***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,740,124 Views | 66718 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by DoitBest
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Porkchop Express said:

Harry Dunne said:

My favorite all time football coach once said that if you have talent and you aren't a total dbag, someone will pay you to play no matter what else you've done. Mike Vick built a huge facility dedicated to training dogs to kill other dogs. Ray Lewis either killed a guy or knows who did and is in the hall of fame. So if nobody is signing you, you either can't play or you are such a dbag that nobody will play on your team or you don't really want to play, you just want attention - aka kaepernick. Maybe Bauer can still pitch, but clearly nobody wants to be his teammate anywhere in the majors.
Surprising take. I was expecting you to be in the "people can change" camp.

Don't you think the problem is more the PR hit that a team will take for hiring him? A guy that, regardless of having been railroaded is still clearly abusive towards women...and most casual fans will never dig deep enough to know he wasn't 100% guilty of what he was originally accused of.

And I know Bauer is a little long in the tooth to be making major character changes, but I do think pro athletes have a very delayed adolescence on account of the extreme self-centeredness it takes to succeed and the lack of accountability they have when they are stars.

Of course people can change. But plenty never choose to. If Bauer wanted to get signed, the first thing he should do is get off social media and go play for some independent league team to prove he wants to play ball. Prove that you can play baseball for a period of time without being an idiot. Even this year he made some really dumb comment on Twitter that had everyone in Japan pissed at him while pitching there.
bauer is currently pitching in Mexico and has been pitching his ass off the entire season. Just set the record for most strikeouts in a game (19) as well.
Mr.Bond
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Harry Dunne said:

My favorite all time football coach once said that if you have talent and you aren't a total dbag, someone will pay you to play no matter what else you've done. Mike Vick built a huge facility dedicated to training dogs to kill other dogs. Ray Lewis either killed a guy or knows who did and is in the hall of fame. So if nobody is signing you, you either can't play or you are such a dbag that nobody will play on your team or you don't really want to play, you just want attention - aka kaepernick. Maybe Bauer can still pitch, but clearly nobody wants to be his teammate anywhere in the majors.

Don't you think the problem is more the PR hit that a team will take for hiring him? A guy that, regardless of having been railroaded is still clearly abusive towards women...and most casual fans will never dig deep enough to know he wasn't 100% guilty of what he was originally accused of.

And I know Bauer is a little long in the tooth to be making major character changes, but I do think pro athletes have a very delayed adolescence on account of the extreme self-centeredness it takes to succeed and the lack of accountability they have when they are stars.

Of course people can change. But plenty never choose to. If Bauer wanted to get signed, the first thing he should do is get off social media and go play for some independent league team to prove he wants to play ball. Prove that you can play baseball for a period of time without being an idiot. Even this year he made some really dumb comment on Twitter that had everyone in Japan pissed at him while pitching there.
bauer is currently pitching in Mexico and has been pitching his ass off the entire season. Just set the record for most strikeouts in a game (19) as well.

19 Ks against guys so un athletic they can't even get across the border
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

n_touch
Mr.Bond said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Harry Dunne said:

Holy crap I laughed way to hard at this
All I do is Nguyen
Idk like I said I know it's unreasonable. Maybe trade Chas or cabbage for a reliever. Again this is why I'm not a GM lol
Mathguy64
AG
Mr.Bond said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Harry Dunne said:

And we have this night's winner of Internet fun. Shut her down.
MaxPower
bearkatag15 said:

5 years $120M seems reasonable
I'd take Adames of those options and move Peña. 2 years younger than Bregman and plays a more premium position at a high level.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I look forward to the umpire who caught that telling us he's never felt anything that sticky in all his career.

They let him leave with his glove, so it was definitely his hand. It's not that hard to clean your hand off before leaving the bullpen. What an idiot
Farmer1906
AG
That's a ridiculous overpay. Over his last ~1600 PA he's got a 105 OPS+.
bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I look forward to the umpire who caught that telling us he's never felt anything that sticky in all his career.

