***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,735,784 Views | 66703 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Farmer1906
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bullard21k said:

How does it take 2 weeks of neck discomfort before you get checked out?

You literally play once a week

How do you handle pain in your life?
bullard21k
AG
Beat40 said:

bullard21k said:

Not sure I'm understanding the question ?
Beat40
bullard21k said:

Beat40 said:

bullard21k said:

Not sure I'm understanding the question ?

My question came from a defensive and argumentative standpoint, so I'm going to back off the convo. I apologize, sir!

Only point I wanted to make is these guys are human, and JV knows how much the team needs him and wins, so I can understand wanting to play through some pain.

There have been many times in my life where I've felt run down or flat out sick yet continued to work because I knew how important of a time it was at work.

That's all. Don't want to start an argument.

I do overall agree with your sentiment that neck pain lingering longer than normally should probably get choice out sooner rather than later, assuming he had not had it checked out already.
Chrundle the Great
AG
W said:

good Joe

found a way to get Dubon in the lineup

4th career start in RF according to mlb.com
MaxPower
Kyle Bradish looking like TJ. Let's start the Framber for Mayo rumors.
07ag
AG
Ag4life80 said:

Don't get the incessant jabs at Bagwell. Next, he's gonna be the shooter behind the grassy knoll

Scapegoat, got to have someone to blame
Mathguy64
AG
The TJ parade seem really large to me. I wonder if it is a real epidemic or just a function of the internet and information being so visible.
BadAggie
AG

View from the seats. Get another W.

TarponChaser
Mathguy64 said:

The TJ parade seem really large to me. I wonder if it is a real epidemic or just a function of the internet and information being so visible.

It's real.

There's a lot of reasons why but I think it has a lot to do with overuse at a young age, teaching kids to throw harder than their bodies are really able to handle, and the focus on max velo & max spin on every pitch vs. location & changing speeds.
Mathguy64
AG
TarponChaser said:

Mathguy64 said:

It's real.

There's a lot of reasons why but I think it has a lot to do with overuse at a young age, teaching kids to throw harder than their bodies are really able to handle, and the focus on max velo & max spin on every pitch vs. location & changing speeds.

I think so too. Max velo and max spin are things elbows aren't designed for. I think relievers throwing 102+ with crazy movement are about to be the next big group to go under the knife.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
TarponChaser said:

Mathguy64 said:

It's real.

I'm amazed that the Mariners have avoided any hits thus far.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
It is the difference between the rare guys who are truly THAT talented and those that havr been manufactured through training and max effort.

I think of how off the charts Billy Wagner was as a flamethrower on pure FB and SL. That was talent. His measurables would look pedestrian in a modern day bullpen full of arms who aren't nearly as talented.
Texaggie7nine
Ready Spaghetti

Thinking of making a paper airplane to try to get into the Detroit dugout addressed to Hinch saying "Please Come Home"
7nine
TarponChaser
SpaceCityAg05 said:

It is the difference between the rare guys who are truly THAT talented and those that havr been manufactured through training and max effort.

I think of how off the charts Billy Wagner was as a flamethrower on pure FB and SL. That was talent. His measurables would look pedestrian in a modern day bullpen full of arms who aren't nearly as talented.

There's also a focus on stuff over pitching. Look at Verlander and how long he lasted before TJ. He always has 99-100 in his pocket but usually threw at lower effort level to sit 92-94 but occasionally would reach back for something extra and throw 99.

I see kids these days throwing 80mph at 13-14 and emptying the tank with everything they've got and the bones, ligaments, and tendons just aren't strong enough yet to handle the stress. They may not get hurt immediately but they're often the ones who have TJ at a young age.

And in the pros, they wring every bit of velo and spin out of an arm to focus on stuff vs. pitching which eventually catches up with an arm.

Greg Maddux had 94 in the tank but he figured out early on that location and changing speeds was more effective so he never tried to throw max effort. Yeah, he got favorable calls but a lot of that was because he'd have the catcher set up 6" off the plate and dot that up. He'd also start his 2-seam 8" off the plate on his glove side and have it run arm-side into the black and freeze dudes.
W
AG
whoops, that pitch hung up over the plate
W
AG
and that one found the Crawfords
wessimo
AG
Sub ideal
W
AG
another offspeed hanger
Texaggie7nine
Why isn't Verlander pitching?
7nine
Marvin
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Why isn't Verlander pitching?

Neck issue
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
Need the offense to be ready today
Marvin
AG
Not the ideal start. Offense needs to carry the day because it appears Spaghetti will burn through his pitches in the first and leave us in a deep hole.
W
AG
Arrighetti is attacking the middle of the plate
scrimp
AG
You have a guy 1-2 and you throw a fb middle middle?
wessimo
AG
Ok get some runs
texasaggie2015
AG
Brutal spot for Arrighetti today. I don't expect much from him unfortunately
Marvin
AG
Almost made him throw double digit pitches…
mwm
Arighetti doing his best Verlander imitation.

Hopefully, he settles in & the offense gives him some support.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Going to need to locate that FB
Mathguy64
AG
Given the off days Thursday and Monday and the long day Brown gave yesterday you have to wonder if it would have been better to just throw a pen day today.
wessimo
W
AG
Spencer in a jam

may not have been ready to pitch today
scrimp
AG
Whelp….
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Get the pen going
Marvin
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Given the off days Thursday and Monday and the long day Brown gave yesterday you have to wonder if it would have been better to just throw a pen day today.

Yeah, it's a good question. But, who knew Arrighetti would struggle this badly.
First Page Last Page
Page 868 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.