***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,279,779 Views | 60224 Replies | Last: 31 min ago by txags92
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Beef01
AG
Last night's game seems to have been the consensus low point for the fanbase as I look around on Twitter/X, etc.

So, either the team mails it in or we're about to see an absolute heater…here's to some quirky baseball thing happening in the clubhouse, the Grimace throwing out a 1st pitch, etc. happening.

If not that…unload Bregman, Verlander & Framber and be ready to have a young crop of guys ready to compete over the next couple of years. (Also…obviously…unload Espada and his staff and just admit that you made a mistake; you did it with Abreu)
texasaggie2015
AG
Some good news since this board desperately needs it...

I was told a few times that Brice Matthews was very raw and they expected some bumps along the way with his development and for it to take time for him to put everything together. He's been on fire so I asked about him again last night.

I'm told he's WAY ahead of where they expected him to be. Both with the glove and the bat. Growth is never linear so it would be foolish to expect him to skyrocket his way to the big leagues, but they are very excited about his development so far. They think he could be a legitimate star.

So, that being said, disregard everything I've said before. He still may take time, but there's a world where he's in the big leagues next year. He's athletic enough to play a few positions so it will be interesting to see if they start working him in other spots.

I also still believe with 90% certainty we'll see Jake Bloss in the big leagues sooner than later. And by sooner, I mean really soon.
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Well, it's good to FINALLY see some type of reaction beyond relative indifference. They'd been rolling over and taking it for three months.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Fun times. Don't get me wrong I loved the steady success period but the young guns coming up and growing and showing out is a fun period. Most fun personally when you're at the 2016 level, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and the youth fits in well and it's fun.

I think this type scenario has been why I liked and rooted for Jake as well.
Boiling Denim
The Beef01 said:

If not that…unload Bregman, Verlander & Framber and be ready to have a young crop of guys ready to compete over the next couple of years.
Yep the best this team has looked this year was with the rook up competing for time and Singleton/Myers trying to take control of their positions.

If we can't win with overwhelming talent due to injuries and we have a wet blanket for a coach then we need to inject some competition into this squad to try and light the fire
cc10106
Saw a clip of Tuve pissed off last night after a terrible third strike call and heard he initiated a mound visit with Framber as well. I like it.

*Just saw the clip of angry Jose was already posted.
Ag_07
AG
Honestly I think we're beyond the point of light a fire inject some energy.

The time for that was a month ago.

At this point this team is what it's record is and that's not good.
cc10106
The Beef01 said:

Last night's game seems to have been the consensus low point for the fanbase as I look around on Twitter/X, etc.

So, either the team mails it in or we're about to see an absolute heater…here's to some quirky baseball thing happening in the clubhouse, the Grimace throwing out a 1st pitch, etc. happening.

If not that…unload Bregman, Verlander & Framber and be ready to have a young crop of guys ready to compete over the next couple of years. (Also…obviously…unload Espada and his staff and just admit that you made a mistake; you did it with Abreu)
The low point for me was probably the sweep in Chicago or blowing the lead last Monday in San Fran.

This team is so banged up right now, but we can still win this series.
Beau Holder
AG
The Beef01 said:

This is the fifth time I've thought "that's it, rock bottom."

So I'm sure a lower low is coming.
Serviam
cc10106 said:

Saw a clip of Tuve pissed off last night after a terrible third strike call and heard he initiated a mound visit with Framber as well. I like it.

*jose jogs to the mound*

"oye cabron, throw strikes"

*jogs back to second base"
cc10106
I'm sure it was nothing like Correa getting in Framber's grill back in the 2020 ALCS, and I know it's a little late for all that anyway like was previously mentioned.

