***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,434,589 Views | 61920 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by aggie813
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yall are spoiled. Not everyone on this team can hit .300 with a .900 OPS and we can't bench everyone.

Yanier is doing alright. Yes he's behind his production last year but he's also had a lot added to his plate this season. He's not a liability and doing alright for where he is in the lineup.

Overall this team is not in as bad a spot as everyone wants to think they are. After 50 games they're 5 GB of the division and 4.5 GB of a WC. They have 112 games to make up 5 and they're trending up.

Not all that bad.
redline248
AG
#1 we aren't ending the thread in May

#2 Dubon is not leading off on a day Altuve is in the lineup
Ag_07
AG
redline248 said:

#1 we aren't ending the thread in May

#2 Dubon is not leading off on a day Altuve is in the lineup

#3 Yordan should never bat 5th
redline248
AG
I seriously didn't even go past 1
FrioAg 00
AG
We need Bregman's return to be real, and we need Yordon to revert to his mean.

Just those make this offense plenty potent.
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

Just saw a kid at my school this morning while I was on morning duty wearing a Jose Abreu jersey…. That's got to be a first
My all-time head scratcher at Amon Cater in Fort Worth for Ags-Frogs in 1995. There was a kid wearing a Colorado Rockies Joe Girardi jersey.
All I do is Nguyen
_veeyah_ said:

Some of my students sometimes have way more faith in this Astros team than me. At they actually convince me at times not to give up on this team. Hahah
Living so close to DC and Philly I get hit with students from both teams talking **** lol. It's okay though the '22 world series gives me plenty of ammo to fire back at them
The Porkchop Express
AG
Yainer is a tremendous disappointment on offense so far, it's just not that noticeable because Abreu, and for most of the year, Bregman have been even bigger disappointments.

Yainer is almost halfway to his plate appearance total of 2023 (185 this year, 377 last year). He's down almost 150 points in slugging percentage and 140 points in OPS. His eye has gotten better. He has walks and 26 strikeouts compared to 11 walks and 74 strikeouts. We were clamoring for him to hit cleanup in April and I think he did at least once. Now he's batting 8th/9th. Sure he's a lot better on offense than Maldonado was, but after a very nice April he's been just terrible. his May is .227 ba, .246 ob, 303 slg, .549 ops with0 HR 1 walk and 10 strikeouts.

He had 2 homers on April 1, another on April 11 and nothing since.
tjack16
AG
50 games in and Chas/Diaz/Bregman have a combined 7 HR and are all OPSing under .685
All I do is Nguyen
This is another reason why I love baseball. MLB Players really are just big kids playing

Farmer1906
AG

Yainer is squarely behind Abreu, Bregman, & McCormick when it comes to disappointment and "blame". However, I think he can recover fairly easily. He's made some progress on not whiffing and striking out, even drawing a few walks. However, his outrageously good contact rate aka bat-to-ball skills may be hurting him in a way. He seems to get to everything. Now, he's putting in on the ground and not elevating it.

Looking at the rest, let's just hope Dubon keeps being the odds. I know Yordan is in the middle of a slump, but he's had some bad luck as well. I think we all have faith he busts out soon. How about Jake Meyers? Dude has just been hitting the piss out of the ball.
Farmer1906
AG
Let's Play Guess the Center Fielder by their Savant Dashboard.

Hint: 3 of the 6 are former MVPs. Of the 3 that haven't won an MVP, 2 finished top 5 last year.

Mike Trout

Julio Rodriguez

Aaron Judge

Corbin Carroll

Cody Bellinger

Jake Meyers
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Hint: 3 of the 6 are former MVPs. Of the 3 that haven't won an MVP, 2 finished top 5 last year.

Mike Trout

Julio Rodriguez

Aaron Judge

Corbin Carroll

Cody Bellinger

Jake Meyers

Farmer1906
AG
Everyone's favorite ace to hate.

