***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,866,627 Views | 67416 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by BCEDAg
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Royals pitching only gets better next 2 games. So there's that.
Prosperdick
AG
Maroon&Fight said:

Have the Aggies and Astros won on the same day yet?
I'm not sure we've had a daily double yet...at least the Ags aren't playing the next two days.
W
AG
gambochaman said:

I think one of the biggest issues was the front office not addressing depth

How tf do you roll out there with singleton and meyers and abreu?
Dana doesn't focus on bench depth

the Astros were a terrible pinch-hitting team last year

and not any better in 2024 so far
The Porkchop Express
AG
Someone tell Verlander he has to go 17-0 when he gets back.
gambochaman
AG
Im starting to prepare myself for the possibility that this team simply wont put it all together this year
Project Gemini
AG
Spaghetti coming up to start Wednesday
fullback44
AG
Our pitching … sure wish we would have went after 1-2 guys, this could be brutal if we don't hurry up and get 1-2 guys back soon
An L of an Ag
AG
Maroon&Fight said:

It's not even close to start thinking about this, but I wonder how long of a leash Espada has if things really start to go sideways

Why the **** didn't we re-hire Hinch after that bull**** suspension expired?!?
agproducer
AG
**** guys. We are 4 games under .500 -- the same 4 we lost to the Yankees to start the year.

We have played .500 ball since then with Abreu being a black hole, a blown save against the Jays, another bullpen meltdown against the Rangers and tonight's lack of sequencing.

We're also down Framber, JV and Urquidy. I'm not mentioning LuAce and LMJ because they aren't expected to be back anytime soon and weren't expected to be here at the beginning of the year.

We dug a hole to start the season. It's going to take time to crawl out of it. Hell, the Angels are leading the division! Do we expect it to stay that way? No. The Rangers are barely above. 500, and the Mariners are not much better than us record wise.

Y'all need to settle down. It's a long season.

We just need to hang around ,500 until July when we get pitching reinforcements.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W
AG
Astros already 0-4 in 1-run games this season
linkdude
AG
This "should" even out, but we desperately need more XBH juice in the lineup. Not sure where it'll come from outside the top 3.
Ags #1
AG
Is starting pitching the issue? Seems like it's everything. Some starters blow so hitters blow some relievers blow
Boiling Denim
Crap are we going to be the 2023 Padres?
Chrundle the Great
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Crap are we going to be the 2023 Padres?
Wabs
AG
I don't like front office meddling, but I think in this case Dana has got to do something to force Espada's hand. It's clear to literally anyone with eyes that Abreu is done. Singleton should be nowhere near this roster, much less getting playing time. I don't give a **** how much we owe Abreu. Would any other top team in MLB have either of these guys on the roster???

Dana needs to get creative. This roster is HIS responsibility. We didn't address OF depth this offseason and it's hurting us. Now, in season, he has got to start being a GM.

Cynic

$95 million for a guy who refuses to pitch more than 1 inning.
Farmer1906
AG
That's what you take out of that quote?
maca1028
Username checks out
iBrad
AG
What was Dana doing this offseason? We needed more starting pitching, more relief pitching, more outfield depth, and a better first baseman. I cant believe we didn't address those needs with the available payroll we had.
jkag89

The Houston Astrodome opened 59 years ago today yesterday, on April 9 1965. It was the world's first multi-purpose domed sports stadium. The Astros played the New York Yankees in an exhibition game. Yankee star Mickey Mantle said, "It reminds me of what I imagine my first ride would be like in a flying saucer." Mantle hit a single and a home run in the game, which went into extra innings, but the Astros won 2-1.
MaxPower
Royals are much improved bed but sometimes things don't break your way. We are in a long stretch of that but hopefully it doesn't turn into a season. Will be interesting to see what they do if below .500 end of June.
FrioAg 00
AG
Right now we are a .500 ball club but for 2 late inning blown saves against the Yankees two weeks ago.

