***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,845,020 Views | 67304 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by jkag89
Post removed:
by user
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
40 games: 15-25
81 games: 40-41
Final record: 90-72
iBrad
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

40 games: 15-25
81 games: 40-41
Final Record: 89-73

Praying the starters return healthy and hungry, the bats wake up, and we send Genie back to Agrabah

Didn't look through them all before posting mine, but nice to see other optimists.
bearkatag15
AG

Bregman moved up in the lineup… FFS
Cromagnum
AG
Oof

CFTXAG10
AG
Well I hope one of us is right
tjack16
AG
Bregman to the 2 hole

It'll make some Espada either look very smart or very dumb.

I'd personally have him and Pena flipped
3B Paul 97
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I like it. I would say 10 runs, but the cold weather/wind holds us to 6.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If you want to win, put my boy Caratini in!
Life is better with a beagle
iBrad
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I can support this. He wasn't going to be moved down. I think you can hide his struggles better in the 2-hole and take some of the pressure off of him to drive in runs. Let his focus be on getting on base.

Our first base options are still trash, though. Here's hoping Singleton happens to time one up for a bat flip.
bearkatag15
AG
tjack16 said:

Bregman to the 2 hole

It'll make some Espada either look very smart or very dumb.

I'd personally have him and Pena flipped

That's what I would have wanted as well
f1ghtintexasaggie
bearkatag15 said:

I don't mind trying it for a series as a last-chance, you-better-get-your-****-fixed-now option. This is where you've been hitting. There are no more excuses. If he doesn't become more productive after a couple games there, drop him to 9 to flip the lineup over with his walks (which he's not doing as well this year).

IMO this is about as good as it can get without getting Dubon in at 1b. If we don't produce with this lineup against a middling team like the Cubs, then bigger changes will be needed.
3B Paul 97
AG
Wabs said:

Any guesses?

Going off of logos, it looks like a late 70's/early '80s player.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Milt May
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wabs said:

Damn. Didn't think it was possible to be more pessimistic than me....
The A's and the Angels seem to be playing noticeably better. THe A's have several young arms that are doing work early, inculding their lights out closer. If the Astros don't get their **** together, they could easily go first to worst.
Wabs
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Milt May

Yep, I believe you got it.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
It took me a while because I was focusing on 80s Astros until I let my attention wander back to the mid 70s.
tjack16
AG
Luckily our division isn't that great this year. If we were in the AL East it might be over by June. That division might have all 3 wild card spots
bearkatag15
AG

Another one bites the dust
Post removed:
by user
n_touch
bearkatag15 said:

Pitch clock and removing anything to help grip the balls will kill baseball more than the steroids era did. It's funny that everyone thinks that only spider tack was only helping the pitchers, but I think some of the hitting problems we see are going back to that as well and the lack of control some pitchers have without it.

Another good job by Manfred.
CFTXAG10
AG
tjack16 said:

Luckily our division isn't that great this year. If we were in the AL East it might be over by June. That division might have all 3 wild card spots

And a bunch of division games remain, including 13 against Seattle
The Porkchop Express
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I was a big fan of his first cousin

Beat40
You're going to have to try it for more than one series though. It's like a 3 series move if you're going to make it.
bearkatag15
AG
W
AG
Dubon MIA in Chicago

don't need him apparently
houag78
AG
I really like to see :
A) Yordan in 3 hole
B) Yordan in LF

This year YA has 1.167 OPS when playing the field, .661 when DH.
We need the big man at maximum output!
Ag_07
AG
But we also don't want to see the big man flying into that unpadded brick wall while battling the wind.
Beat40
iBrad said:

bearkatag15 said:

I can support this. He wasn't going to be moved down. I think you can hide his struggles better in the 2-hole and take some of the pressure off of him to drive in runs. Let his focus be on getting on base.

Our first base options are still trash, though. Here's hoping Singleton happens to time one up for a bat flip.
In regard to Bregman, a lot on here are acting like he's never hit in the 4-spot before and been an RBI guy.

Here's his batting order for his career:
2017 - Batting all over the lineup
2018 - Batted 2nd most of the year, followed by 3rd
2019 - Bregman batted 3rd most of the year
2020 - Bregman batted 3rd or 4th most of the year
2021 - Bregman batted 3rd most of the year
2022 - Bregman batted 4th most of the year, followed by 3rd
2023 - it's the only year he batted the 2nd most of the year

He's has had the pressure of driving in runs almost every of his career - all while enduring slow Aprils. It's just this April happens to be one of the slowest he's ever had.

He's mentally capable of being in the 4-spot, and he's done it along with the 3rd spot most of his career.

The only reason I'm advocating moving him down is because, if Abreu wasn't on the Astros, he'd be by far the worst hitter on the team.

He does have the third highest walks on the team, so maybe that will help the team, but his OBP is abysmal.

He doesn't need to focus getting on base. He needs to focus on solid contact, line-drives, and just playing freaking baseball instead of tinkering. Then the on-base stuff will work itself out. Maybe batting 6th, 7th, or 8th will help him focus on that.
redline248
AG
His career numbers batting 4th are damn good, too. He's just awful right now
Mathguy64
AG
Maybe his swing is jacked from all the tinkering he does. I personally think his bat speed and reaction time has slowed enough that he can no longer effectively turn and pull the inside pitch and do damage to it. Maybe the leg injuries have cost him strength.

Whatever the reason I don't see it getting fixed. Just put him lower and see if he can be an effective 6/7 hole guy.

Yes that's a major change but it's time for some major changes.
cc10106
The Porkchop Express said:

bearkatag15 said:

I was a big fan of his first cousin

me when i hear Dana talk about 10 game win streaks:
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

Maybe his swing is jacked from all the tinkering he does. I personally think his bat speed and reaction time has slowed enough that he can no longer effectively turn and pull the inside pitch and do damage to it. Maybe the leg injuries have cost him strength.

Whatever the reason I don't see it getting fixed. Just put him lower and see if he can be an effective 6/7 hole guy.

Yes that's a major change but it's time for some major changes.
You've hit on something I've been curious about - I do wonder if he's bat speed has slowed.

Some of the fast-balls I thought he should have crushed this season, he's popped up. The two last night toward the end of the game in particular.
Ag_07
AG
I'm not a hitting guru so I won't pretend to be knowledgeable on his mechanics and what not but I think Bregman is too selective.

Yes he has an exceptional eye and command of the zone but it's almost to a fault.

He watches borderline pitches that yes they're balls but they often times get called strikes. While these are balls they're just outside the zone and hittable. I wanna see him swinging at those and doing damage.

Too often I feel like he's up there looking for a walk rather than inflecting damage.
f1ghtintexasaggie
Beat40 said:

You're going to have to try it for more than one series though. It's like a 3 series move if you're going to make it.

If this were a truly new spot to him, then, yes, I'd agree with you. But he's bat 2 in our lineup for what, the last 3 years? Directly in between Altuve and Alvarez. At some point you're going to have to pull the plug, and I don't know about anyone else, but my patience is wearing thin with the vets not named Altuve making bank but not producing near what they are garnering.

If it were me, I give him 5 games there and reevaluate. No days off.
First Page Last Page
Page 353 of 1924

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.