***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,733,354 Views | 66697 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by RED AG 98
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Another pet peeve: People who start recording anytime a big moment is coming up. Put the phone away. Enjoy the moment. Take it in. It's 2024.. you can go home and rewatch on YouTube later a million times if you want.
This. At concerts. Drives me nuts.
Wabs
AG
It would be nice to go 6-0 in the next 2 series against the Tigers and White Sox and pull to 1 game under .500. You know, to get back into the season and everything?

One can dream, right?
Project Gemini
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Another pet peeve: People who start recording anytime a big moment is coming up. Put the phone away. Enjoy the moment. Take it in. It's 2024.. you can go home and rewatch on YouTube later a million times if you want.

I always think...WTF are you gonna do with that video afterwards?
This is one of my favorite recent pictures: Lebron's bucket for the points record. Everybody on their phones except for Phil Knight just living in the moment.

What an epic picture, I had not seen this before. Thanks for posting.
spadilly
S
Reminds me of this picture. Just a dude enjoying Tiger in front of him and not through a screen like everyone else. Soak in the moment.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Hey, Dana, the rotation ain't the problem buddy
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I think they may let me stick around through the White Sox series and then cut bait despite the fact it should have been done yesterday
MAROON
AG
spadilly said:

Reminds me of this picture. Just a dude enjoying Tiger in front of him and not through a screen like everyone else. Soak in the moment.

love that picture

Golf fan who went viral for holding beer while watching Tiger Woods now has official merchandise | Fox News

EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Ag_07
AG
Again...What do you really expect him to say?

'Yeah we suck...I don't see us turning it around and probably looking to sit pat and possibly even have a fire sale here shortly'

That's not gonna happen
txags92
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Hey, Dana, the rotation ain't the problem buddy
Can't get all the cylinders firing when you keep sticking the same broken spark plug in the lineup.
texasaggie2015
AG
Ag_07 said:

'Yeah we suck...I don't see us turning it around and probably looking to sit pat and possibly even have a fire sale here shortly'

That's not gonna happen
I will never understand why people get so mad at this. It's PR.

I worked in media for a long time. What these guys tell you on air versus what they tell you off the record is completely different.
txags92
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I think they may let me stick around through the White Sox series and then cut bait despite the fact it should have been done yesterday
Sounds like they know what needs to happen and aren't seeing any signs that anything has changed, but they are just dragging their feet on actually making the call, even though they know it needs to happen.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Ag_07 said:

That's not gonna happen

I worked in media for a long time. What these guys tell you on air versus what they tell you off the record is completely different.
Exactly. Why a team's fans wants their GM to reveal their plans and get taken advantage of is beyond me.

It's better to just ignore GM and Coach speak and not let it bother you.
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Ag_07 said:

That's not gonna happen

My only problem is when they make statements that are just blatantly and clearly untrue in the name of trying to not say something controversial. When we can go look up the stats and see that what they are saying is not true, they would be better off just not answering the question if they can't at least say something that is not demonstrably false.

Like when Abreu was coming back after his Palm Beach trip and he or Espada said something about how well Abreu had hit or that he showed signs of real improvement. At the time, his performance and objective stats against much easier pitching didn't show anything of the sort. So he could have said something like "we are hopeful he will come back with an improved approach at the plate" that would be completely true, instead of telling us he was looking better, which wasn't true based on how he hit down there.
n_touch
EastCoastAgNc said:

Think we found the problem Jose. Get off Texags and focus!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Autocorrect strikes again
agproducer
AG
I think they will DFA Abreu after the White Sox series. He will get to play a couple games in front of the Chicago crowd, get to tip his cap to the fans and then ride off into the sunset.
cc10106
Hopefully Abreu can give his team a boost against his former division in these next two series before Baltimore comes to town.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah but you have to keep in mind the entire situation. It was an agreed upon schedule and arrangement.

So they're not gonna come out and say 'Yeah he's still not right. Hasn't figured much out and nothing has changed' only for them to stick to the arrangement and bring him back.
txags92
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah but you have to keep in mind the entire situation. It was an agreed upon schedule and arrangement.