Ron White retains that title of stickiest ever

The Porkchop Express
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Harry Dunne said:

Good to hear. Hope he can get the mental to match the physical.
Life is better with a beagle
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

That's a ridiculous overpay. Over his last ~1600 PA he's got a 105 OPS+.
Disagree. GG level SS. He has been below his xWOBA and xSLG the last 3 years. Maybe he's just that guy or maybe there's meat on the bone for more. The last 2.5 years he has nearly 11 WAR using fangraphs formula even under performing his expected batting metrics.
Farmer1906
AG
135 M for 10.7 WAR or get 7.4 WAR for arbitration, during Pena's prime, with our best position player prospect at SS.

We have much bigger needs at 3B, 1B, & pitching.
cc10106
This weekend's series was just the second time in over 2 years that Baltimore has been swept. St. Louis ended their streak back in May.
Faustus
NM.
BadAggie
AG
Faustus said:

Mathguy64 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

No ump wants to be handed that job.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Quote:

Veteran left-hander Eric Lauer remains in Triple-A Sugar Land but will make a prorated $1.5 million if he is called up to the major leagues. Given Houston's proximity to the second CBT threshold and insistence it will buy at the trade deadline, it's worth wondering whether that salary is a deterrent.

Perhaps more intriguing: Lauer's contract also contains an opt-out on July 1. The Astros are so thin on starting pitching depth that they may not want to risk losing Lauer. Promoting him for a spot start could be an avenue to ensure he stays.
tjack16
AG
MAROON
AG
tjack16 said:

texasaggie2015
AG
Trade talks really heating up over the weekend. Priorities seem to be the same with pitching the first priority but they're interested in a couple bats as well.
Beau Bevers
AG
We had to cut Fubo due to expense, so I haven't watched live Astros games in a few days. Just listened and watched recaps. We're undefeated in that time. You're welcome.
gambochaman
AG
Beau Bevers said:

We had to cut Fubo due to expense, so I haven't watched live Astros games in a few days. Just listened and watched recaps. We're undefeated in that time. You're welcome.
a gentleman and a scholar
heavens11
AG
tjack16 said:

Proves the point that regardless of how good a dude is and how much they are loved/respected in the clubhouse, table stakes is performing at a high level (or maybe at least within spitting distance of replacement levels).
W
AG
good article by Chandler

he's seen what everyone else has seen regarding the position player group

the Astros definitely need or needed to get younger, faster, and more athletic
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Blum at the end killed me. That's three in a row he's done that have been fantastic.
W
AG
Dubon starts by month:

April ----> 14 of 29 games

May ----> 16 of 29

June ---> 18 of 20
Prosperdick
AG
This season has been enjoyable almost solely due to the Aggies' historic run which hopefully ends with a natty tonight.

As much as a beat down it's been to watch the Astros it seems like we're heating up at just the right time to carry the torch from the Ags and carry us through the summer.

Now lets start getting our studs back and go on that magical 10 game winning streak Dana has promised us!!!
Ag_07
AG
We're now at 5 in a row with 2 coming up against Colorado at home where we have a realistic chance at making it 7 in a row.

Who comes back sooner...Tucker of LMJ?
Farmer1906
AG
Now the 6th best chance to make the playoffs in the AL.
All I do is Nguyen
This was hilarious

agproducer
AG
You beat be to it. I couldn't stop laughing.
Serviam
Prosperdick said:

This season has been enjoyable almost solely due to the Aggies' historic run which hopefully ends with a natty tonight.

As much as a beat down it's been to watch the Astros it seems like we're heating up at just the right time to carry the torch from the Ags and carry us through the summer.

Now lets start getting our studs back and go on that magical 10 game winning streak Dana has promised us!!!
GIRD YOUR LOINS
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Trade talks really heating up over the weekend. Priorities seem to be the same with pitching the first priority but they're interested in a couple bats as well.
cc10106
Beau Bevers said:

I've been mostly listening on 790 AM this year and then catch the highlights on YouTube afterwards. It doesn't suck as much as i thought it would.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So...tictok brought me to the blonde who was dating the Tennessee pitcher.

I now understand her lack of cheer on screen yesterday. Her dad works for baseball operations and she attends A&M and is an Aggie hostess for baseball to show around recruits

I can imagine yesterday was rough for her
First Page Last Page
Page 927 of 1907

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.