Altuve needs to embrace the role of a veteran leader of this team and become more vocal.
MaxPower
Carlos is looking like he's worth every penny of that contract right now.
Ag_07
AG
Damn...I just looked

In his past 15 games he's slashing .452/.478/.677

That's a serious heater.
cc10106
Good for him. Wouldn't mind seeing the Twins in the World Series out of other top AL teams right now.
Mathguy64
AG
Serviam said:

cc10106 said:

*jose jogs to the mound*

"oye cabron, throw strikes"

*jogs back to second base"
Last night it was more like "bro, this pinche pendejo behind the plate ain't giving you ***** Homey for Chicago gets a strike if it anywhere near the Million Dollar Mile. But he ain't giving you the time of day. You are throwing strikes and he ain't calling it. You are going to have to pump them middle middle."
W
AG
one thing to give Carlos a lot of credit for...

he's fixed his GiDP problem

last year...30 GiDP's in 514 at-bats -- a terrible ratio

this year...only 3 GiDP's in 201 at-bats
Serviam
MaxPower said:

Carlos is looking like he's worth every penny of that contract right now.
It's weird but he could very easily have HOF worthy numbers without ever really being a huge superstar. He's been in the league for 10 seasons, is on pace to end up this season at around 46.5 WAR (average HOF SS WAR is 67). If he can average 4.5 WAR over the next 4 seasons he'll be in the Ballpark before he turns 35.

He's got a major lack of individual hardware though, 2 AS, no SS, 1 top 5 MVP finish, 1 GG and that's it.
W
AG
something in defense of Pena...

Espada said back in spring training...he wanted Pena to come to the park everyday knowing where he would hit in the lineup...the 8-hole or 9-hole

but that plan has been blown to pieces

.700 OPS shortstop batting 8th or 9th is fine
bearkatag15
AG

AggiEE
The Beef01 said:

Tucker and Yordan out destroys our offense.

Last night sucked but what can you do?

RO519
AG
GM speak...
agproducer
AG
I guess Dana is into day drinking.
tjack16
AG
I get Dana has to say all that because he's the GM and mathematically we still have a shot… but for this team to go on "one of those rolls" they have to play like they give a damn. They haven't in 73 games thus far.

Also insert "playoffs… playoffs?!" Meme
EastCoastAgNc
AG
It's the first time he's thrown "if" in any statement about playing better. The tone is changing
BCEDAg
AG
Dana's comments are getting old. He basically says the same thing every day - sunshine pumper #1. After last night's game I just don't see this team turning it around. Hope I'm wrong.
CFTXAG10
AG
What I don't like is that last tweet. "but as is, with Garcia & McCullers coming back, I feel this team can get to the playoffs." You can sneak this past the casuals, but folks who know baseball can see this team isn't going anywhere as is
cc10106
Whatever, Dana. He has a job to do, yadda yadda. Just keep rebuilding the farm.
AggiEE
A lot has gone wrong to get us to where we are today

A lot has to go right to get us to the playoffs

If we have more nagging injuries it's just not realistically going to happen. So far most of our team isn't playing up to individual expectations. They need to all start playing to their standards if we can expect to be competitive
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I think the time to make changes was a month ago. I think it's time to admit the hole is just too deep now. Lots of parallels to 2016
_veeyah_
AG
I think the most frustrating part is when we lose and we don't look competitive at all, sometimes it just feels like they just lay there and take it. The little kid in me believes they can go on this crazy magical run and get to the playoffs and once there things will be different. But then I'm like…naaaaaahhhhh we just suck this year.
Ag_07
AG
Didn't the 2016 miss the playoffs by just a game or 2? I thought I remembered it coming down to that last series of the season.

I'd take that right now. At least that would make it interesting down the stretch.
texasaggie2015
AG
I believe they were 10+ games out of the division lead and a few games out of the wild card
mwm
I have little to no confidence in Brown anymore. Same for ownership & dugout staff.
iBrad
AG
mwm said:

I have little to no confidence in Brown anymore. Same for ownership & dugout staff.

Brown is off to a hell of a start in rebuilding the farm system, which is needed to sustain any kind of future success.
First Page Last Page
Page 888 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.