***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,847,585 Views | 67310 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by cone
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honestly I don't think he can reach those pitches. He's got short arms and he's choking up. Yeah he's close to the plate but to get to those outside pitches he's going to have to reach and take it away.
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm not a hitting guru so I won't pretend to be knowledgeable on his mechanics and what not but I think Bregman is too selective.

Yes he has an exceptional eye and command of the zone but it's almost to a fault.

He watches borderline pitches that yes they're balls but they often times get called strikes. While these are balls they're just outside the zone and hittable. I wanna see him swinging at those and doing damage.

Too often I feel like he's up there looking for a walk rather than inflecting damage.
There was a Fangraphs article in 21 or 22 that I read that talked about the reason he was so selective is b/c he knows what he is. A dead pull hitter. He's always hunted and done damage to pitches he can pull in the air.

I would suspect that the Astros know whether or not his bat speed is dropping...and I would think they wouldn't move him back up to 2 if bat speed was the reason he can't hit right now.
Post removed:
by user
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm not a hitting guru so I won't pretend to be knowledgeable on his mechanics and what not but I think Bregman is too selective.

Yes he has an exceptional eye and command of the zone but it's almost to a fault.

He watches borderline pitches that yes they're balls but they often times get called strikes. While these are balls they're just outside the zone and hittable. I wanna see him swinging at those and doing damage.

Too often I feel like he's up there looking for a walk rather than inflecting damage.

I've often thought he's been prioritizing walks over hits. He misses when it's over the middle/gets under them… and although he has an ELITE eye… he's depending on the umpire being elite as well. With the recent track record of MLB umps you can't bank on them calling every AB correctly. I'd love to see him hit a borderline outside pitch into right field (like he did in the 2022 WS against Alvarado)
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
You can't say Espada isn't willing to try.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

You can't say Espada isn't willing to try.

I'd try leaving Abreu in Houston on the next road trip. Or pulling a Home Alone 2 and putting him on the wrong flight when you go to Mexico
Beat40
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Beat40 said:

You're going to have to try it for more than one series though. It's like a 3 series move if you're going to make it.

If this were a truly new spot to him, then, yes, I'd agree with you. But he's bat 2 in our lineup for what, the last 3 years? Directly in between Altuve and Alvarez. At some point you're going to have to pull the plug, and I don't know about anyone else, but my patience is wearing thin with the vets not named Altuve making bank but not producing near what they are garnering.

If it were me, I give him 5 games there and reevaluate. No days off.
He actually hasn't batted 2 in the line-up except for last year alone. He's either been 3 or 4 most of the career with the Astros.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Chandler: "i have no indications that they are going to move on from Singleton or Abreu imminently"

I can only hope he is severly misinformed
Beau Holder
AG
Loperfido has to be hitting at least .500 with a sub-5% K rate in AAA first
Beat40
Beau Holder said:

No one is saying that.
f1ghtintexasaggie
Beat40 said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Beat40 said:

You're going to have to try it for more than one series though. It's like a 3 series move if you're going to make it.

If this were a truly new spot to him, then, yes, I'd agree with you. But he's bat 2 in our lineup for what, the last 3 years? Directly in between Altuve and Alvarez. At some point you're going to have to pull the plug, and I don't know about anyone else, but my patience is wearing thin with the vets not named Altuve making bank but not producing near what they are garnering.

If it were me, I give him 5 games there and reevaluate. No days off.
He actually hasn't batted 2 in the line-up except for last year alone. He's either been 3 or 4 most of the career with the Astros.

I stand corrected.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder said:

He pointed to Trey Cabbage as a candidate to get called up.
linkdude
AG
He's on the 40 man, that's the "logical" candidate
Mathguy64
AG
So. O/U on the number of runs given up in the first 2 innings?

I'll say 4.5.

Go.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So. O/U on the number of runs given up in the first 2 innings?

I'll say 4.5.

Go.

Under. Think he goes 4 innings 4 runs but they are spread out
All I do is Nguyen
I'll say under. We give up 4
All I do is Nguyen
Let's have some fun!

Blackbeard94
AG
I will take the over
Wabs
AG
Under. He'll go 4 innings, 5 runs, with multiple of those coming in the 4th inning.
Wabs
AG
Breggy 0 for last 17
Ag_07
AG
If the on field product doesn't make it hard enough to watch the last second break ins from commercial while the pitch is being delivered is annoying.
W
AG
'stros go quietly in the top of the 1st
Mathguy64
AG
Well that couldn't have been much worse.

Glass half full.
Wabs
AG
At least we ran his pitch count up to like 7
Beau Holder
AG
W said:

'stros go quietly in the top of the 1st

Scheduled post.
jetch17
AG
Oh boy
Wabs
AG
You just have to laugh. It's all we got.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Where the eff was Jon going?
W
AG
good life on Spencer's fastball
W
AG
Singleton doesn't like the cold
Mathguy64
AG
Literally nothing we do is positive.

It's comical how many bad things happen to this team.
Wabs
AG
Comedy show
gambochaman
AG
Black hole at first

WTF ARE YOU DOING DANA GDIT
First Page Last Page
Page 354 of 1924

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.