***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,748,275 Views | 66749 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by BadAggie
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

The question has to be do you punt the season now? Trading Pressly doesn't necessarily mean you are punting, but it probably sends a negative message to the rest of the team.

The mariners did it back to back seasons and still made the playoffs one of the years. Trading Graveman and Siwald

Trading your set up man away isn't the end of the world. Especially if you're concerned he won't turn it around
texasaggie2015
AG
They're in a tough spot. They have an owner who hates losing and it remains to be seen if he can stomach a full rebuild. Right now they're trying to get creative and make moves that will put them in a spot to win again in 2025 while not mortgaging the future. What does that look like? I'm not sure. But I'm told that's the goal right now, though it could change quickly depending on how the next couple weeks go.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm think it's more so you can spin it as he's a better closer but we have that covered so we're help by him by helping ourselves.

And best yet is it's true, press has never pitched well in non save situations and it has continued for the most part
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Orioles apparently are interested in Pressly

Love Pressly but yeah I'd pull the trigger and get some decent prospects if you can. Maybe even Kjerstad or McDermott
I doubt you can get Kjerstad for Pressly straight up. I like Povich better than McDermott and he fits our need for a lefty starter. Maybe they can get Kjerstad, Povich and another player for Framber and Pressly. Both Povich and Kjerstad are big league ready so it fits the goal of trying to contend in 2025.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
And once everyone is healthy the time is now to trade some younger arms and restock the farm to whatever extent you can.

Maybe package Urquidy and Chaz/Jake for a package and LuAce/Framber and Jake/Chaz for more youth

Then give Joey some space and see how he does and maybe throw Leon out there and see if we're ever getting something there

Focus on prospects needs to be corner infield
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

They're in a tough spot. They have an owner who hates losing and it remains to be seen if he can stomach a full rebuild. Right now they're trying to get creative and make moves that will put them in a spot to win again in 2025 while not mortgaging the future. What does that look like? I'm not sure. But I'm told that's the goal right now, though it could change quickly depending on how the next couple weeks go.
Makes sense. I think they have to wait until they're further out of it before they can sell Crane on the idea. Value won't change much between now and June.

Personally I don't think you have to go full rebuild anyway. I realize our pitching sucks but Framber specifically has enough value to get a prospect or two who can contribute in 2025 and it's a good free agent class for pitchers (plus you theoretically have LMC, Garcia, and Urquidy back). I'd say you trade him for a big league ready prospect then love Pressly, JV and an excess OF to focus around n high ceiling lower tier guys. That may seem like a lot to trade anyway but given their age you have to worry the wheels fall off JV and Pressly in 2025 anyway. Most of their value is tied up in helping a team this year. I don't see any way they can trade Tucker and still be competitive in 2025 so I take that to mean he's off the table.
MaxPower
Totally agree we should be looking to move at least one of Jake or Chas. We need to see Leon and Loperfido get a lot of big league time (maybe Cabbage too).

I'd also look at trading Jon. A team desperate for a 1B may give you something and that gives Cabbage a spot to play to see if he can stick.
texasaggie2015
AG
You're not getting anything for Jon Singleton.
Beau Holder
AG
htxag09 said:

Beau Holder said:

Johnsy3 said:

mwm said:

I switched over from the other game looking for some good baseball.

I didn't find any over here, either.

What a crappy day of baseball

Mariners and Rangers both got spanked by bad teams, Jankees got blown out, it wasn't all terrible.

Blue Jays were down 7-1 and won. Which shows it can be done, just not by the Astros.

Maybe it's just me, but at this point I don't really care if the rangers, mariners, Yankees, etc lose. We have our own **** to worry about.

All I care about are how the Aggies did and the Astros. They both sucked donkey balls yesterday. Ags are slumping at the absolute wrong time.

I like to watch other baseball besides just the Astros and I'll never not find it enjoyable when the bad guys lose. Why let the Astros make us miserable?

As for the Ags, the absolute wrong time would be in the Tournament.
Beau Holder
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Love Tucker at leadoff. Not sure why three hits ended the Bregman-where-he-belongs-in-the-lineup move but I guess this lineup isn't striking much fear right now no matter how it's constructed.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If you saw this lineup a year ago, you'd assume Dusty was still managing.
Life is better with a beagle
W
AG
that was one of the concerns with hiring Espada

had too much of Dusty's influence
texasaggie2015
AG
linkdude
AG
You serious, Clark?
redline248
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I'm think it's more so you can spin it as he's a better closer but we have that covered so we're help by him by helping ourselves.

And best yet is it's true, press has never pitched well in non save situations and it has continued for the most part
Didn't he have something like a 50 inning scoreless streak as a setup over '18-19?
n_touch
Big Bucks said:

bearkatag15 said:

Orioles apparently are interested in Pressly

Going to pay myself in the back here. I called this one on this thread a week ago. Just makes a ton of sense for all players and both ball clubs to make this happen.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Pena Popper Numbers

Currently on pace for:
96 runs scored
212 hits
25 2B
4 3B
17 HR
66 RBI
and perhaps most impressively, only 87 strikeouts after back to back years of 135 and 129.

May Pena: 14 for 35 (.400) with a 1.033 OPS.
Pena vs. Lefties: 18 for 44 (.409) with a 1.104 OPS
Pena at Home: 26 for 71 (.366) with a .958 OPS

EastCoastAgNc
AG

MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

Yeah he's been hot since a mid-April slump. Highest ceiling of our A ball position player prospects.
txags92
AG
Beau Holder said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Love Tucker at leadoff. Not sure why three hits ended the Bregman-where-he-belongs-in-the-lineup move but I guess this lineup isn't striking much fear right now no matter how it's constructed.
Apparently getting his average back over .200 is enough to get his cleanup spot back.
tjack16
AG
txags92 said:

Beau Holder said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Apparently getting his average back over .200 is enough to get his cleanup spot back.

Barring him 6th worked but I guess Espada thought 3 games was too much… so yay back to cleanup spot pop ups
tjack16
AG
Flaherty is somebody I always wanted the Astros to get while Strom was here. I feel like his stuff when tweaked by our old pitching staff would have been elite
txags92
AG
tjack16 said:

txags92 said:

Beau Holder said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Barring him 6th worked but I guess Espada thought 3 games was too much… so yay back to cleanup spot pop ups
I guess seeing Peña hit 9-14 in 4 games at cleanup was just more than Espada could take.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I was referencing once he had been a closer. It seems like a switch flips for relievers and once they're the closer they can't pitch in other scenarios. And now this year since being bumped he still hasn't been great.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Pena up to .349
tjack16
AG
Now we get to see a popup to end the 1st
The D
AG
Pena has been a massive bright spot this year. Dude is playing great
The D
AG
And bregman is back
Beau Holder
AG
tjack16 said:

txags92 said:

Beau Holder said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

How about a K instead?
superaggie73
AG
That's my cleanup hitter
Aggie8587
AG
Bregman
The Porkchop Express
AG
I just can't fathom changing something up, having it work, and then almost immediately veering away from it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wow JV, comes out dealing.
texasaggie2015
AG

From a recent Nightengale article. I can say with confidence it's more than the two mentioned here.
Ag4life80
AG
Don't look now, but Ol' Joe is going back to the L R L R etc lineup of yesteryear
First Page Last Page
Page 546 of 1908

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.