.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag4life80 said:

I remember back when Benintendi was the hot commodity as a free agent. Yet another big time bust after a big payday. Crappy team hurts him, but he was supposed to be a bell cow. Really surprised he's sunk this low.

He's still living off that 2018 playoff run. You know the one where Boston was chea…

Oh yeah. Nevermind. We don't talk about that. MLB doesn't allow that.
All I do is Nguyen
I feel like a lot of players do that. They ball out in a contract year and then just coast. Not just int he MLB but all of the major sports.
W
AG
it's amazing how many front offices take the cheese on the blow-up contract year
W
AG
one of my favorites was former Braves catcher Javy Lopez

here's his OPS from 2001 (age 30) to 2006 (age 35)

2001 --> .747
2002 --> .670
2003 --> 1.065
2004 --> .872
2005 --> .780
2006 --> .683

can you guess which season was his contract year?
All I do is Nguyen
W said:

it's amazing how many front offices take the cheese on the blow-up contract year
To be fair we did the same with Abreu
texasaggie2015
AG
I wouldn't say Abreu blew up right before his contract year by any means. Several productive seasons including an MVP. Definitely a whiff of a contract, but I wouldn't call him a one hit wonder.

The season before the big contract was actually a slight drop off from previous years.
First Page Last Page
Page 928 of 1907

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.