***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,512,786 Views | 63136 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Ag_07 said:

W said:

Abreu is 0 for 29 on the road this year

fire him up at 1B this afternoon

How is this even possible?

I feel like if you just stand there and hold your bat out and close your eyes you'd get lucky and get a squibbed que shot seeing eye grounder.
I think the guy from Dude Perfect did better than against Leclerq in that Spring Training video they did...
He did...it's a good video and yes, he's probably got a quicker bat than Abreu right now, of course he is 35 and not 40 lol.
Mathguy64
AG
I have been saying for 2 weeks that they had until the last week in April. If things didn't improve that they couldn't afford to dog the hole any deeper.

Well it's the last week in April and they managed to dog it deeper.

It's got to be fish or cut bait time. And Jim Crane is on the clock. Eat the money and DFA him. Don't DFA him but he rides the line and never plays again. Or keep doing the same thing that isn't working over and over again.

This is on Crane. It's his money. Lose the rest of $40MM or lose every dollar from the rest of the season. Dollars in gate and beer sales. I'm betting that's a lot more than $40MM.
Farmer1906
AG
I went back 10 years and looked at the difference between wRC+ normally vs wRC+ w/RISP.

The 2024 Astros are the 9th worst out of those 300 teams. The small sample size is going to cause some weird things. The 1 through 3 spots are the '24 Twins, '24 Red Sox, and '24 Blue Jays. On the flip side, the '24 Rangers are the best over the 10 years. If we ignore '24 and '20, then the best was the '21 Mariners (Fun Differential).

It's bad. It's a problem. Maybe not historically terrible though.

All I do is Nguyen
Mathguy64
AG
Umm if we are 9th worst over 10 years it's 9th worst out of 300 in the sample.

I think that's historically bad. It's BAD any way you want to shape it.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If 2024 makes up the best handful or teams and the worst handful of teams, it probably means the small size of 2024 isn't a good piece of data. It'll smooth out. Just by dumb luck we should be closer to our normal offensive level.
07ag
AG
jja79 said:

07ag said:

n_touch said:

Maroon&Fight said:

I'm all in on the Aggies, will check back in after our CWS title. This team is no fun
Wasn't there someone that said they would trade bad seasons for one team for a title for another.

How do you watch college baseball games?

Do you have SEC Network as part of your TV package? If so you have SECN+ via the ESPN app. The vast majority of our games are there.
i have espn+, but do not have a tv package, is that a requirement?
https://ts.la/eric59704
Booma94
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

If 2024 makes up the best handful or teams and the worst handful of teams, it probably means the small size of 2024 isn't a good piece of data. It'll smooth out. Just by dumb luck we should be closer to our normal offensive level.
Exactly- regression to the mean. Combine that with 'Due Theory' and this team is destined for a massive correction.
AgSportsFan89
AG
07ag said:

jja79 said:

07ag said:

n_touch said:

Maroon&Fight said:

I'm all in on the Aggies, will check back in after our CWS title. This team is no fun
Wasn't there someone that said they would trade bad seasons for one team for a title for another.

How do you watch college baseball games?

Do you have SEC Network as part of your TV package? If so you have SECN+ via the ESPN app. The vast majority of our games are there.
i have espn+, but do not have a tv package, is that a requirement?

Unfortunately, yes. Only time you will be able to watch games are the occasional out of conference games that are specifically on ESPN+ (i believe Texas State was the only one this season). The SEC+ games require tv packages. I hate how confusing it is. And remaining games are on SEC+ or main SEC network it looks like.
W
AG
hold on, Big Jon starting at first base today

hopefully he will get his first RBI of the season

Dubon in CF -- he will get some AB's in Chicago
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AggiEE
Does JV hate Meyers?
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Does JV hate Meyers?

He caught him checking out Kate.
West Roxbury
I really am still pissed at the absolutely inability to hit at home in the playoffs and allowing the Rangers to take 4 freaking games at home. It's a mind game for those guys. Random or not, I resent that we could not just take one game. Silly perhaps but has just carried over to my disgust at this start.

Then, back up pitching or not, I just don't see the leadership or hunger this season. Impossible to quantify. And I know it's a long season. Our batting average may be okay but we don't score runs.
West Roxbury
All I do is Nguyen said:

Yes.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Or we are just going to be unlucky this year. All luck (good or bad) is a string of unusual outcomes strung together.

The Law of Large numbers will always kick in. But it doesn't have to kick in tomorrow.

There are lots of data points that suggest this team is making bad choices that look like bad luck. Consider the multiyear record in ManfredBall. The abysmal record in 1 run games.
W
AG
recall that Jake forgot how many outs there were in the bottom of the 1st yesterday

not a good look
AggieJ2002
AG
The records gotten so bad now that we can't even look at the record any more until and unless we go on some sort of run of good baseball. With the way we've played that seems highly unlikely, but we've seen enough baseball to know that things can turn around really quickly, so I'm still holding out some hope because I'm a glutton for punishment. It's the hope that kills you
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AggieJ2002
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

There is not a shortage of candidates
Beat40
AggieJ2002 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

There is not a shortage of candidates

My guess is Spencer will come out and be sent back down to AAA. He's got options, and not many other pitching options do.
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Or we are just going to be unlucky this year. All luck (good or bad) is a string of unusual outcomes strung together.

The Law of Large numbers will always kick in. But it doesn't have to kick in tomorrow.

There are lots of data points that suggest this team is making bad choices that look like bad luck. Consider the multiyear record in ManfredBall. The abysmal record in 1 run games.

It starts and stops with Yordan and Tucker hitting more than singles when men are on base and less than 2 outs. That alone will produce more runs. Sure, the other guys have to produce as well, but when Altuve is getting on base at the rate he currently is, Yordan has to do more than just move him to 2nd every time. He's gotta get him to 3rd sometimes so Tucker an at least drive him in with a sac fly at minimum.
The Porkchop Express
AG
You know while I want Bregman to play better, imagine the hometown discount we could get if he stays on his current pace and finishes the year with 0 home runs and 39 RBI.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't want Bregman if his swing keeps looking like it does.
f1ghtintexasaggie
The Porkchop Express said:

You know while I want Bregman to play better, imagine the hometown discount we could get if he stays on his current pace and finishes the year with 0 home runs and 39 RBI.

You would jump to pay that player more money???
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Bingo

At this rate there isn't a hometown discount big enough.

He looks REALLY bad.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

he's on pace for that discount being the 5 finger variety.

Cuz no one is paying for that
redline248
AG
W said:

recall that Jake forgot how many outs there were in the bottom of the 1st yesterday

not a good look
Dubon has a slight edge, so far this year, against RHP.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Project Gemini
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Why do you guys hate our players so much?
OKCAg2002
AG
Why not Lopperfido?
Farmer1906
AG
Worried he might hit a 500' HR in that elevation. He's just not ready for the pressure that comes with that.
Mr.Bond
AG
I'm ready to get hurt again.....
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Game isn't up yet on MLB.tv. maybe they decided that such beatings are so explicit that they should not be watched
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 368 of 1804

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.