***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,744,636 Views | 66730 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by Marvin
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't look now, but in very small sample, according to Fangraphs, Loperfido has been our third best defensive player behind Bregman and Meyers. Seems like a split between left and centerfield would be best as the current roster is built. Keep mashing, Big Jon.
Farmer1906
AG
https://www.tankathon.com/mlb/remaining_schedule_strength

We have the 26th hardest schedule remaining, including 30 games vs MIA, CWS, COL, LAA, STL, & CIN.

If we play at an 80% clip in those 30 games then .50% vs everyone else it gets us to 85 wins.
Booma94
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I'm think it's more so you can spin it as he's a better closer but we have that covered so we're help by him by helping ourselves.

And best yet is it's true, press has never pitched well in non save situations and it has continued for the most part
He was acquired as a set up man and continued in that role for 2 seasons as an Astror. It wasn't until they got out of the got the Roberto Osuna business that Pressly got the promotion to closer.
Prosperdick
AG
MaxPower said:

If this happened to Angel Hernandez, could it increase his ball-strike accuracy?
W
AG
astros4545 said:

Our announcer for tomorrows game

might have Robert & Sparky on standby
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

Don't look now, but in very small sample, according to Fangraphs, Loperfido has been our third best defensive player behind Bregman and Meyers. Seems like a split between left and centerfield would be best as the current roster is built. Keep mashing, Big Jon.

Savant shows Loperfido had only had 5 balls that were catchable, but less than 95% catch rate.

1/1 on 1* (91-95%)
3/3 on 2* (76-90%)
0/0 on 3* (51-75%)
0/0 on 4* (26-50%)
0/1 on 5* (0-25%)

The run value on those 5 plays is just under 1/2. His +1 (0.9 rounded up) Run Value is from his arm

Link to Video where 0.77 of his value came from.

He hasn't thrown the ball enough for savant to show his arm strength. I don't think its anything special though.

While I was looking, here is where Jake stands on his arm strength.

Not quite as noodle-armed as yall thought.
The Porkchop Express
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

MaxPower said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Dana was thrilled they were able to sign him.
ketch who is this?
Not sure why you call him ketch but he was referring to Chase Jaworsky from last year's draft.

It is because he knows things before everyone else. an insiders insider you might say
Life is better with a beagle
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
As I said before. I was referencing post promotion to closer.

Since he came the guy he has consistently struggled in non save situations.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If I am able to watch, it will certainly be on mute
The Porkchop Express
AG
It's not often you're envious of your opponent's starting pitcher, when that guy is 1-6 with a 5.14 ERA. But today is a little different.
W
AG
Stripling did it right

had the best season of his career in his contract year

then went into Rendon-mode or Javy Baez-mode

and has been really bad
W
AG
once Chas returns

Espada is going to have a daily dilemma with the outfield
Farmer1906
AG
Jake Meyers is 6th in wRC+ for CFers and 3rd in xwOBA behind Trout & Judge. Min set at 80 PA. I don't think he THAT dude but is a nice start and should earn him the CF starts vs LHP and a share of starts vs RHP.
Farmer1906
AG

MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

linkdude said:

Savant shows Loperfido had only had 5 balls that were catchable, but less than 95% catch rate.

1/1 on 1* (91-95%)
3/3 on 2* (76-90%)
0/0 on 3* (51-75%)
0/0 on 4* (26-50%)
0/1 on 5* (0-25%)

The run value on those 5 plays is just under 1/2. His +1 (0.9 rounded up) Run Value is from his arm

He hasn't thrown the ball enough for savant to show his arm strength. I don't think its anything special though.

I'd like to see a venn diagram of the Meyers haters and Dusty / machete truthers. I bet the overlap is extraordinarily high.
linkdude
AG
I would guess Cabbage goes down on Chas' return to the roster. But agreed, we have a glut of options. Hoping Dubon is mostly infield depth vs. outfield.
tjack16
AG
W said:

once Chas returns

He shouldn't. Play Loperfido and Meyers everyday until one of them struggles. When they both play, our offense does well
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

W said:

once Chas returns

He shouldn't. Play Loperfido and Meyers everyday until one of them struggles. When they both play, our offense does well
Offer then both $10 million to spend 4 hours a day learning to play 3B. Winner get the money
MaxPower
Dubon can already play 3B. Just need Bregman to have a good week to crank up trade value….
The Porkchop Express
AG
MaxPower said:

Dubon can already play 3B. Just need Bregman to have a good week to crank up trade value….
Everybody keeps saying that, but is it really true? He's played 3B 18 games in a 6 year career, and only 3 of those with the Astros in 246 games with the team.
tjack16
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

MaxPower said:

Everybody keeps saying that, but is it really true? He's played 3B 18 games in a 6 year career, and only 3 of those with the Astros in 246 games with the team.

He played 3rd while Bregman was hurt this year and won the series (home vs Rangers)
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, Dubon can play anywhere in a pinch. He's very skilled. But there's a couple positions they won't want him playing on a regular basis and third base is one of them.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

linkdude said:

1/1 on 1* (91-95%)
3/3 on 2* (76-90%)
0/0 on 3* (51-75%)
0/0 on 4* (26-50%)
0/1 on 5* (0-25%)

Arm strength is only part of the equation. He's also inaccurate as hell. It's undeniable that teams run on him all the time.
MaxPower
What are your thoughts on Dusty and machete?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I'm not completely against Jake. He's playing well right now but his arm can lead to issues.

Also I wanted dusty canned and machete on the bench for Diaz.

To expand I thought Chas should've been the everyday CF last year. His play earned it and Jake struggled a lot. Chas definitely hasn't run away with it this year and Jake has been solid. So he's earned time. He should keep playing until he starts struggling.
MaxPower
Damn my theory is already blown
All I do is Nguyen
MaxPower
He was a stud last year. Wonder if he's injured (happens a lot).
Farmer1906
AG
Last year was a career year. He started the year injured. It could be slowing him down.

Edit: the dip in speed and power probably means injury. I don't think age has caught up with him yet at 30.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
This might be fun.

texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Was the slugging more than that last year or am I not remembering correctly
iBrad
AG
Keep fighting the good fight for Jake, but minds have been made up.
iamtheglove
astros4545 said:

Our announcer for tomorrows game

Jenny and Julia are great people. Worked with them both for many years, really proud of what both have accomplished and nice to see the networks showcasing them both.

First Page Last Page
Page 553 of 1907

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.