The early panic and turning on our new manager is ridiculous
Twisted Helix
Maybe it's the front office that is tying Joe's hands. Maybe he wants to make some changes but has been encouraged otherwise. I literally have no idea but I agree everyone can see that this, Abreu and Singleton, just isn't working.
TRM
AG
iBrad said:

What was Dana doing this offseason? We needed more starting pitching, more relief pitching, more outfield depth, and a better first baseman. I cant believe we didn't address those needs with the available payroll we had.
I don't know about more starting pitching. There was plenty, but the injury bug hit. For the price of Hader, we could have gotten more relief pitching and outfield depth.
BQRyno
AG
He won't earn himself any favors pinch hitting singleton.
Wabs
AG
Grades so far:

Altuve: A-
Yordan: A
Tucker: B-
Bregman: D
Diaz: B
Chas: D
Abreu: F
Pena: B+
Dubon: B
Meyers: D+
Singleton: F
Caratini: A
Kessinger: ???

Espada: D. He's beginning to lose me with some of his lineup and in-game decisions. He has got to sit Abreu and Singleton and try something else at 1B. Diaz? Dubon? Does Caratini play 1B? Hell, Kessinger?? He also needs to drop Bregman down to 7 or 8. Chas probably needs to some time off as well (unfortunately we have little OF depth/options thanks Dana).

Today I'd shake things up a bit and go with something like:

Altuve 2B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz 1B
Pena SS
Dubon CF
Bregman 3B
Caratini C
Chas or Meyers LF
RC_57
AG
Any idea who will be our SP this Saturday?
AustinCountyAg
you aren't batting bregman 7th in the lineup in the second week of April.
AustinCountyAg
some of yall need to take a deep ****ing breath. It's exhausting that some are asking for a complete overhaul 3 weeks into the season.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

some of yall need to take a deep ****ing breath. It's exhausting that some are asking for a complete overhaul 3 weeks into the season.
We have a different definition of "complete overhaul".
tjack16
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

While I agree a complete overhaul of the lineup isn't necessary… I think benching Abreu and overhauling that particular position is the best move for 2024. Whether that's Loperfido, using Caratini, dubon, etc. Abreu has shown you over the past 170+ games who he is and no signs of improvement.

Other than 1st base, I think we will be fine.
texasaggie2015
AG
If you don't like how Abreu looks defensively at first base, I can assure you that Diaz or Dubon or even Caratini would not be an upgrade. The Astros are just in a bad spot right now at first base and it will likely be that way for another month or so. Loperfido will be given a shot pretty soon if Abreu doesn't turn it around. Or they'll look to trade for a guy like Garrett Cooper for example who can be acquired for pretty cheap. I've asked about Brandon Belt and haven't really gotten a clear answer as to why there hasn't been more conversations other than he wants more than we can give him.

It's just absolutely insane how fast he Abreu fell off. Father time is undefeated- but you rarely if ever see guys go from very productive to worthless overnight like Abreu has. It makes me wonder how much of it is mental. Who knows. He had a decent spring.

As far as Singleton goes, I really don't get why he's on the roster. They love him in the clubhouse but he's bad defensively and outside of working a count he has a huge hole in his swing. I would rather give Cabbage a shot. He's been a strikeout machine but he has a little more upside IMO.

I don't understand those who are already taking shots at Espada. He's in a tough spot with a depleted pitching staff and a couple guys in the lineup who just aren't performing. Maybe he could have done a couple things different here and there.. but for the most part his decisions have been logical. They just haven't worked out.

The good news is that most of these losses have been the result of the Astros screwing themselves. It's not like they're just outmatched and getting their asses beat each night. The rotation will get better and the bullpen will get better as well. This is a very good baseball team that will only get better as the season goes on.
redline248
AG
So far, the 1B position for Houston is producing a blistering 18 wRC+. Surprisingly, that isn't last. That distinction belongs to the Reds, who sport a 6 at the position.
First Page Last Page
Page 199 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.