So they're not gonna come out and say 'Yeah he's still not right. Hasn't figured much out and nothing has changed' only for them to stick to the arrangement and bring him back.
So say something like "We are encouraged by what we saw and hope he can come in and contribute with a better approach at the plate.", instead of something like "He hit the ball pretty well down there and we think he is ready to turn the corner." The first statement doesn't say anything that wasn't objectively true. The second statement contains an outright lie.
texasaggie2015
AG
Maybe I'm in the minority, but it just doesn't bother me at all. I just don't listen to any of it. It's the same deal everywhere.
Project Gemini
AG
In a world where Presidents, politicians, and people of public service constantly lie to our faces, I don't get too worked up about the kind of things Dana is saying about a sports team.
iBrad
AG
When we get to Chicago, we're going to trade Abreu for Maldy. Abreu will retire with the White Sox and Maldy will transition to a coaching role.
agproducer
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but it just doesn't bother me at all. I just don't listen to any of it. It's the same deal everywhere.
I agree. It's all just PR spin -- the art of saying something while saying nothin. It doesn't both me at all.
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

As said by the next poster down, it is something that is pretty common these days with politicians and other cheats to just openly lie. Particularly the older ones who still haven't learned that the internet is forever and we can actually verify what they are claiming.

The only reason it bugs me is because for somebody in Dana or Espada's position, there is no reason to lie. For a politician, they are lying to get elected. For Dana and Espada, they already have the job and nobody expects them to say anything meaningful. They are expected to speak in cliches and generally sound hopeful. But when they decide to go beyond that and actual make a real statement, what they are saying should be true, or they just shouldn't say it.
texasaggie2015
AG
They actually tried sending him to Chicago a while back, but Chicago would only do it if we took Benintendi's contract.. which would be trading a huge problem for another huge problem. That ended the conversation really fast.
texasaggie2015
AG
There's 100% a reason to lie.

Telling the public your trade deadline and roster plans only hurts your organization. You don't announce your cards at the poker table.

Maybe he could say "no comment" but I know people would be upset with that too.
CFTXAG10
AG
Hear anything about Meyers to the Phillies for pitching?
texasaggie2015
AG
I have not but it makes sense.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
txags92 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Ag_07 said:

That's not gonna happen

My only problem is when they make statements that are just blatantly and clearly untrue in the name of trying to not say something controversial. When we can go look up the stats and see that what they are saying is not true, they would be better off just not answering the question if they can't at least say something that is not demonstrably false.

Like when Abreu was coming back after his Palm Beach trip and he or Espada said something about how well Abreu had hit or that he showed signs of real improvement. At the time, his performance and objective stats against much easier pitching didn't show anything of the sort. So he could have said something like "we are hopeful he will come back with an improved approach at the plate" that would be completely true, instead of telling us he was looking better, which wasn't true based on how he hit down there.

This is a pretty accurate summary of why I get annoyed with the way they talk about things. We as fans aren't stupid.
Ag_07
AG
They don't think you are. They just aren't going to speak honestly.

What person in any industry goes in front of a camera or a microphone and is completely open and honest?
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Telling the public your trade deadline and roster plans only hurts your organization. You don't announce your cards at the poker table.

I am not talking about trade plans, I am talking about things like telling us Abreu hit well in Palm Beach when he didn't. Or telling us the bullpen is fine when they are a dumpster fire. The trade stuff is fine if they want to talk generalities and not give details that would give away our plans. Again, as you said, it is all just coach speak and nobody expects them to say anything of great importance, so when they do decide to actually make a specific statement or take a position, they should try to at least do it in a way that can't be immediately debunked.
iBrad
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

txags92 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Ag_07 said:

That's not gonna happen

This is a pretty accurate summary of why I get annoyed with the way they talk about things. We as fans aren't stupid.

Speak for yourself. There are plenty of stupid fans, and they make up the majority of every fan base.

A guy I used to work with used to say, "picture a person of average intelligence…now realize that half the population is dumber than them."
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He can say "we have some feelers out for positions of need but I don't want to get into specifics" and nobody would have a problem with it.
First Page Last Page
Page 855 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.