All I do is Nguyen
I'm with Chop on this, I grow tired of these guessing games
Farmer1906
AG
Right right. Maybe I should just post "We need to move Bregman from the 4 hole" & "Espada is in over his head" over and over like everyone else.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Right right. Maybe I should just post "We need to move Bregman from the 4 hole" & "Espada is in over his head" over and over like everyone else.

Add in start Dubon everyday or move Brown to the bullpen
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I wasn't trying to slight you. I just find these stats impossible to read and well beyond my desire to learn about. My baseball stat cup runneth over. In no way was I trying to say you shouldn't post any of this stuff, it's just above my baseball fan pay grade.
All I do is Nguyen
Same. I don't know enough about other players to truly guess who is who
Ag_07
AG
Thanks for the spoiler tags.

As long as those are there keep the guessing games coming!
Mathguy64
AG
It would have been easier to figure out Trout with his uni number.

And didn't Corbin play RF last year as a rookie?
Farmer1906
AG
He split between the two.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mike Trout

Julio Rodriguez

Aaron Judge

Corbin Carroll

Cody Bellinger

Jake Meyers

Whoever they are I'm sure Jake is the best or 2nd of the group and it probably includes like Judge, Bellinger and Acuna
Mathguy64
AG
Speaking of Acuna and his insane HR total from last year? He's found Earth again. He's hit 3 HR this year. So has Albies. In fact so has the entire team with only 51.

You have to wonder if last year involved a lot of Judge/Albert specials that somehow found their way to Atlanta.
Booma94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Speaking of Acuna and his insane HR total from last year? He's found Earth again. He's hit 3 HR this year. So has Albies. In fact so has the entire team with only 51.

You have to wonder if last year involved a lot of Judge/Albert specials that somehow found their way to Atlanta.
Braves need to fire Cintron and Snitker...
Ag_07
AG
Booma94 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Braves need to fire Cintron and Snitker...
Chef Elko
AG
It's almost like we face some of the same problems other teams do
Beau Holder
AG
The Braves are 10 games over and we are 6 under, I wouldn't call them the same problems.
tjack16
AG
Beau Holder said:

The Braves are 10 games over and we are 6 under, I wouldn't call them the same problems.

They also swept us at Minute Maid
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

You're right. It's not the same problems. We have guys like Tucker, Pena, & Meyers stepping up. They only have Ozuna. Our offense has been better.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

You're right. It's not the same problems. We have guys like Tucker, Pena, & Meyers stepping up. They only have Ozuna. Our offense has been better.

Yep. Ozuna had been playing out of his mind. Everyone else is essentially league average as a hitter. They are doing it this year with pitching. Sale and Morton both have been fountain of youth reclamations. Well, to be fair CM keeps being a reclamation year after year. It's amazing that he keeps doing it.
Farmer1906
AG
Yup. We spend a bunch of time *****ing about hitters. But the major issue is pitching. We're not winning **** while being dead last in pitching WAR.

27th in ERA
28th in FIP
28th in xFIP
29th in SIERA
29th in K-BB%
28th in WHIP

The Porkchop Express
AG
If you want a day game to follow, Giants @ Pirates starts in 10 minutes - Skenes going for the Bucs is 1-0 with a 2.70 ERA, 0.90 WHIP and 16.2 K / 9 IP in his first 2 MLB starts.
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

I think I'd take a slightly worse offense and a fairly secure path to the playoffs over 12th place in our league.

Their production from 3B also beats Bregman across the board and that's with Riley starting slow and getting hurt and someone allegedly named Zack Short filling in for him.
Beau Holder
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

If you want a day game to follow, Giants @ Pirates starts in 10 minutes - Skenes going for the Bucs is 1-0 with a 2.70 ERA, 0.90 WHIP and 16.2 K / 9 IP in his first 2 MLB starts.

Gonna be a certified hater and root for the Yanks and Phils first (ew)
First Page Last Page
Page 679 of 1770

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.